Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Ocean MPG

Cjw

Cjw

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Completed the 1st 1000 miles in my new T6 Ocean 204PS DSG 4motion. Average MPG is 31.5 miles/gallon. How does that compare with you? I thought I might get a bit more than that. BTW, that's been all rural/motorway 70MPH driving.

Completed the 1st 1000 miles in my new T6 Ocean 204PS DSG 4motion. Average MPG is 31.5 miles/gallon. How does that compare with you? I thought I might get a bit more than that. BTW, that's been all rural/motorway 70MPH driving.

I have a 150 DSG. 7000 miles now. Average is 32.6 mpg. Mostly A roads and mix of long and short trips. I was hoping for a little better myself. On long trips I tend to be getting high 30's or early 40's but the 10 mile run to work seems to bring the average down. Still it is a big brick at the end or the day.

See that other MPG topic doing the rounds today as my post here is a bit of a stuck record and duplicate post but for a brand new and very tight three tonne brick with an auto box and four wheel drive doing 70 odd that sounds pretty fair. Manufacturers Urban or urban quoted figure less 10% is a guideline I've always used for real use. We all know how honest VW are...

See that other MPG topic doing the rounds today as my post here is a bit of a stuck record and duplicate post but for a brand new and very tight three tonne brick with an auto box and four wheel drive doing 70 odd that sounds pretty fair. Manufacturers Urban or urban quoted figure less 10% is a guideline I've always used for real use. We all know how honest VW are...
Thanks...and sorry for the repeat question. I am still getting used to the 'foibles' of the search on the forum. MPG returns nothing. "Miles per Gallon" in quotes gets a few. Cheers.

150DSG
31.2mpg + 85mph
34.2mpg + 75mph

both >500 miles avg.

204DSG
near-as-dammit identical to 150DSG over 1,750 miles last week, same roads, same conditions, same speeds.

Reactions: Cjw
I don't do the mpg,I go by tank full. I normally fill up and get about 375/tank. On a longer runs I'd expect between 450-500/tank.

Typically add something like 60 litres.

Thanks...and sorry for the repeat question. I am still getting used to the 'foibles' of the search on the forum. MPG returns nothing. "Miles per Gallon" in quotes gets a few. Cheers.

No need to apologise - was just apologizing for myself really posting the same old stuff! :)

At the end of the day MPG is a relatively minor cost at this level compared to other costs - what I mean is if you do say 10,000 a year (many Cali's seem to do half that) then 30mpg vs 35mpg is only £250 odd difference over the year.

I thought these were meant to be efficient German vans? They say 44.1mpg so guess that's downhill with wind and no load.

I thought these were meant to be efficient German vans? They say 44.1mpg so guess that's downhill with wind and no load.
and special tyres, hyper inflated, no heating/AirCon/Radio/lights/wipers/No DPF regeneration etc: i.e.: not in the real world.

and special tyres, hyper inflated, no heating/AirCon/Radio/lights/wipers/No DPF regeneration etc: i.e.: not in the real world.
but that would be cheating ...................................:headbang as if ......................

I always thought these were done in laboratory conditions and on a rolling road.

but that would be cheating
I'm struggling to work out how manufactures could give real world figures and give a fair comparison with vehicles of other manufacturers.

Full payload, standard options, no extras, driven over a set European route between the hours of 7am and 7pm on a non-holiday weekday might work, but I expect cheats would be found.

I always thought these were done in laboratory conditions and on a rolling road.

It's all pretty false - hence why advice is to go by the Urban figure for all round driving.

A bit of cut and pasting below from the latest procedure - the acceleration bit is not like a normal person would accelerate - they do it very slowly:

To understand how the figures are calculated it’s necessary to look at the procedure itself. So the playing field is as level as can be, every test is carried out on a rolling road, with an ambient temperature between 20C and 30C. The engines can’t be run beforehand either. In fact, nothing is left to chance.The urban cycle is completed first, and is meant to replicate driving in a built up area. It’s done by accelerating and decelerating from 0mph to speeds of 9, 15 and 20mph. This is repeated three more times and the entire cycle lasts 780 seconds, taking the car 2.8 miles.

The next step is the extra urban cycle, that’s meant to equate to driving on faster roads. Firstly, the car will gently accelerate to 43mph, maintain its speed for 50 seconds and then decelerate to 30mph.

It sticks at 30mph for 69 seconds and then accelerates back to 43mph for a further 50 seconds. Finally, it accelerates to 60mph, maintains speed for 35 seconds and then accelerates to 75mph for a further 10 seconds.

The car then slowly decelerates to a standstill and the cycle ends. The figures consumers will be most interested in are not the urban and extra-urban fuel consumption figures, but the combined consumption that is worked out from the two.

316nbsg.jpg

I just hired a 150 t6 DSG for two months , mixed driving but some long fast motorway trips and did 4500 miles average , MPG 36.8 average .

32MPG here in first 1000 miles, 150 Manual Beach.

Like you I have a new T6 and am slightly disappointed so far with mpg - I think perhaps because I've read reports of folk getting 40mpg. I decided to join Sprintmonitor, to compare with other T6 vans. I think I'm the only Ocean in the UK so if anyone wants join (and dare I say compete!) it would be nice to have some company.
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/my_account.html

150 manual beach and about 33mpg average here. I can get 40 mpg if I try hard but I rarely try hard.

Prvevious vehicle was a subaru impreza so the cali is a big improvement!

Like you I have a new T6 and am slightly disappointed so far with mpg - I think perhaps because I've read reports of folk getting 40mpg. I decided to join Sprintmonitor, to compare with other T6 vans. I think I'm the only Ocean in the UK so if anyone wants join (and dare I say compete!) it would be nice to have some company.
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/my_account.html

Just Joined and have details for my first month of cali Life entered average showing as 29.9

204 manual 4 motion, now with just over 7,000 miles on it . Never had any more than 32mpg or roughly 400 miles before filling the tank , just the way it is . Well used to it ! Not to mention filling it with ad-blue .

I got my T6 Similar configuration) delivered a month ago and for my first trip trough beautiful French country side, 2'800 Km (1700Mi) my average fuel consumption was 7.9 l/100km (35 MPG). My travel was mostly rural departmental roads, 400 Km motorway at max 120 KPH. I find your fuel consumption high but of course one need to consider the type of driving, roads, speed. I would suggests you check again under different conditions. Do not despair...

Iv'e had eight VW group diesels over the the past years and none of them are run until at least 10k, 20k and they have all improved by at least 10-12%.
I don't worry about it now, if you use the van you have accept what the consumption is. The only reason I keep an eye on it is because if it drops it can be an indicator of a problem.

204 manual 4 motion, now with just over 7,000 miles on it . Never had any more than 32mpg or roughly 400 miles before filling the tank , just the way it is . Well used to it ! Not to mention filling it with ad-blue .
What exactly does the ad blue do and what happens if it runs dry?

38mpg on the 'MFD #2' rolling average, driving pretty gently. 9,000 miles 150 DSG Beach.

34.4mpg on 80mph long motorway run fully loaded up to Fort William last week (brimmed > empty > refilled real-world).