Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 oil usage

Stuart

Stuart

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just wondering if anyone has had to top up the oil in their T6 yet? And if so could you state:
  • number of miles driven
  • which engine you have?

Coming from an old car which used to drink oil I’m still in the habit of checking the level very frequently but so far (2000 miles) it hasn’t used any. I imagine I’m being cautious and there are probably people who drive all year without even checking!

Thanks!

Just wondering if anyone has had to top up the oil in their T6 yet? And if so could you state:
  • number of miles driven
  • which engine you have?

Coming from an old car which used to drink oil I’m still in the habit of checking the level very frequently but so far (2000 miles) it hasn’t used any. I imagine I’m being cautious and there are probably people who drive all year without even checking!

Thanks!
I was very trusting of the oil consumption of a new engine and therefore the first time that I checked the oil level was at 500miles and the level was half way down the dipstick. I was very surprised to see the oil at this level and I did a bit of research and apparently new engines can be prone to oil usage / loss. I am not sure if the engine was ever filled with oil to the top of the dipstick or if some oil was used by the engine.

I topped up the oil (approx 500 - 600ml) with the free ltr of oil given during the vehicle handover and the oil was checked again frequently including at 1000miles and 2000miles with no loss of oil.

This thread has prompted me to check the oil again (approx 3200miles now).

Was that just a nice dealer gesture or is one meant to be given a litre of oil with a new cali? What is the ideal oil to use?

Was that just a nice dealer gesture or is one meant to be given a litre of oil with a new cali? What is the ideal oil to use?
It was partly a good will gesture from the dealer ( we also got a free bottle of screen wash ) but also a way to introduce us to the service dept of the dealer. We were advised to use only the correct screen wash or the Jets could become blocked ( don't know if this is true or not ). It was appreciated by us though just incase I sound cynical.

I will double check the recommended oil as I still have the bottle.

Just checked the oil again and still full to top of the dipstick at approx 3200miles

I am not sure if the engine was ever filled with oil to the top of the dipstick ...

Interestingly our free bottle of oil had already been partly used (about 400ml missing) so maybe the dealer topped it up from factory level to the top.

Either that or the van came out the factory filled to the top and the dealer just stole oil some for another purpose!

We were advised to use only the correct screen wash or the Jets could become blocked ( don't know if this is true or not ). It was appreciated by us though just incase I sound cynical.

On my previous car the screenwash went off and the jets (and also non-return valve) got blocked, so I'm definitely going to use decent screen wash on the Cali.

• number of miles driven
  • which engine you have?

Thanks!
4000 miles and not a drop of oil to top up. T6 150HP 4motion

4,500 on a 150 4 motion and still fine on oil. Ad Blue added at around 3,500.
Sitting in Sicily and just noticed the Italian flag on my profile, usually St Andrews cross

4,500 on a 150 4 motion and still fine on oil. Ad Blue added at around 3,500.
Sitting in Sicily and just noticed the Italian flag on my profile, usually St Andrews cross
Murray is going well

Mike

The flag goes on your IP address so if you are in Italy it will show that flag

Wine is going down well :thumb Will keep the driver seat rotated ;)
Scared to watch Murray as I tend to jinx him :Nailbiting

I was very trusting of the oil consumption of a new engine and therefore the first time that I checked the oil level was at 500miles and the level was half way down the dipstick. I was very surprised to see the oil at this level and I did a bit of research and apparently new engines can be prone to oil usage / loss. I am not sure if the engine was ever filled with oil to the top of the dipstick or if some oil was used by the engine.

I topped up the oil (approx 500 - 600ml) with the free ltr of oil given during the vehicle handover and the oil was checked again frequently including at 1000miles and 2000miles with no loss of oil.

This thread has prompted me to check the oil again (approx 3200miles now).
Oil consumption of a new engine is an area of mystery but......some use none, some use a lot!! I have owned cars from new from various manufacturers (BMW, Volkswagen, Peugeot, Vauxhall, Ford, Fiat) they all vary. That said any way of reducing oil consumption should be explored. Excessive oil consumption can be expensive and also a worry. As all manufactured things, engines are assembled within certain tolerances and depending on these will to some extent determine oil consumption. There is, however another contributory factor! Yep, you guessed it, how you drive in the early life of your engine is a really critical/important factor. Go easy! Its not a race to the red line!! Treat the engine like a thing of desire, gently, no extremes, if it sounds harsh , it is harsh! Be in tune with your engines and they will pay you back with dividends. I drive a Yeti 2.0 TDI and a BMW Z4 over the last five years - oil consumption between 20k services? Zero!! I could be just lucky but over the years I am not convinced!! Just chill................

Oil consumption of a new engine is an area of mystery but......some use none, some use a lot!! I have owned cars from new from various manufacturers (BMW, Volkswagen, Peugeot, Vauxhall, Ford, Fiat) they all vary. That said any way of reducing oil consumption should be explored. Excessive oil consumption can be expensive and also a worry. As all manufactured things, engines are assembled within certain tolerances and depending on these will to some extent determine oil consumption. There is, however another contributory factor! Yep, you guessed it, how you drive in the early life of your engine is a really critical/important factor. Go easy! Its not a race to the red line!! Treat the engine like a thing of desire, gently, no extremes, if it sounds harsh , it is harsh! Be in tune with your engines and they will pay you back with dividends. I drive a Yeti 2.0 TDI and a BMW Z4 over the last five years - oil consumption between 20k services? Zero!! I could be just lucky but over the years I am not convinced!! Just chill................
Enjoy the holiday..........

Hi WelshGas

Early Euro 5 T6 were CFCA, only the Euro 6 T6 are not CFCA.
I think you will find only the early T6 Commercials were Euro 5. The California range, classed as Diesel Cars, M1, were all Euro 6 for the T6 models, and the OP has a California Beach.

IMG_0241.jpg

Back