Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 rear door

Scottedog

Scottedog

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi is anyone had 2 bikes on a rear bike rack and found the door won’t stay up? Is there a fix for this apart from carrying a 6ft piece of wood to support it (and removing the bikes)?

It is worth checking if your rear gas struts are the 1250N, and not the standard 950? ones.
Other than that, there won't be much you can do apart from buying heavier struts, with the risk of not being able to close the rear door without bikes, chairs, and full sun on the back.

The 1250 struts are designed to carry the extra weight of the rack only, and not the rack loaded with bikes.
You will have to stick to the piece of 3x2 :thumb

The 1250 struts are designed to carry the extra weight of the rack only, and not the rack loaded with bikes.
You will have to stick to the piece of 3x2 :thumb
The rear door on my Beach stays up with two bikes on the rack and the chairs in.

The OP doesn't say which bike rack they have? I am using the Fiamma T5 Pro 2-bike rack (which will be lighter than the VW supplied one) and the tail gate stays up with our two winter bikes at 9Kg - 10Kg each, but I think this is right on the limit, and stays up easily with our summer carbon bikes at 7.5Kg - 8.5Kg each

Our T5 has 1250N fitted + VW Rack and will hold 2 bikes up with no issues.

Previous T4 had 1250N struts + Fiamma Rack (alot lighter), had to give it a fair amount of pull to close without bikes fitted. If you removed the rack it was like a catapult!

Perhaps the T6 has a slightly heavier tailgate than T4/T5..

I don't think the idea VW had with the bike rack was for
it to be loaded up and the tailgate would hold up with bikes
on it and chairs and wedges and tarps stuck in the rear.

With bikes on the rack it is possible to raise it a bit and grab some stuff out
of the back but anyone raising the tailgate and leaving it up with bikes still on the rack
- beware, its an accident waiting to happen.

I was interested to see these powered struts on a Caravelle in the dealers showroom. Wonder if that will be an option on the T6.1?048F5791-3D97-4C98-98BC-77CBAEDD9374.jpeg0C440C0A-0FA1-4648-A26B-EB533041F60D.jpeg

On my 2019 T6 Ocean, it depends a lot on the temperature or the sun. If below 10 degrees and no sun, you'll need TWO hands to open it and lift it up and one secure hand to hold it. In summer and/or lots of sunshine through the back window it happened that it was holding up with the bikes (1 adult+1child bike) on its own but I wouldn't trust it.

Our T5 has 1250N fitted + VW Rack and will hold 2 bikes up with no issues.

Previous T4 had 1250N struts + Fiamma Rack (alot lighter), had to give it a fair amount of pull to close without bikes fitted. If you removed the rack it was like a catapult!

Perhaps the T6 has a slightly heavier tailgate than T4/T5..
Definitely 2 chairs extra weight

Back