Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 roof - Aluminium or Plastic?

Ben Nevis

Ben Nevis

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Does anyone here know if the spec has been updated from aluminium? Just cleaned mine (which I believe is a 2017 model year) and it really sounds like a plastic composite when its tapped. If so, I will be less concerned about checking for corrosion in future and this may also be of interest to anyone with a T5 warranty claim.

Wishful thinking I'm afraid. No change and they are still using the same part number.

Wishful thinking I'm afraid. No change and they are still using the same part number.
Thanks WG, i was curious because i'm considering a solar panel and was looking at a roof mount. Do you have a link for your removable system?

I have the brand new brochures in Spanish and English obtained in late July.
The UK spec doesn't seem to mention the roof, but the Spanish brochure clearly states the roof is Aluminium.
Also bear on mind that sticking paint to plastic is not as straightforward as you think and that bubbling, but more likely peeling can occur with age... I have some limited experience of this from trying when we were in the tech industry...

My 2017 model roof is aluminium. As far as paint on plastic _ plastic bumpers and other components have painted surfaces and can
withstand abuse and are long lasting in my experience. I will wait and see if the problem is solved but hopefully they have resolved the issue.

I have the brand new brochures in Spanish and English obtained in late July.
The UK spec doesn't seem to mention the roof, but the Spanish brochure clearly states the roof is Aluminium.
Also bear on mind that sticking paint to plastic is not as straightforward as you think and that bubbling, but more likely peeling can occur with age... I have some limited experience of this from trying when we were in the tech industry...

Thanks for your insight into bubbling and peeling paint on plastic. I have a little first hand experience of this technology and suspect the best materials and application was not used if that was the result you have seen. If properly applied I would expect this technology to last as long as the rest of the paintwork on the vehicle but we can agree to differ on this.

However, I was talking about the possibility of a composite roof. My actual hands on experience with composites goes back over 50 years with the colour (pigment) being an integral component of the resin as opposed to merely a painted surface. I currently have some quite large and pristine examples of 42 year old glass reinforced polyester and 25 year old glass reinforced epoxy that look as good as the day they were moulded (with no painting or maintenance other than cleaning and polishing) despite decades of work in some of the most severe marine environments on the planet. My T4 also has a non painted grp composite roof which although only 15 years old is also in perfect condition. These I consider to be thoroughly tried and tested technologies and undoubtedly fit for purpose.

Hense my "wishful thinking" the T6 had been changed to composite.

Thanks for your insight into bubbling and peeling paint on plastic. I have a little first hand experience of this technology and suspect the best materials and application was not used if that was the result you have seen. If properly applied I would expect this technology to last as long as the rest of the paintwork on the vehicle but we can agree to differ on this.

However, I was talking about the possibility of a composite roof. My actual hands on experience with composites goes back over 50 years with the colour (pigment) being an integral component of the resin as opposed to merely a painted surface. I currently have some quite large and pristine examples of 42 year old glass reinforced polyester and 25 year old glass reinforced epoxy that look as good as the day they were moulded (with no painting or maintenance other than cleaning and polishing) despite decades of work in some of the most severe marine environments on the planet. My T4 also has a non painted grp composite roof which although only 15 years old is also in perfect condition. These I consider to be thoroughly tried and tested technologies and undoubtedly fit for purpose.

Hense my "wishful thinking" the T6 had been changed to composite.
This sounds undoutoubly like the best solution.
Like any innovation, most painted plastic products are fine but the quality is far from consistent and older Citroens and not so old Audis have had some problems with paint on plastic. It could come down to environment heat humidity or preparation I guess. After all, one would expect paint on aluminium to be fine. My dad has an old isetta car with 1950's blue paint whilst it has patina effect the paint is on aluminium and has not cracked, blistered or lifted. Likewise my 2011 Cali has no problems with the roof paint blister or even under rubber trim edges as some have experienced.. In reality I have more experience in developing copper on automotive plastic where I was involved in developing patented collision avoidance radar for the motor industry.. Those were the days...

My 2017 model roof is aluminium. As far as paint on plastic _ plastic bumpers and other components have painted surfaces and can
withstand abuse and are long lasting in my experience. I will wait and see if the problem is solved but hopefully they have resolved the issue.

You want to see my flaking front bumper and inserts

Like any innovation, most painted plastic products are fine but the quality is far from consistent and older Citroens and not so old Audis have had some problems with paint on plastic. It could come down to environment heat humidity or preparation I guess. After all, one would expect paint on aluminium to be fine. My dad has an old isetta car with 1950's blue paint whilst it has patina effect the paint is on aluminium and has not cracked, blistered or lifted. Likewise my 2011 Cali has no problems with the roof paint blister or even under rubber trim edges as some have experienced.. In reality I have more experience in developing copper on automotive plastic where I was involved in developing patented collision avoidance radar for the motor industry.. Those were the days...
You are right calicasas we previously had a Westfalia T4 with a composite roof, probably GRP and, after 9 years the paint started to split and peel away from the roof surface.
But, the roof never got stuck up or down, it was hand operated, so much better!

Assuming the paint spec and application is to the best standard, most other corrosion on aluminium that i've seen appears to be caused by stray current or galvanic activity. You've reminded me of an interesting point regarding the Isetta - was that a positive earth electrical system by any chance?

I remember looking at a 1950's Bristol with all aluminium bodywork that had very sound original paintwork with little sign of corrosion after more than 35 years. I believe most positive earth vehicles (mainly pre 1960's with DC generators) suffered far less from corrosion than later negative earth AC alternator vehicles.

Ben, I'm with you on this ...I've read numerous times that the California roof is aluminium but my 2016 T6 Ocean definitely has a plastic roof. I've cleaned it a couple of times and no aluminium in my experience sounds like that!

Ben, I'm with you on this ...I've read numerous times that the California roof is aluminium but my 2016 T6 Ocean definitely has a plastic roof. I've cleaned it a couple of times and no aluminium in my experience sounds like that!
Well must be one of a kind as VW haven't changed the Part Number and as far as I know they haven't changed the manufacturing process either.
I'm sure VW would have publicised such a change but I cannot see it mentioned as one of the changes for the introduction of the T6.

but my 2016 T6 Ocean definitely has a plastic roof.

I remember when the roof issues 1st came up tapping my roof and thinking it did not sound like I expected from aluminium when the paint started coming off it confirmed it. I am sure VW would make a big thing if the changed the roof.

The roof is aluminium and not plastic. They have only made slight mods but definitely still aluminium.

Drill a hole in it and check the swarf ":rolleyes:

NO DONT! Just kidding:D

It certainly doesn't "sound" like aluminium but the majority say it definitely is and so does the current VW configurator!

I therefore conclude either it has some backing/insulation with excellent acoustic properties or that VW have indeed secretly changed it to a plastic composite type without telling anyone in case the warranteers get wind of it and want the new spec.....!

So it looks like it's up to one of T6'ers us to investigate the truth and drill further into this..... now where did I leave the Makita....?

Try using a Stud/Metal/Voltage detector. I've just had ago with a Draper and a Lidl one and both tell me my T5 roof is metal, which We know is right! Also I agree the "ring" of the roof when tapped does not feel/sound metallic, but it is!

OK, I'll take the collective word for it :thumb ...I don't have a suitable detector/meter and my Makita isn't going anywhere near my roof :eek:

I remember when the roof issues 1st came up tapping my roof and thinking it did not sound like I expected from aluminium when the paint started coming off it confirmed it. I am sure VW would make a big thing if the changed the roof.
Doesn't sound like Aluminium, but it is aluminium for sure.. It sounds 'dull' when you tap it so I do understand why people think it's plastic.
If yours were plastic you could always take it back and take VW to task under the misrepresentation act 1967 for advertising an Alu roof...
:bananadance

Last edited:
I guess it just proves what an amazing advanced technology vehicle it is - aluminium roof that sounds completely non metallic and the new euro 6 engines so smooth and quiet they sound like just like petrol but have all that delicious turbo diesel torque!

Back