Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Service Interval

DM

DM

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Has anyone got to the bottom of the service interval on the T6 yet? There must be some 12 month old ones out there now. The dealer called me yesterday advising that their records indicate a service is due.

Information I have found.

1 - at the time of purchase I was told that the service interval is 24 months or 20,000 miles and that oil change services and full services alternate.

2. - VW Vans website says there are two service regimes according to usage. Either 12 month / 12,000 miles or 24 months / 20,000 miles. Regime 1 applies for low overall mileage / short journeys / aggressive driving style. Regime 2 applies for high annual mileage, longer journeys / smooth driving style. (What if you do low mileage but made up of longer motorway journeys)?

3. I have done just under 8,000 miles in just under 12 months. The service indicated says that an oil service is due in 5,000 milles / 344 days and an inspection is due in 12,000 miles / 381 days.

So does it need a service or not? I presume the vehicle indicator is what I should go by? But I'm conscious that the vehicle has not seen a workshop (appear from some minor warranty work) since new - should I have had any sort of free post handover inspection?

I have a pre-paid service package (2 oil + 2 full) so cost isn't a particular concern at the moment. But I, possibly naively, thought my 4 services would last 8 years. That doesn't appear to be the case as the full inspection is due only a month after the oil service.

The service regime for your vehicle depends on what PR code you have on your build label.

Model year PR number Service

2016 ► QI6, QI8 Flexible service

2016 ► QI1, QI2, QI3, QI4, QI5 Fixed service

Attachments

• service_intervals.pdf
    51.8 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
Ok - thanks @Loz - found it.

I have QI8. So that is flexible service. It seems I was mid-advised. The oil change service and Inspection do not alternate. They are Inependent of each other. The first inspection is 2 years or 40,000Km but thereafter they are 1 year / 40,000Km. So it might actually have its two inspections before the two oil services.

That means the 4 services that I was led to believe would last 8 years will actually only last 3 - 4 years. Ah well - if something seems too good to be true it probably is!

Can't really complain. £170 for 4 years servicing is still a good deal :thumb.

That means the 4 services that I was led to believe would last 8 years will actually only last 3 - 4 years. Ah well - if something seems too good to be true it probably is!

Can't really complain. £170 for 4 years servicing is still a good deal :thumb.
You didn't mention that, in that case you need to ask(TELL) the dealer to swap you onto the fixed service regime and just wheel it in every year or 10K miles whatever occurs first.

You didn't mention that, in that case you need to ask(TELL) the dealer to swap you onto the fixed service regime and just wheel it in every year or 10K miles whatever occurs first.
That wouldn't help. The fixed regime has an oil service every year and the inspection regime is much the same.

At least an oil change every year on all my vehicles what ever the mileage.
Two years between oil changes just doesn't sit right with me no matter what the experts say.
It's my money and I'll waste it where I want:thumb

At least an oil change every year on all my vehicles what ever the mileage.
Two years between oil changes just doesn't sit right with me no matter what the experts say.
It's my money and I'll waste it where I want:thumb

Understand where you are coming from. The VW long oil change interval is contencious. I read the bit in the service booklet about it. VW claim to use a special long life oil. They are very clear that this is the only oil that may be used for them to support the Flexible service regime. If you top-up with anything else then it reverts to fixed service interval. So perhaps I need to carry a litre. Does anyone know what this stuff costs in comparison to a decent regular oil?

Longlife is for fleet managers looking to save costs, if it's your pride and Joy you want to keep then my advise is to switch to T&D at 10K

Hi DM,

I had a call from the dealer offering me a "free" inspection. They said I could pop it in and they'd give it a thorough going over for free. It's under warranty so what have I got to lose?

I was also thinking the same - shall I service it after year 1 or wait until the service indicator tells me it's due?

I've opted for the "free" inspection and asked them to fix a few niggles under warrantly. e.g. Sliding door blind and a parking sensor that appears to have come a little unstuck and is not flush with the bumper.

I'm also going to get them to do an oil change when it's in.

I can't imagine it will be much and as I'm planning to keep it long term an oil change won't do it any harm.

All ready for a spring and summer of fun. ;)

Reactions: DM
This is all very interesting and nudged me to have a look at mine. Never really knew where to look. So mine is Q18 as well - flexible. What do I do to get it changed to a fixed regime? Is it just a case of monitoring myself or is there a software change.
While I'm on the dumb questions how on earth do you access the fuses in the comfort dash. I suspect I'm just being a bit delicate.

Mike

This is all very interesting and nudged me to have a look at mine. Never really knew where to look. So mine is Q18 as well - flexible. What do I do to get it changed to a fixed regime? Is it just a case of monitoring myself or is there a software change.
While I'm on the dumb questions how on earth do you access the fuses in the comfort dash. I suspect I'm just being a bit delicate.

Mike

I've no idea whether it actually needs to be changed Mike. I'm going to call the dealer this afternoon so I'll ask. I'm still in 2 minds about whether to stay flexible or go fixed. It only makes a difference for the oil service - the ispection interval is exactly the same for both regimes. If the oil really is designed to last that long then maybe its best left untouched. Not sure .....................

I've no idea whether it actually needs to be changed Mike. I'm going to call the dealer this afternoon so I'll ask. I'm still in 2 minds about whether to stay flexible or go fixed. It only makes a difference for the oil service - the ispection interval is exactly the same for both regimes. If the oil really is designed to last that long then maybe its best left untouched. Not sure .....................
Thanks DM. Worth a chat with them to friends out. Seems to depend on if you are doing high mileage and long trips or low mileage and short trips. A matter of judgement but I would favour the better safe than sorry route. I think!

Mike

But what about (relatively) low mileage made up entirely of long trips ??

For the sake of £100 I would change the oil and filter yearly.
You've just spent circa £50,000, £100 a year for peace of mind is well worth it and it's not going to break the bank.

Yep and there in lies the problem and the better safe than sorry route. I think the fixed though is aimed at the short trips and low mileage users. Let's try and be the long trips frequently brigade

Mike

Mike
Hi Mike,
I would ask to have it reprogrammed to time and distance.
to access the fuses reach into the bottle holder and squeeze the 2 black lugs together and the drinks holder comes out and up.

And standing around in between. Any oil exposed to air and moisture degrades.
I'm on Long Life oil change. The thing is I'm doing 20,000 miles/Year.
So 2 years old, 2 Services and oil change, each done after 20,000 miles.

When I reached 40,000 miles the Oil Service indicator showed 6,500 miles to go, but had oil change anyway.

I believe there is nothing wrong with the Long Life service provided the service/mileage is completed within a reasonable time interval of 1 year or less.

Yep and there in lies the problem and the better safe than sorry route. I think the fixed though is aimed at the short trips and low mileage users. Let's try and be the long trips frequently brigade

Mike

Mike

You can reset the service indicator with a combination of ignition turns and button presses. Not sure if you can change regimes.

Hi Mike,
I would ask to have it reprogrammed to time and distance.
to access the fuses reach into the bottle holder and squeeze the 2 black lugs together and the drinks holder comes out and up.
Thanks Loz

Mike

The plot thickens. Spoke to the dealer today about servicing. They are stating that info in service book is 'misleading'. Apparently I have paid for 4 services. I can either elect to have them fixed or flexible (currently registered as flexible). Each 'service' in my plan consists of an oil service and an inspection. So my 4 service plan will last 4 years if I elect to have a fixed interval or approximately 8 years if I stay on flexible.

So I'll change onto fixed and get an oil service and inspection in the next few weeks. And won't have to pay until year 5 (excepting wear and tear replacements). Sorted.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
that's what I'd do DM - they're bound to spot something else you'd prefer to know about whilst it's in.

Hi all, question: in my owner’s manual pack l don’t seem to have a “ service book” this is 2017/18 ocean? Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks

It's all held as an electronic service record by VW. Any VW dealer can print out the service history. Of course that only includes work done by VW. The cynic in me observes that this is a way to 'encourage' us to use VW for everything.

You've reminded me that I am still waiting for a print out of the work done on my Ocean 6 months ago!! It is my intention to keep a paper record myself so that if I have any routine work done anywhere else I can produce a single record when I come to sell it on (not that I intend to do that any time soon) :).

Back