Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 sliding door - power close ‘difficult’

edocali

edocali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi
my T6 Ocean sliding door has become increasingly difficult to close properly.
If closed gently, the power mechanism that brings ‘in’ the door at then never engages. It can be nudged to close from the exterior, by pushing.
Or, from the inside, a hard slam is required.

Does it should like a warranty issue I hope ?

Hi
my T6 Ocean sliding door has become increasingly difficult to close properly.
If closed gently, the power mechanism that brings ‘in’ the door at then never engages. It can be nudged to close from the exterior, by pushing.
Or, from the inside, a hard slam is required.

Does it should like a warranty issue I hope ?

A bit of silicone grease to the mechanism that pulls it in should do the trick. It does get sticky.

Can anyone please kindly post a pic of the parts to lubricate ? Thanks

@edocali , here we go. Two pics, including one closeup. If you don't have silicone grease right now, It will help to clean up first with WD40 and then apply silicone grease later. A squirt of WD40 will definitely help clean up whatever is jamming up the mechanism.

PXL_20201214_152858451.jpg

PXL_20201214_152853894.jpg

Thanks @kurienp and @ArunAlec
I tried WD40 followed by silicon spray and it has improved. I should try a perfect door as I still feel it's not as it was when new but this will save me an immediate trip to a van center. cheers

Thanks @kurienp and @ArunAlec
I tried WD40 followed by silicon spray and it has improved. I should try a perfect door as I still feel it's not as it was when new but this will save me an immediate trip to a van center. cheers
Awesome. Repeat after a few days - wd-40 followed by some ptfe or silicone dry lube and it will improve further.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

What is the correct term for the socket / tool needed to undo those screws on the door catch? One f mine is loose and just needs tightening up, but its not a Torx or Allen key, so what is it I am trying to find?
Thanks

What is the correct term for the socket / tool needed to undo those screws on the door catch? One f mine is loose and just needs tightening up, but its not a Torx or Allen key, so what is it I am trying to find?
Thanks
Also, does anyone know the torque setting for this?

Thanks

Also, does anyone know the torque setting for this?
Hi @geotim , that looks like a secure torx. A standard torx should fit but be careful to get a snug fit. If it is loose, I would use some medium strength loctite and just tighten it as much as possible without stripping the head. Accessibility to that screw is not easy and maybe that is the reason why they have used a different torx type.

That fixture does not take the door vertical load. It is keeping the door in place but has horizontal load when the door is locked. If a screw is loose, is it keeping your door closed?

Give me some time and I will step out to take a closer look at it and suggest.

Hi @geotim , that looks like a secure torx. A standard torx should fit but be careful to get a snug fit. If it is loose, I would use some medium strength loctite and just tighten it as much as possible without stripping the head. Accessibility to that screw is not easy and maybe that is the reason why they have used a different torx type.

That fixture does not take the door vertical load. It is keeping the door in place but has horizontal load when the door is locked. If a screw is loose, is it keeping your door closed?

Give me some time and I will step out to take a closer look at it and suggest.

Ok. just had a lookie. It is more like a triple square. The reason why I suspect it is a Triple square (and not a double hex) is that TSq are used in high torque situations. This having to take a high vertical load, especially in case of a collision, it will be a. The only option if you want to tighten is to get a full set of TSq bits and see which one fits. May still be cheaper than getting it into a dealer to fix (and, hey ho, it is Christmas, a reason to add to all your existing bits and sockets :thumb:thumb:D:D:D)

Thanks, got a set online for a tenner and fitted well, so I tightened it to “red face” setting and its doing great.

Thanks, got a set online for a tenner and fitted well, so I tightened it to “red face” setting and its doing great.
That is great @geotim . If you are able to post a link to the set that you got online please, will help others searching on this thread :thumb

Back