Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Tailgate Bike Rack Poll (Kylie or Quasi)

Recent T6 buyers, which tailgate bike rack are you choosing (Poll)

• Kylie (looks like the T5 model)

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • Quasimodo (the new angular design for the T6)

Votes: 13 37.1%

• Total voters
2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I've seen a few Kylie racks on the new T6's being picked up. I was interested in the split between the pretty Kylie (which is technically for the electric tailgate T6's) and the newer design Quasimodo. Ideally just for recent owners rather than earlier T6 owners that didn't have the choice. I struggled with this decision and went Kylie at the very last minute.

Kylie shown first on white, Quasi shown 2nd on red

kylie.JPG

quasi.JPG

Last edited:
The Quasi looks like it was designed for the Cali, the other one looks as though it's designed to be used on a number of different vehicles and therefore not as neat.

Wont be going for either because our tow bar mounted Thule is now on it's third Cali. So I've saved money on the bike racks but spent it on tow bars!

Last edited by a moderator:
I always wondered why it was called the Quasimodo and now seeing them side by side it is obvious, to me it looks like an aftermarket job from Halfords, it really does not fit the lines of the Cali at all
I agree with your opinion based on these 2 pictures alone and even with pictures that are more comparable Kylie rack is neater.
But Quasi rack looks much better in the flesh than in photo's and somehow makes Kylie look a bit dated to me.
Each to their own with this one!! But it's Quasi for me.
Some good comparison pics here
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/quasimodo-t6-bike-rack.13296/

In defense of the Quasi, I think it has some 'easier' features (the straps particularly) that aid its use. I wonder if there is less of a drag issue too, as the bulk of it is more inside the envelope (hole) created by the van?

Quasimodo just sticks out too far when closed, I agree it does look like a universal bike rack and not something that's costs £500

The Quasi looks like it was'nt designed for the Cali, the other one looks as though it's designed to be used on a number of different vehicles and therefore not as neat.

Wont be going for either because our tow bar mounted Thule is now on it's third Cali. So I've saved money on the bike racks but spent it on tow bars!
Not sure what's happened here but that wasn't what I intended to say. I meant to say the Kylie looks like it's designed for the Cali (neat), the Quasi possibly designed to fit different vehicles therefore not as neat. Post was edited by a moderator (?) so not sure what I did say!

NB: The cursor on my Macbook has a habit of jumping somewhere else in the text while I'm typing, possibly I touch the trackpad but not sure. There used to be a setting in OSX to prevent this happening but it's disappeared from System Preferences.

I think it's the rounded corners on the Kylie that make it look dated, as they suit the more rounded edges of the the T5 and T5.1.

The T6 is much more angular as a vehicle with sharper lines etc and the Quasi fits that design brief. It's just a shame they couldn't have made it a bit more low profile to the back of the vehicle when closed, that's all.

I spent weeks on this decision! Kylie definitely looks prettier but quite dated now, and Quasimodo has a few features which make it better for actually for carrying bikes, especially modern mtbs.

Add in the choice of decent tow bar rack and it really is a tough one!

I had a look at both bike racks fitted to vehicles at a dealer as I had the same dilemma. The quasi rack was Engineered to a higher standard but the kylie rack was a bit easier on the eye however I thought this was a lot to do with familiarity from it being around for many years and the quasi would become the same over time. also I prefer the way the quasi holds bikes further away from the window which is useful as bikes tend to have wider handle bars these days.

I went for the quasi and I now prefer the look of the van with the rack than without. When I see other vans fitted with the quasi I think they actually look good (not saying better looking than the kylie).

Last edited:
Kylie looks far classier in my opinion and OEM.

I go for function over form every time. The Quasi does the job perfectly and securely.

We carted 2 adult bikes, 2 toddlers bikes and a 2 seat child trailer to Nordkapp and back via Finland and the Baltic states without issue last summer.

a3f4a311fb87fa72d5cc7618d92b96ab.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I have the T5 Kylie style. I wish there was a Quasi for the T5. To fit our 4 bikes on I first have to remove a pedal from my bike to stop it fouling the rear wiper arm. I then have to cut bits of pipe lagging to sit over the wheel rims to stop the straps damaging the rims. The Quasi may not look as nice when folded flat against the van but it looks much better at holding bikes which is its sole purpose.

When I bought I didn't realise that the design of the back rack had changed, so ended up with the Quasimodo. Had I been given the option I would chosen the Kylie as I think it looks nicer. Not going to change it now though, it does the job

I picked the Quasi based on the fact that it is simple to flip the base back up after removing the bike for a ride. No messing about with the straps.

Also, I only carry one bike, so have removed two of the rails, giving better rearward visibility when no bike is mounted. This cannot be done with the Kylie.

Really good to hear the different views and informative posts. I’m shocked by the poll (2/3rds kylie currently, and similar from the start) as may be VW.

Perhaps some of us are a conservative bunch. I am, but do appreciate that life moves on. I wasn’t that keen on the T6 when it arrived but now I own one and appreciate the changes.

Need to buy one soon as our daughter is just about hitting bike age. Out of interest, what kind of prices are being charged for Kylie and Quasi if bought on their own?

Need to buy one soon as our daughter is just about hitting bike age. Out of interest, what kind of prices are being charged for Kylie and Quasi if bought on their own?
£520 ish seems to be available if you shop around. £450 if you are very lucky (York had some at this money).

Back