Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Timing Belt

greenp

greenp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
My T6 Ocean is now 4 years old, VW main dealer email me, my Timing Belt is due to be replaced!
This is a 4 year or 80,000 miles job.. mine has done 53,000 miles... Do I leave it another year before I get it done?? Interested in your thoughts
Many thanks
Paul

My T6 Ocean is now 4 years old, VW main dealer email me, my Timing Belt is due to be replaced!
This is a 4 year or 80,000 miles job.. mine has done 53,000 miles... Do I leave it another year before I get it done?? Interested in your thoughts
Many thanks
Paul
Is it worth the risk?

I would and in fact do leave for at least 5 years but dont exceed the mileage . Im afraid cambelt replacements are another area where VAG group applies differing standards across countries. Eg CITIGO every 5 yrs is a UK only requirement (actually a recommendation) I would ask some of our non UK members.

They still have time interval in the UK?

In my booklet it says only: 210 000 km (+/- 130000mi?). No time schedule.
Mine is already spinning around for 10 years and 140 000 km. I am not changing it sooner than 210000 km. It will take me about another 6 years.

I would and in fact do leave for at least 5 years but dont exceed the mileage . Im afraid cambelt replacements are another area where VAG group applies differing standards across countries. Eg CITIGO every 5 yrs is a UK only requirement (actually a recommendation) I would ask some of our non UK members.
I’m sure it’s something like 6/8 yrs on the continent. It’s one of those jobs that you really don’t feel like paying for but will always make you think what if ........
Mine is 8 yrs old next summer so I should change it again. RIP off.

I’m sure it’s something like 6/8 yrs on the continent. It’s one of those jobs that you really don’t feel like paying for but will always make you think what if ........
Mine is 8 yrs old next summer so I should change it again. RIP off.
Do you have the CCHA engine, like me? Or do you have the newer 140 hp?
Do you really think VW puts on a different timing belt for the UK?
My van is older than yours, has probably done more miles (kms in my case) than yours? and still runs on the original factory timing belt.
Better safe than sorry, but if VW states only to replace it by kms (mi), and not by time, who am I to discuss that?
If the UK booklet states something different, then you can only rely on that, and what the UK dealers are instructed too.
If they would ignore that, and your timing belt would snap, than they will have to carry the costs of the result.

Mine is already spinning around for 10 years and 140 000 km. I am not changing it sooner than 210000 km. It will take me about another 6 years.

Yep , Im afraid its another well known VAG UK money making scam. Folk will make their own choice but the inconsistent data is clear to see.

I don't accept this idea that UK motorists are being conned in the U.K. We have one of the highest population density of any European country and high car ownership with a smaller road network thus a high density of vehicles/mile. I can drive for hundreds of miles on the continent and rarely have to stop. Not so in the U.K. It is the constant changes in engine speed that promote wear not running at constant speeds.
I changed mine at 4 yrs and 79,000 miles.
I will always change at 4 yr intervals or 80,000 miles. If the milage is less then probably due to shorter journeys and more stop/start than motorway cruising thus more wear. Just my opinion/rational.

What's the going rate for a belt replacement in the UK at the minute?
I may have to start saving for a couple of years

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Do you have the CCHA engine, like me? Or do you have the newer 140 hp?
Do you really think VW puts on a different timing belt for the UK?
My van is older than yours, has probably done more miles (kms in my case) than yours? and still runs on the original factory timing belt.
Better safe than sorry, but if VW states only to replace it by kms (mi), and not by time, who am I to discuss that?
If the UK booklet states something different, then you can only rely on that, and what the UK dealers are instructed too.
If they would ignore that, and your timing belt would snap, than they will have to carry the costs of the result.

If you get into the weeds the UK is actually advisory additional work rather like brake fluid change. Some Skoda folk have challenged it and got all sorts of answers. On the citigo they want you to shell out every 5 yrs £500 + on a 8k car irrespective of mileage. Call VW outside uk and its 120,000km or some such. Needless to say I told them to go away. Actually my opinion is 6 years and 80k is a sensible safe side compromise. My only cambelt failure on a RS 2000 was at 80k but of course a modern belt is a far superior over engineered product if you look at one.

What's the going rate for a belt replacement in the UK at the minute?
I may have to start saving for a couple of years

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
About £550 including water pump.

I don't accept this idea that UK motorists are being conned in the U.K. We have one of the highest population density of any European country and high car ownership with a smaller road network thus a high density of vehicles/mile. I can drive for hundreds of miles on the continent and rarely have to stop. Not so in the U.K. It is the constant changes in engine speed that promote wear not running at constant speeds.
I changed mine at 4 yrs and 79,000 miles.
I will always change at 4 yr intervals or 80,000 miles. If the milage is less then probably due to shorter journeys and more stop/start than motorway cruising thus more wear. Just my opinion/rational.

I have to disagree on some aspects. In engineering terms its the amount of time at tickover, number of miles (bend cycles) the number of cold starts, adverse ambient temperature and air cleanliness that affect the life.
If you live in a city in EU its the same old demands plus further south its a hotter climate like lyon for example.
Its a profit scheme for the dealers in the UK much like the discs and pads deal.

I do agree its down to opinion and personal useage and wouldnt argue with your rationale although personally it would be nearer 6yrs and 80k

Many thanks
Paul
How much longer do you intend to keep it? If only 1 to 2 years I'd leave it until just before selling as you'll get the money back on selling price and ease of finding a buyer.

Wife's previous EOS had the cam belt done at 5 years with approx 18,000 miles recorded.
I did an Audi once as a DIY at 56,000 miles and got a surprise at how near to disintegrating it was when removed, looked ok when on the engine.

Its a profit scheme for the dealers in the UK much like the discs and pads deal.
Interested in what you mean by/what the issue is with the discs and pads deal?

Perhaps we should all sponsor a test van / victim to run one until the belt breaks.
The problem is that the better safe than sorry rule means we get them done when they would probably go on for ages but who would risk it.
Had mine done at 40,000. BTW

Interested in what you mean by/what the issue is with the discs and pads deal?

Very often spec replacement rather early and often new discs required. A big deal in Porsche servicing for instance. When you measure them they have loads of life. Not always the case before someone jumps in and says mine were corroded to hell and back. The discs are also made of an inferior grade of Cast Iron hence why they corrode so quickly , all manufacturers do this pretty well.
The service department is one of the main profit centres in an franchise car dealership these days , so need to be mindful.

Perhaps we should all sponsor a test van / victim to run one until the belt breaks.
The problem is that the better safe than sorry rule means we get them done when they would probably go on for ages but who would risk it.

Me for starters. Thing is replacing the belt is not without risk,. By doing it at half time the net risk is probably the same but your 550 quid lighter.
If running longer intervals was really an issue failures would be all over the internet as lots of people ignore such things once out the warranty and in the EU mainland they are collectively not doing them until 120km as a service item.

Haven't read the small print but in or out of warranty surely is a factor in this. Assuming in warranty then replacing iaw the schedule by VW would presumably mean that subsequent failure within the warranty period would be covered. Thus VW risk. Not replacing iaw schedule would presumably mean not covered within remaining warranty period, thus owners risk. Lots of factors, and different equation if already out of warranty.

Well, I am doing it for you guys.
The only problem will be that I chicken out at 210000 km.

Very often spec replacement rather early and often new discs required. A big deal in Porsche servicing for instance. When you measure them they have loads of life. Not always the case before someone jumps in and says mine were corroded to hell and back. The discs are also made of an inferior grade of Cast Iron hence why they corrode so quickly , all manufacturers do this pretty well.
The service department is one of the main profit centres in an franchise car dealership these days , so need to be mindful.
I think 1 set of pads and front disks at 77,000 miles quit acceptable.:thumb

Back