Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Towbar - Advice / help needed please!!

Hi John, I’m having one fitted next week. PF Jones. They come we’ll reviewed by folks on here as far as I can tell. £620 for the WF detachable. With bespoke wiring loom and coding. Fitted on my drive. Interestingly, PF Jones charge extra if you want them to use the trailer prep. It’s more work. Their bespoke loom runs under the van and up to the front Meaning they don’t need to mess about with pulling trim off inside the van. Which I prefer I think. Hopefully fitting will go well, they’ve been good so far and seem knowledgeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone, thank you for all your help, I have found the info now and we after all that we do not have the electric prep!!
Final question if you don’t mind, my local supplier who is highly recommended and very reputable, would fit a flange fixed as oppose to a swan neck. His comment was that they have fitted 000’s of these and they work perfectly.
Does anyone know of any reason why the flange wouldn’t be ok??
Is that wired into the vehicle electronics + coding?
That switches off parking sensors and rear fog light and also adjusts braking power front to rear when towing or fitting a towbar bike rack to take account of the extra weight on rear suspension.

Main thing to watch would be the height & distance of the ball to the rear bumper if you are looking at using a fold down bike rack etc. The clearance seems to vary even with a "standard" detachable bar.

Main thing to watch would be the height & distance of the ball to the rear bumper if you are looking at using a fold down bike rack etc. The clearance seems to vary even with a "standard" detachable bar.

Have had Westfalia's towbars fitted on 3 vehicles ; all supplied by PF Jones, and they have always been the best fit (no bumper cuts + ample space) & no issues with electrics after fitting.

Sorry I wasn't clear, its not the actual fit of the towbar, its the length I meant to ensure its far enough away from the back of the van to allow the boot to open whilst a folding rack is fitted. IE try and get as long a tow bar as possible.

Hi everyone, thank you for all your help, I have found the info now and we after all that we do not have the electric prep!!
Final question if you don’t mind, my local supplier who is highly recommended and very reputable, would fit a flange fixed as oppose to a swan neck. His comment was that they have fitted 000’s of these and they work perfectly.
Does anyone know of any reason why the flange wouldn’t be ok??
Personally I think the flange ball is rather ugly, more builders van than leisure vehicle, although they are strong and work well.

The angle iron bar behind the bumper has to come below the bumper and then up in front of it to position the flange at the right height. Add the bolts and plug socket plate and it all looks rather poor.

Alan

I fitted an Oris Swan neck towbar to my van. It is code 033-602 and costs £94.51 from PF Jones. It is a very neat looking installation. The Swan Neck ball hitch can be easily removed in a couple of minutes by loosening 2 bolts. It has the advantages of a removable towbar at a much lower cost. I would recommend a Swan Neck rather than flange for a campervan.

A few advantages of a fixed towbar are
Nothing to stow inside.
Gives extra protection if accidentally getting too close to an obstacle.
Drivers that park by bumping into you then moving back don't damage your bumper.
A spacer can be fitted to move the ball out for better Bike Rack clearance.

You soon learn the hard way not to bash your shins.

Towbar Express come to you and are competitive on price. Online quote.

Back