Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Towbar for Thule Velospace XT3

G

GeorgeandAnne

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello all!

George has been given some bonus vouchers to buy stuff for his leisure pursuits. We can choose Halfords for the vouchers, so we thought we’d finally use them towards buying a tow bar and bike rack for 3 bikes for our Cali Beach T6.

Little did we know that we’d be falling down a rabbit hole when we made this decision.

We wanted the Thule Velospace XT3 because it’s low down, so won’t cripple me when I’m out and about without George (it has a cute little ramp). And it tilts out to allow the boot to open.

But apparently you get different effects with different tow bars. So can someone tell us WHICH tow ball we’ll need for the Thule Velospace XT3 for optimal performance, tilting etc?

We’d be so grateful.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a look at the video on you tube made by "california time" with reference to tow bar mounted cycle racks may help. We have just bought the easy fold 2 bike rack (thule) which fits the standard VW tow bar from factory. If you wanted to save some cash Volvo sell the exact bike rack for some £200 less , it just says volvo instead of "thule". There is a tension adjuster on the tow bar clamp so locking it on is not an issue.

Hello all!

George has been given some bonus vouchers to buy stuff for his leisure pursuits. We can choose Halfords for the vouchers, so we thought we’d finally use them towards buying a tow bar and bike rack for 3 bikes for our Cali Beach T6.

Little did we know that we’d be falling down a rabbit hole when we made this decision.

We wanted the Thule Velospace XT3 because it’s low down, so won’t cripple me when I’m out and about without George (it has a cute little ramp). And it tilts out to allow the boot to open.

But apparently you get different effects with different tow bars. So can someone tell us WHICH tow ball we’ll need for the Thule Velospace XT3 for optimal performance, tilting etc?

We’d be so grateful.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can see that you question is on the tow ball (the ball at the end of a tow bar). The standard is a 50mm diameter (~1.9 inch) tow ball in the UK. The old standard of - 7/8th ball (47.5mm) is now obsolete and you will not find it anywhere.

On the tow bar itself - you have 2 types and 2 options
  • Flange Towbar - which is a towbar attached to a flange. This is usually quite unsightly as the flange is always visible.
  • Swan Neck Towbar - has a U shape ... and usually better especially when it is a removable one, as then you can avoid hitting your shin on it an swearing (and people looking at you and wondering what happened.
  • Fixed Towbar - as it says, cannot be removed and is available for both Flange and Swan Neck
  • Detachable Towbar - able to detach easily and store in the van and use only when needed - again available in both Flange and Swan neck
I have a detachable Swan Neck bar ... but have not removed it since I purchased ... so it is more like a fixed swan neck now ;)

Hope the information above helps. A tow bar is always a great investment.