Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 tyre size changed ?

Brianc26

Brianc26

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Has anyone else got 215 tyres instead of the 235 that where on the t5 ? On 17" alloys

Surely the 235 would handle better ?

215 on the 150PS
235 on the 204PS

There is an option to upgrade the tyres to 235 on the 150PS, but only to all season tyres. Think it is around £120 from memory

Seems a bad decision from VW

Surely the 235 would handle better ?
Manufacturers usually spend a lot of time and money verifying which tyre size optimises performance. The 2 tyre sizes on offer have a small % difference in diameter so the rolling circumference is very similar therefore they are compatible with speedo setup etc. there will no doubt be a compromise between comfort and handling between the 2 sizes

Possibly related to CO2 emissions, or maybe need the narrower tyres to make the 150PS appear more economical to the 204PS

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Most probably due to the higher PS and especially torque put through the tyres by the 204PS rather than any visual reasons.
Back in my youth 100PS per litre was in the race engine domain only. Now even an oil burner gives more than that!!

I always thought it was 100bhp per ton made a quick car ? Anyway 204bhp in a California… is it really needed. The 140/150bhp suits me perfect for a nice relaxing drive

Just been looking at engine output figures for the 3 engines which are quite wide ranging for the same block.

102PS + 3,750rpm: Torque 250Nm + 1,500 to 2,750rpm

150PS + 3,250-3,750:Torque 340Nm + 1,500 to 3,750

204PS + 4,000 Torque 450Nm + 1,400 to 2,400

PS or BHP is needed for high speed travel but what is more important for driveability especially in a 3 tonnes California is torque. This is what gives the ability to cruise up & down hill in an easy relaxed steady speed. It also is the factor that makes for quick & safe overtaking and not being left behind when travelling in a convoy (cars keep nipping past and you go down the queue)

Looking at the figures I'd say the 150 engine has the best figures as if you look at the rpm range that it produces it's power it will be a very flexible engine, good for manual or auto gearboxes.
The 204 engine with a huge 450Nm torque from only 1,400rpm should be a 'lazy' engine to drive, ie quite happy to potter about the country lanes or in town but get the motorway bits completed without any fuss or worrying about getting your speed up to pop into a gap in the fast lane.

No idea as to the differences in the real time driving characteristics but nearly twice the power over a 100PS on the 204PS is certainly a carrot I couldn't resist when ordering.
I haven't got mine yet:(.
A 204 4motion DSG.

Interested to know what revs are shown at 70MPH on the T6's

Just been looking at engine output figures for the 3 engines which are quite wide ranging for the same block.

102PS + 3,750rpm: Torque 250Nm + 1,500 to 2,750rpm

150PS + 3,250-3,750:Torque 340Nm + 1,500 to 3,750

204PS + 4,000 Torque 450Nm + 1,400 to 2,400

PS or BHP is needed for high speed travel but what is more important for driveability especially in a 3 tonnes California is torque. This is what gives the ability to cruise up & down hill in an easy relaxed steady speed. It also is the factor that makes for quick & safe overtaking and not being left behind when travelling in a convoy (cars keep nipping past and you go down the queue)

Looking at the figures I'd say the 150 engine has the best figures as if you look at the rpm range that it produces it's power it will be a very flexible engine, good for manual or auto gearboxes.
The 204 engine with a huge 450Nm torque from only 1,400rpm should be a 'lazy' engine to drive, ie quite happy to potter about the country lanes or in town but get the motorway bits completed without any fuss or worrying about getting your speed up to pop into a gap in the fast lane.

No idea as to the differences in the real time driving characteristics but nearly twice the power over a 100PS on the 204PS is certainly a carrot I couldn't resist when ordering.
I haven't got mine yet:(.
A 204 4motion DSG.

Interested to know what revs are shown at 70MPH on the T6's

With GPS reading mine is just over 2000rpm. Speedo indicated it's just below. Not scientific, just glanced at the dials.