Tailgate awnings and campsites

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
We are looking for a tailgate awning for the Beach to support our slidepod etc.

We don't want to spend a fortune but would prefer a driveaway.

Something that has a rear or side door but won't be a problem on the paintwork. Reimo seem to do a good one but it doesnt seem to be drive away.

Anyone recommend anything else? All we really need is a weather cover.

Also heard a weird rumour that in France, your tailgate awning can't extend past the tailgate?

We have the Outdoor Revolution tailgate drive away, very good quality and packs away quite small which was a big consideration for us. I also think the club shop now sells these.

We have the Outdoor Revolution tailgate drive away, very good quality and packs away quite small which was a big consideration for us. I also think the club shop now sells these.
Are you at the Brean sands meet by any chance? I would really like to see one.

The club shop does indeed have them which with the VIP discount in the club shop it is very tempting indeed. Definitely top of the list now.

How do you find it in use on site?

Well we pitched the awning for the first time yesterday and thought we would take a few pics as it goes up. Fortunately it was a lot easier than we expected and it was up by the third picture haha. I'll write a full review when we've had a week with it (ending at Brean) but post my initial impressions here which are very good so far.

Bigger than I expected, nice and roomy. Enough space for my beach table and 4 chairs and that's excluding the tunnel.

It is one of the easiest tents I've ever had to erect literally assemble poles thread through, attach legs to corner pins and peg. You then in theory reverse your van upto it but we just lifted it in place. It is light weight about 10kg packed away.

The tunnel is designed to be adjusted with elastic and some straps that can be tightened but I'm not sure we got it right to be honest as the instructions don't mention those guy ropes but it stayed in place and gave us a handy space for the Slidepod to cook in. The tailgate can still be opened and closed.

It has doors on all 4 sides which is pretty amazing plus 2 windows with zip down curtains and a door in the tunnel. It can effectively change from a tent to a open sided gazebo.

The ground sheet has a raised side so you don't need to worry about water getting in although it's not fixed to the sides in the centre this is held in place by bungees. We find it helps keep the tent cool and ventilated which is good for our intended use of the awning.

First impressions, roomy, very versatile and impressive for the price point, just how well thought out it is. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/outdoor-revolution-movelite-cayman-tail-drive-away-awing

af7dfd55fac7f8d881377e28b0edfc4b.jpg
e8d04564e1ace1a30fda2bc102cd1050.jpg
2cd4691fc106094f7d797bcd4dd02e26.jpg
bbe6ba0a84612a2106c8701460ec3e26.jpg

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/outdoor-revolution-movelite-cayman-tail-drive-away-awing
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well we pitched the awning for the first time yesterday and thought we would take a few pics as it goes up. Unfortunately it was a lot easier than we expected and it was up by the third picture haha. I'll write a full review when we've had a week with it (ending at Brean) but post my initial impressions here which are very good so far.

Bigger than I expected, nice and roomy. Enough space for my beach table and 4 chairs and that's excluding the tunnel.

It is one of the easiest tents I've ever had to erect literally assemble poles thread through, attach legs to corner pins and peg. You then in theory reverse your van upto it but we just lifted it in place. It is light weight about 10kg packed away.

The tunnel is designed to be adjusted with elastic and some straps that can be tightened but I'm not sure we got it right to be honest as the instructions don't mention those guy ropes but it stayed in place and gave us a handy space for the Slidepod to cook in. The tailgate can still be opened and closed.

It has doors on all 4 sides which is pretty amazing plus 2 windows with zip down curtains and a door in the tunnel. It can effectively change from a tent to a open sided gazebo.

The ground sheet has a raised side so you don't need to worry about water getting in although it's not fixed to the sides in the centre this is held in place by bungees. We find it helps keep the tent cool and ventilated which is good for our intended use of the awning.

First impressions, roomy, very versatile and impressive for the price point, just how well thought out it is.

af7dfd55fac7f8d881377e28b0edfc4b.jpg
e8d04564e1ace1a30fda2bc102cd1050.jpg
2cd4691fc106094f7d797bcd4dd02e26.jpg
bbe6ba0a84612a2106c8701460ec3e26.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It looks exactly what we are looking for. Would you be able to use this with a bike rack on the tailgate?

It looks exactly what we are looking for. Would you be able to use this with a bike rack on the tailgate?
We don't have a bike rack so not tried it personally but the tunnel is adjustable and has tightening bungees and straps. It can also be used with the tunnel withdrawn and tied up. The first picture shows where we have shortened the tightening straps to make it snug,

How deep is the rack? I could try some photos, I suspect it would fit as it's ut can't be sure.

The one I got from the club shop seemed to be a newer revision than my local camping caravan place had, the newer one seems to have updates to be more adjustable.

I have a time lapse video of us setting it up at Brean, will post soon now my computer is fixed.

Last edited:
Yes the inner tent just clips in very quickly to four clips in the roof from what I can see. It also has windows with zip down curtains which we like. The fact it can be used in several ways is why we like it, it just all feels very nicely thought out and has clearly been revised since the last edition.

I also think it could easily be setup with the tunnel up without it being over the van with a couple of extra poles. We plan to try this sometime.

If you don't want a tail I noticed there is a larger one in the shop for attaching to the side of the van, we wanted this one specifically for the slidepod.

I would love to find a tailgate awning that fits over a T6 Cali with the VW bike rack in place !
I do know others that use the kyham XL with there T5s, But I think the new T6 bike rack is bigger as I can't get the kyham XL to fit over to keep the rain out !!
Does anybody know please ?
Help !!!!

Very old post so sorry for not spotting it, certainly happy to let someone try if they are near Warks. I dont own a bike rack so can't comment.

Back