Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate Awnings

I've never seen the point as you need to go outside to get into it.

Well if the van awning is out you could alnost get to it dry even when raining. I was thinking of a beach and cooking in tbe rear like slidepod owners even when windy or wet plus area for storage or for kids to ply/sleep even. I like to see out the door area dont want to look into a tent.

Anybody have an answer to the first question in my thread?

By the looks of it the tailgate needs to be open ...but you could try this
IMG_1266.PNG

There is a thread here somewhere with my review, however you can basically on that model fold away the tunnel and it bungees to the tent turning it into a normal tent.

We did however close the boot and leave the tunnel in place over night in Brean with no real issues its all about the guy ropes being set properly.

If you are at the Dorset meet I could bring it.

Last edited:
There is a thread here somewhere with my review, however you can basically on that model fold away the tunnel and it bungees to the tent turning it into a normal tent.

We did however close the boot and leave the tunnel in place over night in Brean with no real issues its all about the guy ropes being set properly.

If you are at the Dorset meet I could bring it.

I am at the Dorset Meet. :thumb

Anybody have an answer to the first question in my thread?
It is a Driveaway type awning which would mean that neither the tailgate nor the Cali needs to be present for it to be erected.
I've not checked one out but it looks like the tailgate could be closed with the awning still attached.

My only worry about this type of awning is that you need 5 mtrs (Cali) plus 3.8 mtrs (awning) front to back pitch space minimum. Not many sites have this, side to side yes but not front to back.

Back