Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate bike rack dimensions (tight turns towing with a caravan)?

Gelato

Gelato

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
We hope to order a T6.1 never owned a California before, will need a bike rack to carry 3x bikes which one is best - Thule? Don’t think you can order a factory fitted bike rack can you? We tow a caravan (Eriba Touring) so just want to check clearance with bike rack in use and turning when towing a caravan attached.

Thank you for any advice.

Just buy the vw one from the dealers out of them all it’s probably the best quality

Order it from your dealer and ask them to fit before you take delivery.

Wonder if anyone can help me, we are hopefully going to order our first California and we tow an Eriba, want to have the VW tailgate bike rack fitted (carries 4x bikes) just worried about tight turns!

Wondered if someone with a T6 tailgate bike rack could supply some dimensions:

a) how much to sticks out at the back when in use (80-82cm?)
b) The height from the floor to the bike rack when pulled down to carry bikes.

I can check to see how much clearance I will have when towing our Eriba (allowing for the pointed shape of the Eriba)

Thank you for any help.

VW supply 2 types. See the post below. The one pictured first (that has an A at the end of the part number) sticks out a lot less than the newer style one pictured second. I’ve towed a box trailer with the first one.

Fiamma also do a 2 bike one that sticks out even less and I believe you can get a kit to convert it to 3. It also comes in black.

the club shop can supply all of them.

VW supply 2 types. See the post below. The one pictured first (that has an A at the end of the part number) sticks out a lot less than the newer style one pictured second. I’ve towed a box trailer with the first one.

Fiamma also do a 2 bike one that sticks out even less and I believe you can get a kit to convert it to 3. It also comes in black.

the club shop can supply all of them.

Thank you, really helpful, interesting to see the mixed opinions on the T5 & T6 racks, new to all of this :)

Thank you, really helpful, interesting to see the mixed opinions on the T5 & T6 racks, new to all of this :)

Just to clarify, 7E0071104A is not a T5 rack. The fittings are different and a T5 rack won’t fit a T6. It’s the same style as the T5 one but with T6 fittings and a different part number (7E0071104A)

Just to clarify, 7E0071104A is not a T5 rack. The fittings are different and a T5 rack won’t fit a T6. It’s the same style as the T5 one but with T6 fittings and a different part number (7E0071104A)

Thanks, think I understand now :)

Do you have a T6 (Quasimodo) rack, just would like to know how much the actual rack sticks out from the back of the California and how high from the ground, to check clearance on our Eriba on tight turns!! Reading this forum and going on the internet the 'Quasimodo' sounds a better rack but can see why people prefer the look of the 7E0071104A (Kylie) - would the Kylie fit a T6.1 do you know. Going to look at the Fiamma T6 Pro bike rack with the extra rail as an alternative.

Sorry to ask more questions, really helpful forum.

Thanks, think I understand now :)

Do you have a T6 (Quasimodo) rack, just would like to know how much the actual rack sticks out from the back of the California and how high from the ground, to check clearance on our Eriba on tight turns!! Reading this forum and going on the internet the 'Quasimodo' sounds a better rack but can see why people prefer the look of the 7E0071104A (Kylie) - would the Kylie fit a T6.1 do you know. Going to look at the Fiamma T6 Pro bike rack with the extra rail as an alternative.

Sorry to ask more questions, really helpful forum.
No we have the T5-style Kylie 7E0071104A on our T6 and it sticks out a lot less than the Quasi. Here’s ours in the foreground: the red/white one behind has the Fiamma 2 bike.

883C2E98-E367-4FFE-BEE7-1825890D9E1B.png

Thanks for the photo, can the T5-style Kylie fit a T6.1 do you know?

Wonder if anyone can help me, we are hopefully going to order our first California and we tow an Eriba, want to have the VW tailgate bike rack fitted (carries 4x bikes) just worried about tight turns!

Wondered if someone with a T6 tailgate bike rack could supply some dimensions:

a) how much to sticks out at the back when in use (80-82cm?)
b) The height from the floor to the bike rack when pulled down to carry bikes.

I can check to see how much clearance I will have when towing our Eriba (allowing for the pointed shape of the Eriba)

Thank you for any help.
Just had a look at mine. T6, VW bike rack fitted when new.

it sticks out 82cm and is approx 120cm from floor to the bottom of the bar when open. I wasn’t on level ground

542E9E2E-DDB0-47FC-948C-3ADD7C72B01D.jpeg

Fantastic, thank you so much for these dimensions, can now check against our Eriba :)

Fantastic, thank you so much for these dimensions, can now check against our Eriba :)

I tow a larger double axle caravan with no problems with the rack down and loaded but it does have a long hitch frame and a slanted front.

I tow a larger double axle caravan with no problems with the rack down and loaded but it does have a long hitch frame and a slanted front.

Our Eriba has an angled front and sides (pointed front) the Eriba hitch is around 105cm shortest section (middle) tape measure on the frame, going to around 125 longest near the sides of the Eriba. Looks like with the height the bike rack would be just above where the Eriba front goes at an angle to give a little more length!

Thanks for your help.

Eriba.jpg

An alternative if you don't want to load up the tailgate, from eriba

Thanks have read about this system, we need a rack for 3x bikes, hopefully find a suitable bike rack for the tailgate in the end

Thanks have read about this system, we need a rack for 3x bikes, hopefully find a suitable bike rack for the tailgate in the end
Hi, did it work well? I have T6 Cali and I am thinking about buying Eriba Tour 530, I have Fiamma tailgate bike rack for 4 bikes. I am just curious if it worked for you or not and with which bike rack. thanks.