Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate brake light

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Ours fell off again and disappeared here in Norway so popped into a dealer conveniently located opposite our campsite.
It seems that from early this year there is a modified assembly which should be fitted to all vans with the old one at service.
They took our van into the workshop to do it under warranty but it appears that if it is fitted with double glazing it's a longer job so they gave us an old cover to keep us legal.
So it seems we have to chase the dealer's ourselves to fit this revised part. As it's not a safety issue it's not subject to a recall.

I don't know why double glazing should have any affect on the part, its fitted in the metal panel not in the glass.

Good to know i will ask at CNN Amersfoort next time i am there.
Mine is still in ather four years , so knock on wood
Seems the Norwagian dealer was very helpfull?

I don't know why double glazing should have any affect on the part, its fitted in the metal panel not in the glass.

Yes but to fit it correctly the interior trim panel has to come off. The double glazing makes this difficult according to the dealer and the trim panel can get damaged. As they hadn't got the trim panel in stock he was reluctant to do it. Either we waited a couple of days until he had the panel or left it. As he gave us a red cover foc we decided to leave it. Looking at the panel it appears to fit in between the two glass panels so I see what they mean.
Anyway, old cover and Gorilla tape and we're ok again.

My T5 was in getting the bellows changed to the theT6 bellows under warranty, while it was in they changed the tailgate light out as well, VW said some were falling out. My one was okay but the changed it anyway.

Yes but to fit it correctly the interior trim panel has to come off. The double glazing makes this difficult according to the dealer and the trim panel can get damaged. As they hadn't got the trim panel in stock he was reluctant to do it. Either we waited a couple of days until he had the panel or left it. As he gave us a red cover foc we decided to leave it. Looking at the panel it appears to fit in between the two glass panels so I see what they mean.
Anyway, old cover and Gorilla tape and we're ok again.

You need to find a new dealer!
The double glazing makes no difference to the trim panel. I concede that it is probably only caravelles/californias etc that have the trim panel whereas a van wouldn't & it is a bit of a pig to get on and off, but I've done mine a few times & would have thought a dealer should be able to do it easily. The trim panel doesn't get damaged easily but the clips have a tendency to snap, but they are a standard VW/audi item.

@andyinluton , don't think the dealer he is talking about is his regular dealer as he is on a trip thru Norway having this problem.
Think his dealer in the UK sort it out later;)

@andyinluton , don't think the dealer he is talking about is his regular dealer as he is on a trip thru Norway having this problem.
Think his dealer in the UK sort it out later;)

Correct Wim, and to be honest the dealer in Norway was a damn site more helpful and knowledgeable than any I've come across in the UK. Can't see a dealer in UK giving anything away for free. Here in Norway the dealers sell everything,cars,vans etc so possibly makes them more sympathetic to Cali owners.

Correct Wim, and to be honest the dealer in Norway was a damn site more helpful and knowledgeable than any I've come across in the UK. Can't see a dealer in UK giving anything away for free. Here in Norway the dealers sell everything,cars,vans etc so possibly makes them more sympathetic to Cali owners.
That's why I'm glad my Dealer, South Hereford, is a combined Car & Commercial Dealership. Same people deal with both groups of customers.

My dealer in the Netherlands , not the one i bought in Belgium and never went back there, ONLY sells Cali's and no other VW's like golfs,ect....so if he does not keep customers happy he can close the doors....

Last edited:
My Cali is going in for MOT & cambelt change this week so I will be interested to see if they change the rear light at the same time. Especially since the one in there at the moment I repaired/fixed and re-fitted on a bead of silicone. Think I will put a small dab of paint on so I know if its been changed.

Mine was changed at a service last week without me asking.

Mine was replaced during its first service (Carrs, Exeter) then a fortnight later whilst at another dealer (South Hereford where I was having my roof pump replaced ) I was informed by the service advisor that they had replaced it ! I told him it had only just been done and asked if they had any central records to be told they had no way of telling. Left hand right hand !

Mine was replaced during its first service (Carrs, Exeter) then a fortnight later whilst at another dealer (South Hereford where I was having my roof pump replaced ) I was informed by the service advisor that they had replaced it ! I told him it had only just been done and asked if they had any central records to be told they had no way of telling. Left hand right hand !
Recalls are supposed to be recorded in the service book, so it wasn't written in first time or not checked for the second.

I just dropped my van off to have the blinds sorted, they simply won't return when the van is hot and struggle when its not.

They also said my tailgate light was being replaced under a improvement recall with an improved unit. From what the service chap said the rear bumper has air vents to let the air out when closing the tailgate but that sometimes when closing it the air pressure can increase effectively pop the light out.

The new stronger version is replacing it from what he said to me this am.

THANKS FOLKS!!!!!

Mine dropped off a while back and I must have driven over it before finding the thing - assumed it was my fault as I had raised the tailgate under and overhanging log store roof a couple of times and thought ' must have trapped it under there..' - duck taped it back on and was about to see if I could order ( and pay for ) a new one when I saw the post.

this is where the forums are invaluable - rang the dealer, Carr's at Indian Queens', who immediately looked up the issue , said 'there's a campaign on about these, no problem, you are covered under warranty ' and am now booked in for a replacement...

keep those posts coming !!!!!

Mine fell out and was lost during a motorway trip, so was booked in for the replacement/recall - under warranty of course.

Unfortunately, within 48 hours, one side of the lens was protruding and pushing it back in didn't solve the problem as it wouldn't stay in. I taped it in place for safety and again had to visit the dealership, but they took my van into the workshop and sorted it there and then while I waited. (I think it was removed and refitted.) Considering I wasn't booked in the second time and just turned up, I was very happy they went out of their way to sort it straight away to save further inconvenience and I'm always very happy with the service at Spire Hatfield, but I would just say keep an eye that this doesn't happen if you have yours replaced.

My T5 was in getting the bellows changed to the theT6 bellows under warranty, while it was in they changed the tailgate light out as well, VW said some were falling out. My one was okay but the changed it anyway.

Hi Candy Camper, was this because your T5 bellows were damaged; whats the upside in having T6 bellows?

Back