Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate doesn't open fully

whistlingdogg

whistlingdogg

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi, I have a T6 Beach (67 plate) and when it was delivered I did noticed that the tailgate didn't open up fully without me pushing it up all the way myself. This morning (particularly cold) I opened it up and it got to about 45 degrees and so I pushed it up to the top but it started to fall back down. I suspect I will need to take it it under warranty but just wondered if anyone else had this problem.

Hi, I have a T6 Beach (67 plate) and when it was delivered I did noticed that the tailgate didn't open up fully without me pushing it up all the way myself. This morning (particularly cold) I opened it up and it got to about 45 degrees and so I pushed it up to the top but it started to fall back down. I suspect I will need to take it it under warranty but just wondered if anyone else had this problem.
Provided you have the Uprated Tailgate Gas Struts fitted - 1250N labelled on the barrel, then this is normal.
The Lifting pressure, as they are gas filled, is dependant on the Ambient Temperature. When cold the Tailgate will not open fully and when 30c you cannot close it easily.
Do you have a Tailgate Bike Rack? Check the Label and if it is as it should be then this is normal.

Last edited:
Common in cold temperatures... You'll just have to wait for the Summer!!

Have you got a bike rack?

Some reading for the cold days.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/search/15153264/?q=Tailgate+struts&o=relevance

Thanks for the replies. No, I don't have the bike rack.

Thanks for the replies. No, I don't have the bike rack.
If you try later on today, if/when it's warmed up a bit then the tailgate should lift higher.

I think it's safe to say that we all have difficulty getting it up in cold weather.
A bit of F******n can help.

Opening/Closing the tailgate a few times warms up the gas and increases the pressure, thus lifting capacity.:thumb

Hi

Another one whilst I'm here.

My boot lid won't stay up on its own in the winter due to I guess the gas struts having lost some gas over the yrs. I'm frightened that it'll be up there, being held up on its own and will fail and either thwack me or the wife on the head or even worse our daughter (told to play away from the boot lid, but always inquisitive)

Obviously mine's a Cali with chairs etc and topper in the boot lid and I've also got a VW bike rack attached.

Can I get the struts re-gassed?

If not - I'll need the 1250 struts I guess? Where s the most competitive place to get them?

Cheers

Rich

I tend to find that in winter the struts are less effective than in summer so I put it down to the cooler temperatures. Come the warmer weather all is back to normal.

You're right Dan, gas contracts when it's cool and expands when its warm so the lid door lifts more effectively and stays up in the summer as there's more pressure (volume of gas ) in the strut. It used to stay up in the winter as well though. Thats what I'm trying to achieve.

Hi

Another one whilst I'm here.

My boot lid won't stay up on its own in the winter due to I guess the gas struts having lost some gas over the yrs. I'm frightened that it'll be up there, being held up on its own and will fail and either thwack me or the wife on the head or even worse our daughter (told to play away from the boot lid, but always inquisitive)

Obviously mine's a Cali with chairs etc and topper in the boot lid and I've also got a VW bike rack attached.

Can I get the struts re-gassed?

If not - I'll need the 1250 struts I guess? Where s the most competitive place to get them?

Cheers

Rich
https://www.sgs-engineering.com/car...agen-transporter-t5-california-tailgate-strut

2 year warranty. Easy to fit yourself, with a friend or a timber prop.

Cheers for that. I dug them out of an earlier thread and have sent a query via their website. Do you know what sort of cost for re-gassing?

Reactions: SID
Cheers for that. I dug them out of an earlier thread and have sent a query via their website. Do you know what sort of cost for re-gassing?
I don't think they would re-gass as they are sealed for life units.

They just got back to me. Said they may be able to re-gas. Need to send old units back to them to check. Cost is £35 plus the cost of me wrapping/ posting them and time messing about plus them posting to me at £5. New struts from them are £65 for the pair plus postage to me at £5. Think I'll just get new ones as they are next day delivery and saves having no struts on the van for a few days. That way I can take off/ install on the same day rather than take off/ send off/ wait/ install which is a couple of days disrupted (or waiting for dry weather).

Just checked and they are 1200N. Will I notice much difference between these are the 1250N?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, I have had my van 'Babs' for about 4 weeks. She is a 150 Ocean, manual, 2017 March reg, and am having trouble with the tailgate.
I cannot put the topper in the tailgate as it does not stay open at all. If it is open and it rains at all the tailgate slams shut.
I inherited a bike rack with it, it is a Atera Linea three bike rack for post 2015 T6.
I am finding the tailgate dangerous. It just missed slamming on me when I was packing in the rain.
The weather is not that cold, about 10 degs during daylight hours.
Would welcome all opinions please.

Hello, I have had my van 'Babs' for about 4 weeks. She is a 150 Ocean, manual, 2017 March reg, and am having trouble with the tailgate.
I cannot put the topper in the tailgate as it does not stay open at all. If it is open and it rains at all the tailgate slams shut.
I inherited a bike rack with it, it is a Atera Linea three bike rack for post 2015 T6.
I am finding the tailgate dangerous. It just missed slamming on me when I was packing in the rain.
The weather is not that cold, about 10 degs during daylight hours.
Would welcome all opinions please.
Check the Gas Struts on the Tailgate. They should have 1250 N written on the barrel somewhere.

Anything less and the wrong struts have been fitted. Standard Transporters with the tailgate have weaker struts - no chairs.

Simple solution to keep it open is a couple pieces of aluminium channel cut to fit the round the piston rod (the shiny bit) when it's fully open.
Some DIY stores sell it or a good engineers supply place.

Back