Tailgate jammed shut

• Thread starter California Bubble
  • Start date
California Bubble

California Bubble

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Evening all.
I came to open my tailgate today and it won’t budge. I’m scratching my head at how to go about accessing the mechanism with it being shut, and wondered if anyone had any tips or advice?
There is resistance in both the interior handle, and the exterior handle that suggest in feel and feedback that nothing has snapped, or become unattached, just something may have seized/jammed. I’ve removed the interior strap handle which gives very limited access to behind the rear door card, but I can’t see anything worth wiggling or whacking. Any thoughts please?

I’ve a host of other things that are puzzling me, but I’ll post these separately at a later date, so get your thinking caps ready!

Thanks in advance.
CB.

Hi CB,

I assume, from your description your van it’s a transporter, not a Cali ?

Can you provide some relevant details of your vehicle.

if it’s a transporter base with a hard board card panel on the tailgate it may be possible to remove the tailgate card to get to the mechanism.

do you have a rear wiper With the black plastic cover on the inside tailgate ( just below the rear window?

presuming it is a mechanically operated lock not electronic soft close ?

OP has posted in the T4 California Westfalia Technical section, but that's not easy to see at first since he hasn't posted a vehicle as part of his profile.

Edit: @California Bubble That was quick, I hope you get some responses!

Last edited:
Hi.
Sorry, I thought my bus could be seen in my Avatar. It’s a 1991 T4 California Westfalia. I guess it’s relevant too that it’s not got central locking.

Thanks!
CB

sorry not familiar with the T4

quick search threw up these

Not familiar with the T4, but coincidentally the lock failed on my T5 tailgate yesterday. Pulling the handle from inside or out doesn't operate the catch. No resistance.

Door card off, a dogleg rod (a) which pulls the catch from the handle had popped out of its bushing (b) which had split. T4 looks a similar mechanism on the drawings.

Ordered a new lock catch, 20 quid-ish. Hopefully it fixes it, very delicate mechanism though, considering the grief it can cause by failing!

20210308_222705.jpg

20210308_222734.jpg

Thanks for everybody’s input. After copious amounts of WD40 and a couple of taps with a screwdriver on what I could reach of the lock from the inside, eventually it freed up. It just needed a really good clean up and lube to see it good. I suppose it’s a good habit to get into that twice a year I visit all the lock and things that crud up to give them a little service.

CB

Evening all.
I came to open my tailgate today and it won’t budge. I’m scratching my head at how to go about accessing the mechanism with it being shut, and wondered if anyone had any tips or advice?
There is resistance in both the interior handle, and the exterior handle that suggest in feel and feedback that nothing has snapped, or become unattached, just something may have seized/jammed. I’ve removed the interior strap handle which gives very limited access to behind the rear door card, but I can’t see anything worth wiggling or whacking. Any thoughts please?

I’ve a host of other things that are puzzling me, but I’ll post these separately at a later date, so get your thinking caps ready!

Thanks in advance.
CB.

If it helps, I decribe in my blog how you can remove the inside trim of the tailgate here. You will then be able to access the lock's mechanism. While you have it opened, consider adding a way to open the tailgate from the inside. I decribe how to do that here.

Back