Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate leak

Wagonwheal

Wagonwheal

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi All,
First post but have been getting fantastic info. from the site since we got our Cali in 2016, thanks!!
Best decision we’ve ever made, we love our Cali and the kids are always asking about the next trip.
Despite the amazing weather we’ve been having, we were caught in torrential rain all night last weekend and noted a slight leak from the tailgait onto the bed.
This has happened before but not always. I’ve had a look at the boot seal and it all looks good. I couldn’t see a thread re a tailgate leak but noted some mention of blocked drainage holes on other water leak threads. We’re still under warranty but I am loathed to go back to our dealer as l’m sure I know more about the Cali than they do!
Any advice/quick fixes??

Not heard of this before. Did you have the tailgate open at any point?

There was an issue with the T5 where rain came in through the high level brake light, but thus I believe has been sorted.

:welcome

Thanks for your replies. Tailgait was shut all night, only open when setting up well before the rain.
It’s odd as only a few times. Will give all the seals a good clean and see it it happens again. Don’t think it is a warranty job. Heading to Europe this summer and not wanting issues when we’re away.......

Thanks for your replies. Tailgait was shut all night, only open when setting up well before the rain.
It’s odd as only a few times. Will give all the seals a good clean and see it it happens again. Don’t think it is a warranty job. Heading to Europe this summer and not wanting issues when we’re away.......
I had a very similar problem on my cali whilst under warranty, it did turn out to be the tailgate window not sealed properly, took it to a windscreen company and they fixed it. VW dealer could not find a leak. This was before we had this wonderful forum.

We had the same (16 plate Cali), I ended up videoing it to show the dealer. They believed it to be the rear brake light and replaced under warranty. No drips that I've noticed since.

The rear thirth breaklight is known (also by VW ) to leak and even sometimes to dissappear all of a sudden...

I seem to have a similar issue with drips coming through the tailgate in heavy rain, dripping on to bed.

It appears to be coming through the seals at the top of tailgate in as much as there are drips on both side of where the seal should sit-- I've checked and there's no drain holes blocked etc

Alternatively of course could this be condensation? Or condensation obscuring a leak?

It was cold and miserable in the Lake District on Saturday night with rain / sleet / snow running down the pop up roof

6785C5E1-CF05-4443-B050-C93EE32931D1.jpeg

A3B52CAE-FB71-4F3D-812E-8A678DA98739.jpeg

F14DBAEB-A61B-42A2-B6EF-0458187323F9.jpeg

A5A173B7-5A4C-484E-84F4-6BC8A71A4348.jpeg

0F73C34E-8F25-4141-B1FF-44ACF46E1DFE.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks like the rubber seal acts as a channel to drain the water away, have a look and see if there is a split or hole in it.

Your last picture shows what appears to be a rubber bung with a hole in it. Do not remove this as it is attached to plastic tubing inside the structure and pulling it out detaches it. It is then extremely difficult to re-attach it as there is no access inside the body structure. I know from experience, having removed mine looking for an entry point for the cable from the solar panel. :headbang Fortunately I did get it back on by threading a knitting needle inside the bund then using that to locate the plastic tube.

It looks like the rubber seal acts as a channel to drain the water away, have a look and see if there is a split or hole in it.

Your last picture shows what appears to be a rubber bung with a hole in it. Do not remove this as it is attached to plastic tubing inside the structure and pulling it out detaches it. It is then extremely difficult to re-attach it as there is no access inside the body structure. I know from experience, having removed mine looking for an entry point for the cable from the solar panel. :headbang Fortunately I did get it back on by threading a knitting needle inside the bund then using that to locate the plastic tube.

Yes, thanks -- the purpose of this photo was to demonstrate that this channel is patent and not clogged up. Thanks for the tip --- I won't touch it.

I seem to have a similar issue with drips coming through the tailgate in heavy rain, dripping on to bed.

It appears to be coming through the seals at the top of tailgate in as much as there are drips on both side of where the seal should sit-- I've checked and there's no drain holes blocked etc

Alternatively of course could this be condensation? Or condensation obscuring a leak?

It was cold and miserable in the Lake District on Saturday night with rain / sleet / snow running down the pop up roof

View attachment 42379

View attachment 42380

View attachment 42381

View attachment 42382

View attachment 42383
Did you have the roof up and/or windows open for ventilation when sleeping? Or an insulated cover on the front windows and windscreen?
If you did then this could well be condensation off the cold exposed metal.

Had the roof up (with 1 child in it), me and other child downstairs. Heating running on "1" all night. No insulated covers, blinds down. Windows closed. To be honest, not lots of condensation on the windows in the morning (view from back of van below) but you're right it could easily be condensation especially as the rubber seals all look pristine.

26D3CC46-DCFF-45CD-AEB2-5AC3C5EEA684.jpeg

The third pic looks very like condensation as it's beading all over the metal surface and not at one point of entry (leak). Could it be the drips occur as the tailgate is opened, allowing the water to drip which had pooled above the rubber...

The third pic looks very like condensation as it's beading all over the metal surface and not at one point of entry (leak). Could it be the drips occur as the tailgate is opened, allowing the water to drip which had pooled above the rubber...

Hi @MartG - Yes I would agree that there's condensation -- question is whether this is the only cause of the water coming into the van or there's a leak too

Dripping on my head whilst sleeping though - so not just the tailgate opening

will check carefully after heavy rain when I've not slept in it

thanks ever so much !

Hi All,
First post but have been getting fantastic info. from the site since we got our Cali in 2016, thanks!!
Best decision we’ve ever made, we love our Cali and the kids are always asking about the next trip.
Despite the amazing weather we’ve been having, we were caught in torrential rain all night last weekend and noted a slight leak from the tailgait onto the bed.
This has happened before but not always. I’ve had a look at the boot seal and it all looks good. I couldn’t see a thread re a tailgate leak but noted some mention of blocked drainage holes on other water leak threads. We’re still under warranty but I am loathed to go back to our dealer as l’m sure I know more about the Cali than they do!
Any advice/quick fixes??
Hi. Did you every resolve this? I have the same issue on my 2022 6.1. Looks like coming in between seal and rear tailgate. Almost as is door not compressing the seal enough.

Not really. Still happens on the odd occasion but only with roof up and horizontal driving rain. I used the rubber seal softener stuff that did help incase the seals are too stiff. Reassuringly after 6 yrs of use it really is not a problem and has not damaged the van. It’s one if those things that they looked at under the warranty ( when I had one) and found nothing. They did reseal one if the drains in the roof gutter but it did little. I must admit these days I try and patch things myself as often the VW service centres make issues worse, unless you get the van back to Stuttgart!

Thank you for the reply. I completely agree about the centres making things worse. I think I may just end up replacing the seal and living with it as the though of them trying to adjust the rear tailgate fills me with dread!

Back