Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

tailgate not opening completly

CALIBEACH83

CALIBEACH83

Vehicle
T6 Beach 102
I have my California Beach one week and noticed the tailgate doesn't open completely.
It stop at about 2/3 of the way . then i have to give it a gentle push until it opens completely .
Went to the dealer this morning.
They sent an official question to vw mentioning this problem .
the respons they got was : this is normal !o_O
The gate is supposed to open 2/3 so you can grab the chairs easily ...
I'm 1m93 cm so now everytime i open the gate i run into the tailgate.
does anyone else have this problem .
Is this "normal " on A brand new T6 ?

I have my California Beach one week and noticed the tailgate doesn't open completely.
It stop at about 2/3 of the way . then i have to give it a gentle push until it opens completely .

I collected my MY17 build Cali Beach on Saturday, it does the same. Thought it unusual also.

As your vehicle is the same as mine, can I ask if you have an interior motion alarm deactivation button on the drivers-side B-Pillar? I don't have one, yet was expecting one, so I have a query into product support also. We normally, need to press this button, before leaving our dog in the van, so the alarm doesn't go off when the dog moves around inside whilst the van is locked.

Cheers, Jonathan

Same on our California T5.

Jonathan ,
Don't have the deactivation button of themotion alarm on the b-pillar .
had this button on my old car ( a 12 year old audi A4), haven't found it on mine .

Same problem same response from vW Slovakia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes normal, I'm sure it even says this in the manual..

But once you know it does this, you will always push it up and thus never bang your head on it again... :headbang

And you can always buy a set of gas struts with more pressure in them if its too annoying. I fitted a set (takes < 5 mins) to our T4 that could hold the tailgate + 4 bikes up with... most of the time! Temperature also seems to affect their performance.

This is normal , altough you would think it's not normal,
It's a VW California , it has it's habbits...;)

I collected my MY17 build Cali Beach on Saturday, it does the same. Thought it unusual also.

As your vehicle is the same as mine, can I ask if you have an interior motion alarm deactivation button on the drivers-side B-Pillar? I don't have one, yet was expecting one, so I have a query into product support also. We normally, need to press this button, before leaving our dog in the van, so the alarm doesn't go off when the dog moves around inside whilst the van is locked.

Cheers, Jonathan
When I leave my dog in the van I press the lock button on the remote a second time and that seems to deactivate the sensor.

Our tail gate opened to the full height when new, 6 months later it now stops at 2/3 as per above. I though something was starting to stick a little but maybe not having read the above. It's now just the right height for my forehead!

Its normal stops at certain point to access chairs in tailgate.

It all depends on the temperature.
In cold weather, the tailgate only opens part-way & you may bang your head.
In hot weather, it shoots up, you may lose some teeth & is very difficult for 50kg wife to close again...
Anything but boring!

I find exactly the same, in the summer it is very strong, but in the cold weather its a bit lazy. If it was strong in the winter I think in summer we could hang off it without it closing. :thumb

Yes in summer you learn to stand back when it opens or it will take your head off.

Back