Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate packing & weight?

Harvey1968

Harvey1968

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, What do people pack into the tailgate - ie the space between the picnic chairs. I've put towels etc.... I see others who pack toppers in here. Does anyone find that the tailgate is heavy and does not stay in the open position?

We keep the Comfortz Leisure awning surround in there. Two bags, one in each side. Tailgate stays up fine in summer. Tends to drop halfway as the temperature drops.

Thanks all, I wasn't sure if there was a problem with the boot struts as the boot lid doesnt stay up particulalrly well.

Thanks all, I wasn't sure if there was a problem with the boot struts as the boot lid doesnt stay up particulalrly well.

There are people that have come up a solution for this , pooles for example .
You cold change the struds , that also been discussed before , but as yours seem a new T6 i'd just see how it works out in time .
Use your Cali and enjoy ...you will get used to the rear door not staying up .

The gas struts work less well in cold weather. If the boot doesn’t stay up well, you could try “pumping” the boot up and down if you need it to stay up.

I’m tall and occasionally bash my head on the pointy bit that curves round on the tailgate

Travel to Italy in the Summer. The Tailgate stays up, with a vengeance. Trust me.
Being a Gas Strut the amount of Lift is very temperature dependant. It was almost impossible to close in Italy - but No bike rack.

We had 2x helinox sunset chairs packed in there but it was a very (read too ) tight fit. They weigh about 1.4 kg each. Even with a rack fitted I don't have any issues with the tailgate lowering so I'd have a look at your struts as you have a T6. Just be careful when unloading it it you pack up the tailgate as stuff could drop out. Slow and careful :)

Wow! A cracking post......
I had never given the tailgate a thought about the possible extra storage space.

Always something new to learn from this Forum....

Thank you.

Wow! A cracking post......
I had never given the tailgate a thought about the possible extra storage space.

Always something new to learn from this Forum....

Thank you.

Just what I was thinking!

Coats, small folding table for stove, folding step.

Pop top child net fits down the middle.

Hi, What do people pack into the tailgate - ie the space between the picnic chairs. I've put towels etc.... I see others who pack toppers in here. Does anyone find that the tailgate is heavy and does not stay in the open position?
Fresh water hose pipe and fittings plus mesh “carpet” for under the awning. Never a problem. But also Halfords bike rack and two bikes - fine in hot weather but droops in cold.

I used to have the 20m hook-on cable and the shower tent in-between the chairs, but got a bit tired of the daily weight-lifting and so now I replaced them by two folding stool-footrest-tables (Outwell Baffin) which just just fit in.

Thermal Windscreen Cover (Silver Screen) in one side, then walking shoes and/or jacket in the other side. Sometimes, a bicycle helmet.

Sometimes fire-logs, on the odd occasion I use them, as they're a bit smelly.

Dont forget the storage space around the battery under the bonnet - i keep my EHU cables and adblu funnel in there

We have one of the first T6's, december 2015, we had to have the tailgate struts replaced due to the tailgate not staying up (no bike rack, nothing stowed in with the chairs) , if you have a T6 under warranty with tailgate strut problems then I suggest you ask for them to be replaced, ours have been fine since replacement.

Up rated gas struts were 1250N.
I checked mine on my MY18 Cali and it appears they have put slightly stronger ones in this year - see photo
Bill

image.jpeg

Back