Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate Pull-Down Strap Broken

2CV67

2CV67

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
The strap for pulling the tailgate down has just broken.
Hardly surprising in view of the effort required, especially on hot days.

I patched it up temporarily & suppose I will get a new one soon, which will fail again in due course.

I don't recall seeing anybody else mention this failure?

Has anybody found a more robust solution?

I patched it up temporarily & suppose I will get a new one soon, which will fail again in due course.

I've never used it.

Agree with @WelshGas , i keep grabbing the tailgate itself instead of the handle ....resulting in dirty fingers!
If i use the handle i still need to give it a push extra to close so thats why don't bother

I rather stupidly pulled the tailgate onto my head using the strap/handle. I now grab the bike carrier frame standing to one side..........

I don't use it often either, but my wife has to use it every time as she cannot reach the edge of the tailgate.
Do none of you have smallish people in your Cali's?

I don't use it often either, but my wife has to use it every time as she cannot reach the edge of the tailgate.
No.:thumb

Yeah, Claire is 5' 2" and needs to use the strap.

I just had to go and have a look for the strap, I had never noticed it :thumb

I just had to go and have a look for the strap, I had never noticed it :thumb

No way ....it keeps annoying me as i keep running in to it with my head!
In fact once it came up the remove it. .
....now thinking , i could sell it to @2CV67

Mine has broken but not replaced yet

I never use mine as I find where it's located a) it doesn't give enough leverage to be effective and b) if I give a great heave that actually makes the tailgate move, it tends to come down on my head!

No. Not enough leverage.

I love the strap as it reminds me of my old 72 Beetle which had pretty much the exact same style of strap mounted on each B-pillar.

I love the strap as it reminds me of my old 72 Beetle which had pretty much the exact same style of strap mounted on each B-pillar.
As in the Cali on the C-pilar near the sliding door....
@2CV67 , you could swap with thatone as it just hangs there on the C-pilar beeing useless also..;)

@2CV67 , you could swap with thatone as it just hangs there on the C-pilar beeing useless also..;)

Now there I disagree, I use that strap quite a lot!

Well, I am quite surprised nobody else uses the tailgate strap, but my wife absolutely needs it, so I decided to get a new one.

All the on-line catalogs I tried do show the strap but say it is not for the California & don't give the part number!
Y64OCe.jpg

Surprisingly, my VW dealer got the same answer from his on-line catalog too!
But he managed to find what seemed to be the same item elsewhere & ordered that for me.
The catalog said no stock at VW either...

Finally, the part arrived today & is exactly the right one.

Part number 7H5829621B 9B9 if anybody ever needs one...

Now I have a new one, I have dismantled the old one & am fitting it with a stronger (webbing) strap, ready for the next incident!

My granddaughter loves that strap. It is just the right height when she is in her car seat. We put her seat on the other side once and she was most upset as there is no strap over there.

Back