Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate squeak/rattle

s2bear

s2bear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi, I can no longer ignore the ever increasing cacophony emanating from the tailgate area of my 2017 Beach. It’s a kind of squeaky rattle and it’s LOUD.

I think it may be the tailgate as it comes from higher up at the near side rear and on two trips to the alps it was quite silent when the vehicle was loaded up.

I’ve had the suspension tech guy lay down in the boot while I drove around and he said it wasn’t the suspension.

I think some luggage was probably pressing against the inside tailgate and stopping any unwanted movement when the body flexed. I can make the tailgate squeak a bit by pushing it from either side.
So .....are the rubber stops on the L&R of the tailgate quite adjustable? I want to start a process of elimination and perhaps wind those out a little to increase the tension when the tailgate is shut but seems they may be just riveted?- I thought it may have been the tailgate chairs but the noise was still there when I removed them.

I’ve lubricated the rubber tailgate and roof seals, no change.
I’ve lubricated the tailgate hinges - no change.
Frankly, it’s driving me crackers!

Any advice gratefully received.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, I can no longer ignore the ever increasing cacophony emanating from the tailgate area of my 2017 Beach. It’s a kind of squeaky rattle and it’s LOUD.

I think it may be the tailgate as it comes from higher up at the near side rear and on two trips to the alps it was quite silent when the vehicle was loaded up.

I’ve had the suspension tech guy lay down in the boot while I drove around and he said it wasn’t the suspension.

I think some luggage was probably pressing against the inside tailgate and stopping any unwanted movement when the body flexed. I can make the tailgate squeak a bit by pushing it from either side.
So .....are the rubber stops on the L&R of the tailgate quite adjustable? I want to start a process of elimination and perhaps wind those out a little to increase the tension when the tailgate is shut but seems they may be just riveted?- I thought it may have been the tailgate chairs but the noise was still there when I removed them.

I’ve lubricated the rubber tailgate and roof seals, no change.
I’ve lubricated the tailgate hinges - no change.
Frankly, it’s driving me crackers!

Any advice gratefully received.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...827/subcategory/827030/part_id/3688993/lang/e

The rubber Stop Buffers Part 18 are adjustable. They screw in/out. Check the Gas Strut fixings and the Corrugated Rubber Wire Cover Top Left.

UPDATE: no adjustments carried out so far but the noise is only when the car is wet. It’s been quiet, then it was washed today; Cacophony resumed ! I used to have this problem on an old wrangler Jeep with rusty bonnet hinges. When wet they made a hell of a racket. Wonder if the tailgate hinges have surface rust in them. I’ve greased them but they look ‘as new’

Are you sure the catch is adjusted correctly? I had it on mine and the catch had moved allowing the tailgate to move ever so slightly.

I had something similar on my Beach. You might try fixing a stick on buffer pad to the rear door card where the underside of each end of the metal rear door blind handle/bar comes in contact with it. This drove me nuts for months until one day my son ran the issue to ground whilst he was traveling in the back.

UPDATE, (if anyone cares or is having trouble sleeping) This reoccurrence was driving me nuts until 10 days ago.
I could push on the closed tailgate above the NS tail lamp which creaked, A LOT. I greased the little rubber buffer stop in that area and it still didn’t solve the problem.

Further down below the lights is a plastic channel on the body, which mates with a plastic protrusion on the tailgate. This was chafed, so I applied some white lithium grease and so far it’s been quiet.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I should have been given a lifetime supply of lithium grease with this motor as I seem to be using it on a lot.

Very happy with my greasy little Cali for the moment though!

Many thanks for this - job for tomorrow!
I’ve checked the struts and rubber trunking which seem ok. Will keep you posted as to my rubber thingamy adjustment shenanigans

Many thanks for this WG and to everyone else who contributed. In the end I think it was item #53 on your diagram which was making the noise.

I never managed to adjust the rubber stopper as turning it simply released it from the tailgate and fiddling just pulled the rubber buffer off the spindle (not sure why I decided to mess with it on the petrol station forecourt but luckily it wasn’t busy). Will let that sleeping dog lie if all remains quiet. Thanks again all. S2

Glad you got it sorted - we all know how annoying a rattle or a squeak can be! :)

My tailgate on my T5 was creaking surprisingly loudly on the off side. Similar fix by speaking silicone lubricant on the receiving cup low down on the tailgate side pillar. Now just need to sort out my enduring side awning rattle!

My tailgate on my T5 was creaking surprisingly loudly on the off side. Similar fix by speaking silicone lubricant on the receiving cup low down on the tailgate side pillar. Now just need to sort out my enduring side awning rattle!

Good luck - I’ve moved onto the armrest rattles now

Back