Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate Tent Macgyver to the rescue! ... please help!

Canary Bird

Canary Bird

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I have been waiting eternally long for a Thule Carry All 450L to go on my VW T6 bike rack.

... and right now I am trying to figure out if my current tailgate tent can work with my camping "configurations."

I have this Reimo tent in the image below (model 936281). It obviously works great with no bike rack on the tailgate door ... and it still works over the top of the VW T6 bike rack that sticks out far from rear door (though not tight to the ground).
2f962ae77d9ee477f1164589b4dbd293_720x600.jpg

HOWEVER, we find that we want to use the tailgate tent most when on long trips, when we have the back case on the bike rack (we unload the bedding from the case on the bike rack & lift the back tailgate up for ventilation (we have back screen for tailgate opening).
P7200078.jpg

We now realize that this tent (that fits under the tailgate) would be better for how we use our California most of the times we'd want to use the tailgate tent.
Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 8.35.22 PM.png

How would MacGyver make our current tent work when we have a Thule case attached to the bike carrier??
My idea #1 I have considered sewing on a couple straps or string on the top of the sides of tent (4 top corners), the straps/string would pass over the tailgate door & under the bike rack, while the tent stays under the tailgate door. (look like the tent in the above image ... and the straps/string would need to pass through tent & up & around or the the top of the tent could really sag down below)

My idea #2: I have thought about cutting a seam along top side of the tent, the tent would pass over tailgate door & under the bike rack ... BUT I would add velcro or snaps to reconnect the seams/edges after it goes around bottom two bars that connect the bike rack to the door. (like the image below)
~ the negatives of this idea would be probable water penetration with rain:
a.) gaps in the tent along the top (where bike rack bars attach at top of the door)
b.) and gaps where bottom bars from bike rack attach to side of door
c.) lack sewing with velcro along top edge
~ another negative is the time to do project & make it work
~ yet another negative is that under door tents look like they take away space below, where over the door tents seem to give more space below
Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 8.34.39 PM.png

My idea #3: Last resort, sell my current tent for what I can get and buy an under door tent and consider it a lesson learned.

HOWEVER is there a MacGyver out there with a 4th idea that I should consider? ... or a tweaking of an idea that I have?

... I am planning to get a Decathlon Quechua Air Seconds Base XL for the side door.

Any ideas or help would be really appreciated.

oops ... this negative should go under idea #1
"~ yet another negative is that under door tents look like they take away space below, where over the door tents seem to give more space below"

This may be a daft question but why on earth stick a tent on the tailgate of a Cali when you have a big wide opening side door into the main 'living' compartment to which you can attach all manner of drive away awnings, tarp extensions, gazebos etc, etc??

This may be a daft question but why on earth stick a tent on the tailgate of a Cali when you have a big wide opening side door into the main 'living' compartment to which you can attach all manner of drive away awnings, tarp extensions, gazebos etc, etc??
Spain, Italy, etc. in the summer .... smothering heat! :) ... ventilation for one reason! ... it is the Finnish sauna experience along the Mediterranean! :)

Underneath one may also block the chair compartment?
we found that above or over blocks the chair compartment, so not forgetting to get the chairs out first is key! :)

Well, 7.40 Euros later (labor & velcro to a neighborhood seamstress) ... it works like a charm using the split the seam and velcro it back together plan. It was easy to put on under the rack, but I could see potential leak in a heavy rain.

~ tent passes under bike rack
P9210061.jpg

~ seam ripped the edge from the end to the corner seam and seamstress added velcro to seam

P9210060.jpg

~ camping this weekend at the VW Canary Islands sponsored "California Day"
P9300035.jpg

We bought the original VW option, that is velcrod to the boot compartment. Worked well and stores in the seat compartment. Expensive solution but works really well.

Back