Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Taking Dog to Europe Tips

rippers

rippers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have a trip to Spain planned to see our friends in Almeria. We have booked the ferry to Calais and travelling through France. I have got the pet passport sorted, our friends have a vet in Spain that can do the tape worm which would be within the 5 days before we get back. Our Dog (black Lab) is a good traveller, I actually think he enjoys it.
Just wondered if anyone had any tips for camping abroad with a dog.
I'm going to buy a tick remover and read a little bit about sandfly collars but not sure about that one yet
The heat is concerning me whether he will be alright, it was the main reason we got the cold shower option on the van. Might even take a small paddling pool lol

We would never take our dogs in the height of summer again, two years ago we did the South of France and it was just way too hot for them (30+ degrees during the day) they would just sit under the van all the time, it was not really any fun for them at all. Also when it is hot it makes it a bit akward when going to supermarkets etc.. as it means someone always has to stay outside with the dog.

Any other time of year its great taking the dogs with you, especially in France where they are welcome in most shops and restauarants.

-

If it is just the trip to Spain and then staying at friends , no prob .
But travelling in summer thru Spain couple of weeks with a dog in your Cali is something i would not do to my doggy....she will suffer to much under the heat.
Personal i hate to travel to the south in july and august becouse the (extreme) heat and to much crouwded!

We where thinking around October, our friends have a rural small holding and my wife/daughter ride the horses. We went there last august without the dog and it hit 45degrees on some days