Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Taking dog to Norway

M

Mancmiller

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
We are thinking about taking our Westie with us from the Uk this summer to Norway, via the eurotunnel and driving through Denmark and Sweden.

We‘ve got him booked in for his Animal Health Certificate and got the rabies shots sorted out weeks ago, but when we’ve looked at the entry requirements for Norway we‘re not sure if this is enough. The advice we’ve read mentioned we would need an animal export licence with the UK being a non eu country, but then confusingly mentions that any dog coming through Sweden (which we would be doing) doesn’t need this.

Has anyone recently done this journey with a dog after UK pet passports became no longer valid, and did you need any additional paperwork/ experience any problems? Did you also need to get your dog wormed before entering Norway (again we’ve read websites that have mentioned dogs need to be wormed before entry, but say this isnt necessary if travelling from the UK).

Any help would be very much appreciated

We are thinking about taking our Westie with us from the Uk this summer to Norway, via the eurotunnel and driving through Denmark and Sweden.

We‘ve got him booked in for his Animal Health Certificate and got the rabies shots sorted out weeks ago, but when we’ve looked at the entry requirements for Norway we‘re not sure if this is enough. The advice we’ve read mentioned we would need an animal export licence with the UK being a non eu country, but then confusingly mentions that any dog coming through Sweden (which we would be doing) doesn’t need this.

Has anyone recently done this journey with a dog after UK pet passports became no longer valid, and did you need any additional paperwork/ experience any problems? Did you also need to get your dog wormed before entering Norway (again we’ve read websites that have mentioned dogs need to be wormed before entry, but say this isnt necessary if travelling from the UK).

As far as worming is concerned there is a limit of 24 to 120 hrs before entry into Norway, so it depends how long you take getting to Norway. This is in addition to any EU requirements.
You will be entering Norway from the EU, not the U.K.

There are Police/Custom checks on the main E6 route but I didn’t encounter any such checks on other routes from Sweden or Finland into Norway as of May 2022.

Last edited:
As far as worming is concerned there is a limit of 24 to 120 hrs before entry into Norway, so it depends how long you take getting to Norway.
I think we’d be outside the 120 hours as we’re thinking of stopping a few days in Bremen and Copenhagen on the way there, but guess it would save some hassle if we got him wormed in the UK and just got to Norway within 5 days of then

I think we’d be outside the 120 hours as we’re thinking of stopping a few days in Bremen and Copenhagen on the way there, but guess it would save some hassle if we got him wormed in the UK and just got to Norway within 5 days of then
There is a new ferry service from the Netherlands to Norway that you can take.

The worming tablet is for coming back into the uk, and was always a requirement from uk gov due to eu having different types of tape worms etc to what is in the uk.
I’m not up to date on all the new changes but didn’t think there’s any issues going into Norway if you have come through eu.

The worming tablet is for coming back into the uk, and was always a requirement from uk gov due to eu having different types of tape worms etc to what is in the uk.
I’m not up to date on all the new changes but didn’t think there’s any issues going into Norway if you have come through eu.
Unfortunately there is.
Norway has its own regulations as it’s not an EU member.
Worming between 24 and 120 hrs before crossing the Border.

They are free from that worm too, didn’t realise says you can go direct from uk to Norway.
On my list to visit so very helpful if I get round to renewing Zebedee rabies etc he’s 11 1/2 and lapsed.
Thanks

They are free from that worm too, didn’t realise says you can go direct from uk to Norway.
On my list to visit so very helpful if I get round to renewing Zebedee rabies etc he’s 11 1/2 and lapsed.
Thanks
I think you’ll have to fly. I’m not aware of a direct U.K. to Norway passenger ferry.

Nic Roams & Campervibe both on You Tube and both currently in Norway have up to date information on entry requirements in their recent vlogs.

As far as worming is concerned there is a limit of 24 to 120 hrs before entry into Norway, so it depends how long you take getting to Norway. This is in addition to any EU requirements.
You will be entering Norway from the EU, not the U.K.

There are Police/Custom checks on the main E6 route but I didn’t encounter any such checks on other routes from Sweden or Finland into Norway as of May 2022.

If the rules haven’t changed there are two different ways to do the worming before entering Norway.

As @WelshGas says, 24-120 hours before entry; or on two separate occasions 1-28 days apart, then you have a further 28 day window after the second dose to enter Norway.

We chose the latter as it meant we could get the treatment done in the UK, then linger for up to 28 days in France, Belgium, Germany, Denmark and Sweden before entering Norway.

Norway has a long border with Sweden, and it is taken on trust that people crossing that border will keep worming up to date, so no checks, but the requirement is there.

Norway is not a dog friendly country. For most of spring and summer it is mandatory to keep dogs on a lead. Farmers will shoot dogs if they see them off the lead, even if they are being properly controlled. Random strangers will yell at you to put your dog on a lead if you have the temerity to play frisbee with your dog on an otherwise empty beach.

The only exception for pet dogs to the dogs on lead rule is on private land which is both fenced and locked. Surprisingly we did find such a place when in Norway. A dog agility field locked with a cheap bicycle combination lock. There was a phone number on the gate. I sent a text asking to use the field and the combination was texted back.

Nic Roams & Campervibe both on You Tube and both currently in Norway have up to date information on entry requirements in their recent vlogs.

The ferry from Denmark to Norway caught out both the above.

Nic Roams totally missed the worming requirement & ended up with a £600 bill for their dog for one compulsory night in the kennels.

Campervibe also got their timings wrong & got away lightly with an extra £40 to change their crossing time.

The ferry from Denmark to Norway caught out both the above.

Nic Roams totally missed the worming requirement & ended up with a £600 bill for their dog for one compulsory night in the kennels.

Campervibe also got their timings wrong & got away lightly with an extra £40 to change their crossing time.
Correct, both were fully transparent about their errors. By documenting their incidents it serves as a vivid picture to any future traveller not to make the same mistakes.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far and the links to the YouTube videos. Think we’re going to look at Amarillo’s advice re getting two wormings done before going to give us a bit more flexibility re the date we arrive in Norway. Having just watched the Nic Roams video, think we’ll drive through from Sweden rather than get the ferry - much simpler (and cheaper) to be turned around at the border if there’s any issues than pay for a quarantine session like they had to!

One thing I’m still not clear on is whether the Animal Health Certificate is sufficient to get into Norway or if we need anything else. Both the Nic Roams and CamperVibes videos said they had Pet Passports, which we don’t have. Looking at the gov.uk site, it mentions that an Export Health Certificate is required if travelling to a non-eu country -suppose the question is whether for the purposes of the Animal Health Certificate, Norway is classed as EU or not? Does anyone know of somebody who has done this without a pet passport and what the process was?

Thanks everyone for the advice so far and the links to the YouTube videos. Think we’re going to look at Amarillo’s advice re getting two wormings done before going to give us a bit more flexibility re the date we arrive in Norway. Having just watched the Nic Roams video, think we’ll drive through from Sweden rather than get the ferry - much simpler (and cheaper) to be turned around at the border if there’s any issues than pay for a quarantine session like they had to!

One thing I’m still not clear on is whether the Animal Health Certificate is sufficient to get into Norway or if we need anything else. Both the Nic Roams and CamperVibes videos said they had Pet Passports, which we don’t have. Looking at the gov.uk site, it mentions that an Export Health Certificate is required if travelling to a non-eu country -suppose the question is whether for the purposes of the Animal Health Certificate, Norway is classed as EU or not? Does anyone know of somebody who has done this without a pet passport and what the process was?

We had the two doses of worming tablets recorded in Meg and Jess’s pet passports. I’m unsure where you would record it now.

The purpose of this second method of treatment is for the large number of Swedes who regularly travel across Sweden and Norway’s long border and treat their dogs for worms monthly. It seems that documentation may not be necessary just to cross the Swedish/Norwegian border with dogs.

=====

All dogs travelling into Norway must be treated for fox dwarf tapeworm (anti-echinococcus [worm] treatment). The requirement for worm treatment does not apply for cats and ferrets, nor for dogs imported directly from Finland, Malta, the UK or Ireland. The tapeworm treatment must be administered by a veterinary surgeon 24-120 hours before the arrival in Norway. Alternatively, the dog must be treated at least twice with an interval of 1-28 days before the first entry to Norway. The treatment then continues at least every 28th day. This alternative can be suitable for people travelling frequently.

[…]

When travelling to Norway from Sweden, the animal and documentation need not be shown to the Norwegian Customs if the animal has been kept legally in Sweden and meets all requirements for entry.

=====

Last edited:
Reading the all seem so complicated I think is it worth the hassle. We shall if the chance comes just going to France although nowadays is very expensive just for the health certificate

Hi, Getting the wormer while en route is really no problem in the EU we just paid 8 euros last week for Morty to get done and every vet we spoke to had no issue doing it and stamping the paperwork. As has been stated previously as long as you book it for the right days to match the entry and exit requirements it should take no more that 30 minutes out of your day to get it done. Re getting to Norway with a dog, the most painless way ( for the dog) is to go DFDS Newcastle to amsterdam ( book a Pet friendly cabin then it can stay overnight with you rather than in the vehicle or the "Dog Hotel".

To get from the Netherlands to Norway you need to drive to Eemshaven in the North of the Netherlands then catch the ferry (Holland Norway Lines) to Norway again its an overnighter so If you leave Newcastle on the Monday tea time sailing you get to Netherlands for Breakfast then catch the 15:30 to Norway arriving on Wednesday for breakfast. They aslo have pet friendly cabins.

The cost to take a dog on the ferry in a cabin is about 30 euro's but their are only limited cabins available and they are only allowed to use one deck, for us its fine as Morty is quite used to it now.

You could of course drive if you want to explore Denmark and Sweden on the way but if the goal is Norway then i would sail every time even driving 8 hours a day it's still a marathon journey and if you want to explore you would have to avoid the fast roads anyway.