Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Taking the plunge... advice please !

Chunkymunky

Chunkymunky

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all- newbie but I have said hello on the introductions and for the back story!
Briefly - we have been looking for a while ....
We are now in the position to buy without finance - if the price is right!
We were looking this winter at getting a beach from a dealer, however a good friend of mine has offered me first refusal on his 2016 on 16 plate ocean ( this is the actual van that has fired my interest up in Calis from the start)- 2.0d 4motion tech - 47k. It’s Been his daily driver with a couple of Europe trips a year since he got it in 16 as an ex demo. No kids but dies have well behaved dogs! Couple of extras I’m not too sure about and 4 bike rack. . Never been cooked in, top hasn’t been slept in ( I’ve actually been away a few times with him). VW Serviced. I’m pretty much aware of everything the van has been through over the past few years and have even driven it.
I’m really tempted. And it feels like a fair price to me too after checking around at £36k- it compares with the beaches I was looking at getting which were a bit newer. Thoughts? I’ve tried to compare prices against classifieds which is tricky as not sure how long they have been for sale and time of year etc. I think I’m pretty comfortable with the price but as we all know it’s a big chunk of money and I’m only an average working fella!
Anything I need to be looking for in particular with a t6 of that age/ miles?Any tips now I’m getting close to actually getting one?He’s a good close friend ( which is actually putting me off a bit as I know you shouldn’t get involved with friends with money etc!). We can also borrow it for a weekend before we commit ( he’s a good lad!)
Thanks again

Folow you guts and buy it even it's a close friend and you worried about things , maybe he will blame you more buying from someone else;)

Does he have extended warranty or was it just standard 3 years?
There are a few things to check, roof corrosion, leisure battery, window leakage, etc. If you are following the T6 Ocean pages you should get an idea of what to check. If he still has warranty he could potentially get any issues fitted before you buy.
If he’s never cooked in it check the hobs are working, plus the tap... lots to check out before parting with serious cash.

Just be sure that you want an Ocean rather than the Beach that was your original plan. They are quite different in significant ways - the kitchen/cupboards etc make it less roomy which may or may not be an issue for you depending on how you want to use it, and only 4 seats. At least, borrow it (and actually camp in it) before you decide.

Best of luck with your decision making.

We paid about that for a similar age beach so seems a really good price. I’d be very tempted, especially if it’s a 4motion - I.e 4 wheel drive?

We have the beach, with similar age kids, and I do think I’d struggle with the narrower lower bed of an ocean and less flexible space - especially as I use mine daily for school runs etc. But finding a beach with all the right options that make camping easy such as a parking heater can be tricky so I think you’d need to weigh up whether the ocean layout is going to work for you.
Also, if you buy a beach you will probably need to budget for a fridge, camping cooker etc......

I’m trying to think if I would swap my beach for an ocean if they were the same price - I think probably not but it would be a very close decision! Good luck, happy travels whatever you decide!

Cheers hotel cali!
Velma’S dad. it’s a bit complicated in that we actually wanted an oceanthen saw the prices,balked, backed down , persuaded ourselves we wanted a beach and rationalised it ( five seats being handy, we can always take a camp stove , bigger bed etc) then the ocean was offered to me and I’ve had to re- rationalise.

It could have been worse - I could have actually bought a beach then been offered the ocean!
Bit more background. It Probably won’t be a daily driver ( yet) for me due to work / have current cars etc and wife’s car needs. Reckon it will do weekends and three - four french trips a year with kids based on our past travels with tents.
Alison- thanksNot sure on the warranty will check. I know the sink works but yes will check re the hob.

An-j. Thanks. Yes it’s 4wd. The lack of the parking heater on the beaches we looked at was niggling me! You are right re the bed - I can sleep on a washing line but my wife has back probs so there is every chance she will be in that on her own She struggles with camping now due to the beds so this may well be her own private double bed on wheels! The idea was to compliment our existing camping , and to make stop overs easier. We also looked at a “ big white” but I like the option of the daily driver and as a day van with the dog and the whole Cali experience
there’s a hell of a lot of soul searching gone into this already with the family-I’m also notorious for talking myself out of good deals with being cautious...so thanks guys- I appreciate you taking the time

Buying second hand puts me off not knowing a vehicle history - you have a huge advantage there and knowing it's been looked after... just don't fall out if anything should go wrong!
Agree strongly that you need to weigh up Beach v Ocean requirements

Worth noting that a 4 motion prob won’t have 3 rails in the back. (Early T5’s did, but latter models didn’t due to gross weight I believe.)
This will prevent you from adding in a 5th seat to carry 5. So just be aware it’s just a 4 seater. Not sure if this could ever be a factor for your decision making.

Mart- thanks. Yes that’s it in one. I don’t think I’d be buying private myself if I didn’t know it- but it does make things tricky. I’ve seen him drive it, been with him abroad, seen it’s been serviced, even know the supermarket dinks it’s had fixed. It’s not been cosseted but it’s been looked after. It’s not been in a bang or crash and it doesn’t get hammered. I’ve bought a car off a friend in the past and it was a belter with no probs so touch wood all would be ok! I think other than things going wrong what adds the other dimension is selling it on after buying from a mate - if it’s not for us or I needed to flog it due to finances etc I wouldn’t want him thinking I’d exploited a good price to my own end.
i may actually be thinking about the whole process too much!!
Big ted- that does answer one of my questions actually as I did think of an extra seat. There Certainly won’t be any more kids coming in this house so four might need to be enough Cheers.

Sounds like a good van and only you can decide but just remember that you could get a brand new Ocean (150hp) with 5 year warranty for very close to that money at the moment.

Sounds like a good van and only you can decide but just remember that you could get a brand new Ocean (150hp) with 5 year warranty for very close to that money at the moment.
[/QUOTE
2 haw- thanks.
really ?? For £36k?
My mistake looking at my original post looks a bit ambiguous - the 47k I referred to was the mileage ! The price is £36

Sorry, I did read it as 47 grand for your friends one.

At 36k, get it bought, use it for a few years and get your money back.

My kids love the French camping holidays.

2haw. Cheers bud !
Thank gawd for that ! I’m having enough bleeding dilemmas and soul searching here mate without you throwing the option of buting new oceans into the mix!!! I Thought I’d been looking in the wrong places ( the story of my life....)!

I must say thanks to everyone for advice and words of wisdom and cheers for welcoming me to the forum. - this is providing me with a fantastic diversion to avoid putting my deccies back in the loft this morning if nothing else so keep them coming!

Cheers hotel cali!
Velma’S dad. it’s a bit complicated in that we actually wanted an oceanthen saw the prices,balked, backed down , persuaded ourselves we wanted a beach and rationalised it ( five seats being handy, we can always take a camp stove , bigger bed etc) then the ocean was offered to me and I’ve had to re- rationalise.

It could have been worse - I could have actually bought a beach then been offered the ocean!
Bit more background. It Probably won’t be a daily driver ( yet) for me due to work / have current cars etc and wife’s car needs. Reckon it will do weekends and three - four french trips a year with kids based on our past travels with tents.
Alison- thanksNot sure on the warranty will check. I know the sink works but yes will check re the hob.

An-j. Thanks. Yes it’s 4wd. The lack of the parking heater on the beaches we looked at was niggling me! You are right re the bed - I can sleep on a washing line but my wife has back probs so there is every chance she will be in that on her own She struggles with camping now due to the beds so this may well be her own private double bed on wheels! The idea was to compliment our existing camping , and to make stop overs easier. We also looked at a “ big white” but I like the option of the daily driver and as a day van with the dog and the whole Cali experience
there’s a hell of a lot of soul searching gone into this already with the family-I’m also notorious for talking myself out of good deals with being cautious...so thanks guys- I appreciate you taking the time

The SE/Ocean format in general really works for us even though we mostly only use the kitchen for morning coffee and snacks. But we almost never need to travel, let alone camp, with more than the two of us (plus pooch). If we did, I'd be keen to have the extra flexibility and space of the Beach - although plenty of people do camp as families in an Ocean, very happily.

You're right to highlight the parking heater - you mention the Beaches you looked at didn't have one. A big factor for any buyer who planning to use the van even 3-seasons let alone 4. We have one (standard on the SE/Ocean) but if I was buying a Beach then the heater would be an absolute must-have, either as a factory-fit option or budget for an after-market unit. Yes you can take an electric fan heater for campsite hook-ups, but we use the diesel heater in all kinds of places eg when wild camping or parked up by a lake for an hour for breakfast in winter time. Absolutely essential in our opinion.

Velmas dad- tganks for that-you know what, I’ve worn out the threads on here looking at oceans v beaches and trying to formulate in our mind what we actually wanted out if the whole Cali experience. We had more or less decided that out of everything the heater if nothing else this was probably going to be a stopper for what we wanted out if any van, and this is why I hadn’t committed up until now. If the right beach had come up with a heater we’d have had it. It was about adding the flexibility and extending the seasons usefulness to us by having the option to use the van through the winter.

The mileage on my mates ocean was of some concern to me especially as of course it’s “ sold as” with no warranty and I had seen some of the issues with older Calis and engines. I’m not sure if it’s had the cam belt and water pump done but can find out as I do know it’s had VW Service.
As per 2haws comment about using it then flogging it in a couple of years- Im encouraged by the potential depreciation - if it’s not for us or the kids outgrow it I’m hopefully not chucking ( too much) money in a hole

Imagine if you'd be looking for an ocean, or a beach and you dind't know a friend who was selling one. You'd be dealing with strangers or car dealers. You'd jump at buying from a friend. If only for the fact that you'll know you won't be scammed. Sure, when you buy from a friend the van could also turn out to have some problems, but your odds are much better this was then buying from anyone else. And the price gives you room to pay for some repairs if needed. I tend to overthink and overanalyse things to. Always afraid of making the wrong decision. Believe me, the more you think, the less chance you'll buy it. Even though they keep their value quite well, it's not a good investment moneywise. It is however a brilliant investment happyness-wise :) Everyone on this forum will tell you! And if it turns out nopt to be the right thing for you and your family, youy'll sell in in a year or two and probably make money of it. By that time remember to buy your friend a drink! ;-)

Its looks like a no brainer to me. Free motoring for a few years. Can always buy a decent insurance warranty if your worried.

Right. Looks like it’s happening !! Thanks all for the welcome and words of wisdom!
Need some advice on insurance now.... so starting a new thread!

There are many threads here on insurance. There are discounts available to members of this forum..
Ring round and be careful that all your requirements are covered, such as habitation, as not all insurers underwriters are clear in their cover or lack of it... It does depend on your personal location, age, etc...