Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tall awnings - can you use them with Cali?

thesquirrelpatrol

thesquirrelpatrol

VIP Member
Hi all,
Our beach is being built next Monday for an early June delivery and I’m starting to get our accessories ordered.

We want to get a drive away awning but after a lot of googling it seems that no one has any stock left! some of the retailers/eBayers apprar to have the tall versions of the various awnings we were looking at however.

What I was wondering was, has anybody tried using a vango ‘tall’ awning with their California and if so what were the issues/benefits over the low models which are designed for the Cali?

the models we were looking at are the Cruz/hexaway/galli - any thoughts on those would be welcomed as well

thanks

Have a look at the thread FIRST CAMP IN OUR COAST AND SOME LESSONS LEARNT TO SHARE for photos on what's wrong with using a tall awning, its the tunnel connection won't ever fit right.

Hi all,
Our beach is being built next Monday for an early June delivery and I’m starting to get our accessories ordered.

We want to get a drive away awning but after a lot of googling it seems that no one has any stock left! some of the retailers/eBayers apprar to have the tall versions of the various awnings we were looking at however.

What I was wondering was, has anybody tried using a vango ‘tall’ awning with their California and if so what were the issues/benefits over the low models which are designed for the Cali?

the models we were looking at are the Cruz/hexaway/galli - any thoughts on those would be welcomed as well

thanks
Mine is a normal vango (not short or tall). There is extra material. But you can pull out the sides and uses the straps above the ‘doors’ on the awning close to the van to tighten it.
A tall version may flap more and form more puddles on the roof as there is more material to spare.

Am I wrong in thinking that you could just set the awning up further from the van to tension the extra material?

Hi all,

thanks
I don’t think there would be any benefits but there would be issues with flapping and water pooling, and as has been said moving further away won’t work; it would always be an expensive and I expect frustrating compromise. There’s a fair difference between the awnings you are looking at too, a Galli is a different beast to a Hexaway.
Can thoroughly recommend a Galli, great awning for longer stays and works really well with the kids - good space for living and sleeping.
I would go for a temporary non drive away tent option until you can get what you want but have you tried the for sale section? Often lightly used awnings on offer. This one was posted a few days ago and would be a fantastic awning at a fair price given current demand:

Thanks for the replies, what you say makes sense.
I was starting to consider whether the drive away option was the best way to go actually or whether to get a standalone tent and extend the roll out awning to bridge the gap.

I was starting to consider whether the drive away option was the best way to go actually or whether to get a standalone tent and extend the roll out awning to bridge the gap.
Get the right size drive away awning for your van, the OP in the other thread already had an awning for a larger / higher van,
you can improve the situation with a taller awning, but it will always be a compromise (an expensive compromise if you buy the awning from new)

It’s a different story if you already have an awning for a larger van.
in that case if it’s your only option you’ve got to work with what you’ve got, in the short term, then you can play with the compromises, but it will never fit 100%

Am I wrong in thinking that you could just set the awning up further from the van to tension the extra material?
Yes, you’re wrong. Tall awnings have taller side panels, it’s not just more material in the “roof” of the tunnel.

That is one solution but rain will run off a tent roof down all 4 sides and you inevitably end up with water at the foot of the door of your tent in between van &tent. A driveaway keeps that space nice and dry.

That is one solution but rain will run off a tent roof down all 4 sides and you inevitably end up with water at the foot of the door of your tent in between van &tent. A driveaway keeps that space nice and dry.
Good point

Yes, you’re wrong. Tall awnings have taller side panels, it’s not just more material in the “roof” of the tunnel.
Can the side material not be pegged out?

Can the side material not be pegged out?
No, it doesn’t work like that Because of the shape. As someone said previously it will flap and water will pool. In a heavy downpour you need the water to run off or the weight can do damage to the awning tunnel fabric, the seams &/or where it joins to the van.

Back