Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tambour doors

BikerGran

BikerGran

Growing old disgracefully
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
If that's what they are called - one of mine has come apart. Is there any way to fix this, as it has to stay flexible? Or is it possible to replace it without taking the whole cupboard out?

DSCF0001.JPG

Very common fault, easy to replace yourself ( we sell them in the forum shop ) however you are probably best to try and fix yourself first using some cross weave tape.

Think any Cali thats been used a lot will suffer this at some time , hard to replace i think?

If that's what they are called - one of mine has come apart. Is there any way to fix this, as it has to stay flexible? Or is it possible to replace it without taking the whole cupboard out?

View attachment 16426
Agree with Martin. Later model years have 2 or 3 lengths of clear reinforced tape on the inside.

Agree with Martin. Later model years have 2 or 3 lengths of clear reinforced tape on the inside.
Mine does 2012 , was that tape not on in every Cali?

Thanks people - don't know why I didn't think of using tape, I have some grey gaffa tape, standard motorcyclist remedy for anything that moves when it shouldn't!

Thanks people - don't know why I didn't think of using tape, I have some grey gaffa tape, standard motorcyclist remedy for anything that moves when it shouldn't!
That should do nicely. At least 3 strips, but as it has come apart already I would put 5 strips.

I have this problem with the door nearest the back.

The split has given rise to two bits.
The bit nearest the back is easily removable by undoing the bottom runner.
The bit nearest the front has slid into the 1" gap between the rear cupboard and the wardrobe.

I can't fathom out a way of getting it out short of dismantling the whole double cupboard unit.
I've tried hooks, gaffer tape and even parking the vehicle on a driver-side slope down at which point the top of the trapped/hidden bit pokes out a few inches but I can't get further than that.
:(

Has anyone successfully solved this problem?
I'd be seriously grateful for any advice from them.
:thumb

(There was no backing tape on this 2007/8 machine)

I have this problem with the door nearest the back.

The split has given rise to two bits.
The bit nearest the back is easily removable by undoing the bottom runner.
The bit nearest the front has slid into the 1" gap between the rear cupboard and the wardrobe.

I can't fathom out a way of getting it out short of dismantling the whole double cupboard unit.
I've tried hooks, gaffer tape and even parking the vehicle on a driver-side slope down at which point the top of the trapped/hidden bit pokes out a few inches but I can't get further than that.
:(

Has anyone successfully solved this problem?
I'd be seriously grateful for any advice from them.
:thumb

(There was no backing tape on this 2007/8 machine)
I would try some malleable wire, garden type , and make a hook bend, about 0.5cm at one end. Pass into the cavity with the bend/hook pointing up or down,at the bottom, and push until the hook/bend is BEYOND the door remnant and then twist the wire until the hook/bend is behind the door remnant and then gently pull out. You might need one wire hook at the bottom and one at the top to stop the remnant twisting in the runners.

Yes WG, it sound like the sensible way but the sodding thing remains jammed when I do it and when I do several versions of it. I can't for the life of me fathom out why. Especially when the top edge of the jammed bit is relatively free.

I like the gaffer tape / WD40 solution for all problems :D

Yes WG, it sound like the sensible way but the sodding thing remains jammed when I do it and when I do several versions of it. I can't for the life of me fathom out why. Especially when the top edge of the jammed bit is relatively free.
Sounds as if the bottom has jammed. Probably needs to be pushed in to release. Pushed in at the top first to straighten up the remnant.

All this encourages me to try again (and again ...) ...
If I still get nowhere then I'll resort to some serious brute force and then ring up the shop for a replacement.
Of course, this all rests on me being able to remove all of the bits.

Oh well ...

I am an engineering disaster zone but when my rear tambour door decided to become two a bit of brown parcel tape worked miracles ....

I am an engineering disaster zone but when my rear tambour door decided to become two a bit of brown parcel tape worked miracles ....

Unfortunately no help for me - it's not possible to apply any tape to one of the two remnants because it's stuck and inaccessible :(

Unfortunately no help for me - it's not possible to apply any tape to one of the two remnants because it's stuck and inaccessible :(

Not quite the same thing but the two clips that hold the doors closed on the hanging wardrobe side have broken on mine.

Last time it was in the dealers having something done I asked for a quote to fix them.

£3,344.00 :shocked

Apparently the whole thing comes as one unit and has to be replaced ......

Last edited:
Not quite the same thing but the two clips that hold the doors closed on the hanging wardrobe side have broken on mine.

Last time it was in the dealers having something done I asked for a quote to fix them.

£3,344.00 :shocked

Apparently the whole thing comes as one unit and has to be replaced ......

I've run out of fingers and toes representing the design fails on this damned vehicle

View attachment 16426

They have a VW RETAIL price of £77.06 inc vat and don't forget you would get some VIP discount if that helps.

The door on the back cupboard has come apart on my T5, I was hoping to get it sorted when it reaches its first service. Might have a try myself now.

Back