Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tan Hill.

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
UKs highest pub. We've been a few times in the past and had food and drink but not again. Originally they asked for a donation to charity to park overnight and that was it. Now, £10/person and you HAVE to eat and drink in the pub. OK they now have some new toilets and showers but to make it a condition to eat and drink in the pub is pushing it.

UKs highest pub. We've been a few times in the past and had food and drink but not again. Originally they asked for a donation to charity to park overnight and that was it. Now, £10/person and you HAVE to eat and drink in the pub. OK they now have some new toilets and showers but to make it a condition to eat and drink in the pub is pushing it.
I have it bookmarked if ever in that area , but i've read also it's getting crowded . It's all about money these days . Not much comes for free anymore .
We have to lookout for new gems...

Have used the pub in the past but feel +£20 for us to stay over on top of meals and drinks is pushing it in my view.

Not sure that's true is it??

It doesn't say you have to eat and drink with them on Facebook or have you been and had a problem?

For me why wouldn't you eat and drink in a pub that are kindly hosting you for as little as £10?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Must be illegal what they are doing, fair enough if the pitch was free but to charge you £20 and force you to use the pub is taking the pi$$ . Thanks for heads up

Why not just pay up and get on with it. It will close without shedloads of support from the likes of us. I’m sure you will enjoys the food and location.

I would understand if the pitch was free but to charge for the pitch AND still say you have to eat in the pub is wrong !!! If hotels did this there would be an uproar if they forced you to have an evening meal with them. I agree they need support but it should be voluntary

I would understand if the pitch was free but to charge for the pitch AND still say you have to eat in the pub is wrong !!! If hotels did this there would be an uproar if they forced you to have an evening meal with them. I agree they need support but it should be voluntary
I haven't seen anything that says it's true unless someone has personal experience. They don't say on Facebook you must eat with them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

i don't get why you would park outside a pub all night and not go in for a pint or 10. what do you do ? park up. watch telly all night. then go home ? imagine if you couldn't get in because theres loads of mohos there and they are all just sat there watching sodding eastenders. you would be pi55ed off then.
i agree the price hike is a bit steep though. tenner each ? you may aswell just go get a campsite for that price.
i went one new years eve and had a great night. donation was a fiver just a couple of year ago.
maybe they would be better giving some sort of refund if you ordered some snap

Last edited:
I think some people who think this is reasonable are confusing the word 'pitch' with 'carpark'.

IMHO it's fine to insist customers sleeping overnight in the car park use the pub (properly, not just a 1/2 pint). It's also fine to charge for using the car park if campers don't use the pub. But to do both, crosses a line. (obviously different if it's a campsite / even grassy field with loos / showers).

The pub has plenty of experience. Perhaps they know better.

But you would be paying a pretty penny to stay at the hotel not a tenner. Maybe the charge has been introduced because some didn’t give a voluntary contribution.

As usual many opinions:D
Never been to Tan Hill as said above it is (was?) on the list.

Imo charging for the night and obligated to take a meal is to much to ask.
One of them is the general rule i've been used to come up in the past.

I'm happy to take a meal if obligated when want to spent the night in a place (in this case the region has not much other options i think)
But mostley i go for just a place to sleep and make our meal ourselfes , i'm in general not looking for a place to eat , just somewhere to park up for the night and if availble use service like toilet/shower.

Seem to remember when in Wales we stayed at a site next to a pub (not a full blown camping) and you would get a discount when eating in the pub , that way you simply get the money payed for the night in return.

I would imagine the reason they are now charging is that too few people have been leaving the voluntary donation. Some people would definitely take advantage of their goodwill. Why shouldn’t they charge for somebody parking on their property overnight, I don’t understand why you are objecting. Being the highest pub in the UK sounds like a great place to spend a night, I would certainly pay up.

I think people are not reading @briwy post correctly, it's not the issue of paying for the pitch, it's the fact that you have to pay for a pitch PLUS you must buy a meal in the pub too.

I think people are not reading @briwy post correctly, it's not the issue of paying for the pitch, it's the fact that you have to pay for a pitch PLUS you must buy a meal in the pub too.
I’ve read the post fully and reading between the lines I would imagine that some people have failed to make a donation and have then eaten in their vans. It’s always the few that spoilt it for the many. It seems a small price to pay, I mean you’re not going to be staying there regularly.

Think everyone should read the Tan Hill Facebook page before sharing opinions, you will see the facilities they have put in place and confirm what is/is not accepted. Looks like they have tried to limit the visitors as they should and that they have a booking system to limit the numbers and comply with social distancing.
Its a great place to visit and one of the real gems that delivers something different.

Park down the road and walk up if it’s an issue. As long as it’s not ‘in clag’ you’ll find your way.

We’ve had some cracking nights at the Tan Hill Inn.
I’m not sure how they enforce the fee. I’ve always just paid my fiver and booked the dirty fry up for breakfast.

Live music every week too ... or at least it used to be. I’ll be watching this thread with interest. I was hoping to pop up there again soon.

Love the view, Love the location, happy to pay to pitch up. Happy to have a drink. Can not say I was overwhelmed by the food at the pub when we visited (a while ago now) So the thought of a compulsory meal after paying £20 for 2 of us to camp would make me find another stopover. I think a pub with great food will not need to make coming in to eat compulsory - punters will be only too willing to book a table.

Their website says nothing about compulsory use of pub.

Camper Vans & Wild Camping:

We LOVE our Campers, and Camper Van community. We have noticed a massive increase in both since excavating our west elevation for easy flat land to park up. Tan Hill Inn welcomes everyone who comes up the hill to breathe in the fresh air of North Yorkshire at 1732 feet, but especially people who want to stay overnight on their own wheels!

Cost:

We do charge a nominal £10 per person per night ( Adults charged only ). You can stay in the carparks and enjoy the magnificent views and stay overnight as long as you wish.

Facilities:

Showers & Toilets: We have invested in new external facilities following COVID including a new shower block and outside toilets and the wonderful Pit Stop Outside Bar.

We are happy for you to share our family bathroom by appointment only. Please arrange with the staff. We have people who stay in the bunk rooms that have to get through there first and there can be a bottle jam on busy occasions. However, we are always happy to share our facilities when it is possible to do so.

Electric Hook Up – At the moment Tan Hill hasn’t got this facility but will address it soon.

Many people who come and stay tend to book also for the experience of the atmosphere of Tan Hill Inn itself, the open fires, welcoming staff, wonderful food and not forgetting a fantastic choice of ales/ lagers and Ciders on offer. However with live music on every Friday and Saturday night, plus many other events in our newly refurbished barn it’s often worth checking out the website and or Facebook page when you are planning to come as there are usually offers on too.

Tan hill under its new owners, has always welcomed Motor homes. What could be better, given our location, then to have a happy community of like-minded people all up for a good night of eating, drinking singing and dancing. Then walking a short distance to your lovely mobile home. A good nights sleep and back into the Pub at around 8.30 / 9.00am for a great full English Breakfast. Given that our accommodation fills quickly on a weekend particularly, it’s a perfect way for you to visit, join in and enjoy the party atmosphere for which we are very well known.

So it seems that there's been a lot of moaning over nothing. I'm personally happy to support any pub to help it to survive. They really appear to be trying, good on them.

Love the view, Love the location, happy to pay to pitch up. Happy to have a drink. Can not say I was overwhelmed by the food at the pub when we visited (a while ago now) So the thought of a compulsory meal after paying £20 for 2 of us to camp would make me find another stopover. I think a pub with great food will not need to make coming in to eat compulsory - punters will be only too willing to book a table.
I agree the food has never been great. But then I go there for the music and the beers. Glad the post above seems to clarify things

It's a gem of a pub, in a special place and despite its small size is well known everywhere and on many a bucket list. Many small businesses like this in the Yorkshire Dales face bankruptcy in the coming months after a combination of floods over the winter and then C-19 closures and subsequent reduced capacity.

Campervans are ideal for visiting the Yorkshire Dales - ideal for the small roads and isolated campsites. Try and get as remote as you can and support all the local businesses that you can - otherwise they may just not be there in a few months or next year. Nothing more heartbreaking after a long walk to find that yet another pub has shut its doors for good.

I don't know the exact situation on Tan Hill, but I for one would be happy to eat there and pay for an overnight space - especially if it includes toilets and showers, and a good pint and cracking company from like-minded overnight guests looking to enjoy the experience...

Stayed here for a couple of nights just before lockdown set in , very impressed with new toilet and shower unit, beer was very good but not over impressed with the food. But cannot fault the location set miles from anywhere , might get very busy at weekends if the sun is out

It's a gem of a pub, in a special place and despite its small size is well known everywhere and on many a bucket list. Many small businesses like this in the Yorkshire Dales face bankruptcy in the coming months after a combination of floods over the winter and then C-19 closures and subsequent reduced capacity.

Campervans are ideal for visiting the Yorkshire Dales - ideal for the small roads and isolated campsites. Try and get as remote as you can and support all the local businesses that you can - otherwise they may just not be there in a few months or next year. Nothing more heartbreaking after a long walk to find that yet another pub has shut its doors for good.

I don't know the exact situation on Tan Hill, but I for one would be happy to eat there and pay for an overnight space - especially if it includes toilets and showers, and a good pint and cracking company from like-minded overnight guests looking to enjoy the experience...
I suspect Tan Hill is not one of those hit by floods ;)
Joking aside, if they have excavated larger flat spots and built outside facilities to help accommodate campervans and Motorhomes, this will have cost tens of thousands. It sounds like asking people to contribute a small amount to spread the cost between the people who use it and to support the pub is a great way to keep something unique alive at this difficult time.

Back