Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tap stopped working

Kirx

Kirx

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Greasy water tap has stopped working. I have read through the other threads in this, but my problem seems to be different. I cannot hear the pump at all, have checked there’s water in it, and opened the tank lid to clear an air lock, but still nothing. CampervanBits has mentioned there may be an easy fix, but I have a drawer under the sink and can’t even get my head into the cupboard to have a look.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Kirstie

Hi Kirstie
Some possible causes to eliminate:
- no power to the pump, leisure batteries charged? 5 amp fuse under passenger seat OK?
- micro switch in tap not working - there is an electrical connection block at back of cupboard under sink pull apart and use something like a paper clip across the two terminals of the plug on the pump side.
- if this all checks out and still no water then problem is most likely the pump.

If there is anything I've missed or there are differences on T6 then I,m sure someone with more expertise will be along soon.

Kelvin

Hi Kirstie
Some possible causes to eliminate:
- no power to the pump, leisure batteries charged? 5 amp fuse under passenger seat OK?
- micro switch in tap not working - there is an electrical connection block at back of cupboard under sink pull apart and use something like a paper clip across the two terminals of the plug on the pump side.
- if this all checks out and still no water then problem is most likely the pump.

If there is anything I've missed or there are differences on T6 then I,m sure someone with more expertise will be along soon.

Kelvin
Hi Kelvin,
Thanks for your reply, yep battery charged, water in the tank.

Found the black connector thing but can’t pull apart, found the water tank but physically cannot take the lid off to get to the actually pump. I can’t even find the fuse box!

I’ll just take it to a dealership, I really don’t know what I’m doing!

kind regards, Kirstie

My pump was replaced under warranty early last year. I could hear the ‘click’ of the microswitch when lifting the arm to switch tbe tap on, but no pump motor sound.
Can you hear the microswitch at all?

My pump was replaced under warranty early last year. I could hear the ‘click’ of the microswitch when lifting the arm to switch tbe tap on, but no pump motor sound.
Can you hear the microswitch at all?
Thank you for your reply. There is no sound at all. I have had a read of previous threads but really don’t want to be faffing myself, I’m always at the min and don’t want anything else going wrong. I’ll just find the nearest dealership and see if they can fix it. Kind regards, Kirstie

a warranty job - not worth the hassle of fixing oneself (or failing to fix)
pump unit on ours gave up last year.. (no sound was just dead) not cheap if not warranty...

Hi Kelvin,
Thanks for your reply, yep battery charged, water in the tank.

Found the black connector thing but can’t pull apart, found the water tank but physically cannot take the lid off to get to the actually pump. I can’t even find the fuse box!

I’ll just take it to a dealership, I really don’t know what I’m doing!

kind regards, Kirstie
Have a look at post 79 & 80 in the following ....

Yes, these are my thoughts too, it’s just I’m away at the min and could do without the hassle of no water and dealing with a Spanish garage. Thanks for your reply.

kind regards, Kirstie
Have a look at post 79 & 80 in the following ....
Thank you, so I did actually get to separate the black connector thanks to that thread you sent, but nothing has changed, still no water! Thank you for replying though.
Regards, Kirstie

Sounds like the pump. They can stick. You will need to make a tool to get the tank lid off. Try banging the tank? The fuse is located under the passenger seat and is orange. 5a I think. You can also easily remove the kitchen drawer that you state is in the way. Just open it. Operate the 2 clips underneath and it pullsoff the rails. You can now see the bottom of your tap to check the small wires haven't come off the switch.

Thanks you for the photos. My tap seems to be on again, for how long, who knows! So, for now I won’t touch it, but when it stops again I’ll have a go at fixing the internal workings. I may contact you again to ask what you actually had to do, if you don’t mind?
Kind regards,
Kirstie

Thanks you for the photos. My tap seems to be on again, for how long, who knows! So, for now I won’t touch it, but when it stops again I’ll have a go at fixing the internal workings. I may contact you again to ask what you actually had to do, if you don’t mind?
Kind regards,
Kirstie
no problem any time

Greasy water tap has stopped working. I have read through the other threads in this, but my problem seems to be different. I cannot hear the pump at all, have checked there’s water in it, and opened the tank lid to clear an air lock, but still nothing. CampervanBits has mentioned there may be an easy fix, but I have a drawer under the sink and can’t even get my head into the cupboard to have a look.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Kirstie
We found that there is a delay on ours after hearing the micro switch there is no sound from the pump for a few minutes and then suddenly Whoosh! The pump starts making a noise and then suddenly pick up a beat and spouts water. The more we used it over a ten day period the less time it took to kick in and sometimes operated like a proper tap. I got the impression it was something like the contacts warning up before working, although we were camping in very hot conditions , but who knows with electrics?

We found that there is a delay on ours after hearing the micro switch there is no sound from the pump for a few minutes and then suddenly Whoosh! The pump starts making a noise and then suddenly pick up a beat and spouts water. The more we used it over a ten day period the less time it took to kick in and sometimes operated like a proper tap. I got the impression it was something like the contacts warning up before working, although we were camping in very hot conditions , but who knows with electrics?
Anybody experienced this delay rather than complete failure? Had it again this last weekend.

Anybody experienced this delay rather than complete failure? Had it again this last weekend.
Make sure the tap is fully closed after use as the water can drain back and so give a delay as the pipe is filled.

I am having this issue. Sometimes we start the tap and it splutters and then pump doesn’t kick And is dead . Leave it 5 mins and it might work . Intermittent though as sometimes we go to it and it’s fine . Seems to be worse when you leave it a couple of days . Did you resolve your issue ? As I don’t like the having the stress of not knowing if the tap will work

Hi. I am testing the theory of making sure the tap is closed properly so that water does not drain back down but limited success so far

Hi. I am testing the theory of making sure the tap is closed properly so that water does not drain back down but limited success so far
Hi there.

We are having this exact issue!

I just wondered if you ever got to the bottom of it?

Regards,

Mark.

Hi Mark
We just persisted with trying to make sure we closed the tap and eventually it started working fine. We have found that more regular use is beneficial and not letting the tank run dry is another factor. Hope you come right. Leon

Cheers for the reply Leon,

I’ll try that and see how it goes.

All the best,

Mark.

Hi, I've replaced the micro switch and I'm trying to use the original wiring connectors. The old wire connectors (the small sliver female bayonet-type connectors about 1 cm long) have perished and I would like to replace them. I've been to VW, auto electircal stores, household electrical stores, scoured the internet, and I cannot find them. Strange that VW can't provide the entire components for their own vehicles. Before anyone suggests splicing and soldering wires together, no thanks. I don't want to do that because it continually cuts into the vehicle wiring system as microswitches are replaced. Does any one know where to buy the small silver connectors or what they are called?

IMG_6164.JPG

IMG_6165 2.JPG

Hi, I've replaced the micro switch and I'm trying to use the original wiring connectors. The old wire connectors (the small sliver female bayonet-type connectors about 1 cm long) have perished and I would like to replace them. I've been to VW, auto electircal stores, household electrical stores, scoured the internet, and I cannot find them. Strange that VW can't provide the entire components for their own vehicles. Before anyone suggests splicing and soldering wires together, no thanks. I don't want to do that because it continually cuts into the vehicle wiring system as microswitches are replaced. Does any one know where to buy the small silver connectors or what they are called?

View attachment 82683

View attachment 82684
Just solder them on? Wiring stays same length then. It's easy to de solder in future if needed