Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tax and Insurance of vehicle

L

Lorri

T6 204 Ocean
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Not being fully retired yet we have found since buying “The Van” that we are probably only going to use it April to end Sept for the time being.
We are now thinking of only taxing it for 6 months and possibly reducing the insurance from Fully Comp to Fire and Theft for those months too.
The Van is garaged all the time and we think quite secure.
Any one else do this ? ?

Seems a shame to limit your options. We had a week away in February this year and had pretty good weather.

If that works for you then fine. It shouldn't really matter if anyone else does it or not.

My only reservation would be the health of the vehicle. They are complicated vans which benefit from regular use.

If that works for you then fine. It shouldn't really matter if anyone else does it or not.

My only reservation would be the health of the vehicle. They are complicated vans which benefit from regular use.
Yes that is very much in forefront of our minds - not sure if driving it back and forth down the 30ft drive every now and then will suffice along with just running engine for a while.

I doubt whether you’ll save much on the insurance, in fact I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t end up costing you more. When I last looked Third party insurance isn’t much cheaper than fully comp and unless you found a very flexible insurance company (some hope!) I expect they would want to charge a hefty admin charge to change the cover mid term. Even then I would be surprised if they’d offer any refund.
I SORN my MX5 over the winter but don’t bother to change the insurance.
If you do get anywhere with your plan let us know the outcome.

I doubt whether you’ll save much on the insurance, in fact I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t end up costing you more. When I last looked Third party insurance isn’t much cheaper than fully comp and unless you found a very flexible insurance company (some hope!) I expect they would want to charge a hefty admin charge to change the cover mid term. Even then I would be surprised if they’d offer any refund.
I SORN my MX5 over the winter but don’t bother to change the insurance.
If you do get anywhere with your plan let us know the outcome.
Will do - plan on making further enquiries during the week.

Changing Insurance would probably mean a change of policy so could be counter productive, best to leave it alone. Pretty much as @ArunAlec said and also Sorn is essential if no VED paid or get fined.

I'd say short running up/down the drive would do more harm than good to emissions system and engine as you'd never get everything up to full operating temperature. Put tyre pressures up to stop-ease flat spotting, Tyre Savers are worth considering.

Some of my most enjoyable weekends in the Cali are in the winter months. The heater is brilliant and gets the Cali warmed up in a few minutes. On a cold crisp morning few things beat looking at the sunrise over Snowdonia where I frequently stay.
It seems a shame to limit your useage of such a fabulous machine to summer only.
The campsites are emptier in the Autumn and Winter as well.

Some of my most enjoyable weekends in the Cali are in the winter months. The heater is brilliant and gets the Cali warmed up in a few minutes. On a cold crisp morning few things beat looking at the sunrise over Snowdonia where I frequently stay.
It seems a shame to limit your useage of such a fabulous machine to summer only.
The campsites are emptier in the Autumn and Winter as well.
Agreed, we are out & about much more enjoying the solitude in Autumn, Winter & Spring, we find Summer too hot & busy so tend to do day trips or just overnight in July & August.