Taxation Class

fordyski100

fordyski100

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Can anyone explain this .
My Vehicle 2012 Calidornia 180 Berghaus
V5 States….. Motor Caravan PRIVATE / LIGHT GOODS (PLG)
Tax cost 1year £230

My mates vehicle
2013 California 180
V5 States Motor Caravan Diesel Car
Tax cost 1year £285

Confused ? :headbang We are. :headbang

Ok……we know someone will say why am i moaning ….mines cheaper.Its not my point.
My point is why are 2 vehicles that in all essence are the same classed completely differently and at different rates.

Anyone know the answer?

I think the first years tax is more expensive

I think the first years tax is more expensive

The prices were both for renewal of tax (2nd year) .

Just checked my V5,

Body: Motor Caravan
Taxation class: Diesel Car

I've tried to find a definitive reference but failed but I think that newly registered motor caravans were reclassified in the 2013 budget from PLG to CO2 banded. This would be consistent with the dates above. Once classified they don't change unless the classification was erroneous. Can anyone confirm this?

ChrisandPenney52 said:
I've tried to find a definitive reference but failed but I think that newly registered motor caravans were reclassified in the 2013 budget from PLG to CO2 banded. This would be consistent with the dates above. Once classified they don't change unless the classification was erroneous. Can anyone confirm this?
Thank you for this answer .It definitely sounds plausible , unless anyone knows different?

So this means anyone driving a pre budget 2013 California is limited to 60mph on motorways and 50mph on Dual carriageways ? (This is probably a point very few of us would have known ,if it is correct? And needs clarification)
Also despite having exactly the same engine and emissions , anyone driving a California registered after the 2013 budget has been penalised by having to pay £285 road tax instead of £230 that pre budget 2013 vehicles pay ?

Very Interesting.

If anyone is 100% sure of these facts ,I would be very appreciative.

Also posted in "Are we panel vans"

I believe ChrisandPenny are correct. If the vehicle has a cO2 rating from the vehicle manufacturer then that is used for purposes of taxation. Large motorhomes, because they are modified by a convertor will still be classed as a motorhome and hence have the lower taxation class.
The speed limits are applicable by vehicle weight and not taxation class so ALL Californias will be regarded the same when it comes to traffic law.

Hubert

Not sure if this is the same issue or if the regs have changed since but when we first purchased our van in 2008 we were told the registration for road tax was wrong by the dealer and to write to the DVLA. The DVLA confirmed that because CO2 emission levels were given they were therefore classed as diesel cars rather than as motorhomes as PLGs. This changed the tax then from £400 to £185.

fordyski100 said:
ChrisandPenney52 said:
Thank you for this answer .It definitely sounds plausible , unless anyone knows different?

So this means anyone driving a pre budget 2013 California is limited to 60mph on motorways and 50mph on Dual carriageways ? (This is probably a point very few of us would have known ,if it is correct? And needs clarification)
Also despite having exactly the same engine and emissions , anyone driving a California registered after the 2013 budget has been penalised by having to pay £285 road tax instead of £230 that pre budget 2013 vehicles pay ?

Very Interesting.

If anyone is 100% sure of these facts ,I would be very appreciative.

No, the speed limits for all correctly classified Californias of any age are the same as for cars, as long as they are classified as M1 passenger vehicle and not N1 goods vehicle. This is stated on your V5. The changes I'm referring to (if I've got it right) affect only road tax.

In 2009 a few of us clarified this by contacting VAG and the DVLA and the taxation class for a California was set at PLG. I have a letter from the DVLA setting this out. It seems in the interim this has been missed and Deisel Car is used. This needs correcting and I am in contact with the DVLA. I shall report on the outcome.

last September 2014, I paid £485 road tax on a 2013 180 dsg 4 motion. So not a van, more a car. PLG

In 2009 a few of us clarified this by contacting VAG and the DVLA and the taxation class for a California was set at PLG. I have a letter from the DVLA setting this out. It seems in the interim this has been missed and Deisel Car is used. This needs correcting and I am in contact with the DVLA. I shall report on the outcome.
Hi Calicliff. What did DVLA say? I just bought a '64 plate SE TDI BMT where the V5C/2 says 1968cc with CO2 189 g/km, taxation class DIESEL CAR hence £280 to tax! Should I ask for reclassification under Euro 5 or as PLG do you think? Steve

Hi Calicliff. What did DVLA say? I just bought a '64 plate SE TDI BMT where the V5C/2 says 1968cc with CO2 189 g/km, taxation class DIESEL CAR hence £280 to tax! Should I ask for reclassification under Euro 5 or as PLG do you think? Steve
You have quoted a CO2 level for your vehicle - Hence Diesel Car, M1, Body Type Motorhome and same Speed Limits as all MI Cars. As far as I am aware it is Classed as Euro 5 as it is Post September 2011, Euro 6 came into force September 2015

You have quoted a CO2 level for your vehicle - Hence Diesel Car, M1, Body Type Motorhome and same Speed Limits as all MI Cars. As far as I am aware it is Classed as Euro 5 as it is Post September 2011, Euro 6 came into force September 2015
I just noticed, the other thing on the V5C/2 is 5 seats. The vehicle has 4. I read on another thread that DVLA base CO2 figures partly on weight, so a 5th seat might push the "car" up a level. Will DVLA re-classify? What if i fit a towbar?

I just noticed, the other thing on the V5C/2 is 5 seats. The vehicle has 4. I read on another thread that DVLA base CO2 figures partly on weight, so a 5th seat might push the "car" up a level. Will DVLA re-classify? What if i fit a towbar?
The addition of the extra seat/towbar will not increase the VED CO2 figure so your van will remain in band J of the car tax regime.

Your vehicle is capable of carrying 5 passengers. You can re-classify that if you wish, but it won't make any difference. Just as fitting a towbar will make no difference.
Just what are you trying to achieve?
DVLA don't decide the CO2 figures, VW do.
IMG_0357.PNG

Hi All, anyone know how much it will be to tax a 2010 VW California SE 2.0BITDI 180PS 4 MOTION?

We have a 2010 SE 2.0BITDI 180PS but FWD only and it costs £255 a year to tax, dont know if the 4 motion is different.

We have a 2010 SE 2.0BITDI 180PS but FWD only and it costs £255 a year to tax, dont know if the 4 motion is different.
Thanks, I think the 4 Motion puts it one class above that so £325, I just don't want the £500+ class!

Hi All, anyone know how much it will be to tax a 2010 VW California SE 2.0BITDI 180PS 4 MOTION?
If you have the Reg Number then you can check on the DVLA website.

If you have the Reg Number then you can check on the DVLA website.
DVLA Quoted as 0 with Reg entered so need the VC5 number for more detail but I don't have it

Back