Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tear Drop Trailers

View attachment 33070
Hiya Trebor , I’ve been out of contact for a few days as totally immersed in trip North to pick up the Eriba . It’s a 2017 Eriba Triton 430 gt with most of the extras , including choice of two heating systems gas or electric , larger water tank , shower , hot water , upgraded chassis and motormover .
I’ve never towed before and drove it down through Lincoln centre to my daughters . We think it’s fabulous. In contrast to other review here , maybe because it’s a newer model ? , we think it’s well made ( the joinery certainly no less then the Cali kitchens units ) it was ok to tow , but it’s not the same as driving with nothing attached . The body of the Eriba and all the bits fitted is well made for sure .
Last night we slept in it and we had the best sleep ever , also we used the loo and loved that . We ate breakfast in the Cali with the roof up and loved that too . During the night it rained hard , we had both the Cali and the Eriba roofs down , it’s possible to walk around the Eriba ok with the roof down . We awoke there was not a hint of condensation anywhere.
It’s not the same experience of freedom with another 5m in tow but at about the same width as the Cali we didn’t have to worry much going down narrow lanes or past cars going in the other direction . At 50mph on a straight ish road we did just about forget it was there .
Clearly for longer holidays or when one has a lot of stuff ( 350 kg payload in Eriba ))or a group of 4 people , it’s ideal ... we love it for little trips or in my own probably won’t bother .
The test will be the next few weeks , we are taking down to south of France , Italy and then Croatia. By the end of that we will really have a story to tell .
One thing we have found out is it’s easy to park in two small bays , something a 6 or 7 m motor home can’t do !
Here it is parked up at my daughters and we didn’t even use the motormover to get it in there .
It´s a left hand drive, did you import it ?

View attachment 33070
Hiya Trebor , I’ve been out of contact for a few days as totally immersed in trip North to pick up the Eriba . It’s a 2017 Eriba Triton 430 gt with most of the extras , including choice of two heating systems gas or electric , larger water tank , shower , hot water , upgraded chassis and motormover .
I’ve never towed before and drove it down through Lincoln centre to my daughters . We think it’s fabulous. In contrast to other review here , maybe because it’s a newer model ? , we think it’s well made ( the joinery certainly no less then the Cali kitchens units ) it was ok to tow , but it’s not the same as driving with nothing attached . The body of the Eriba and all the bits fitted is well made for sure .
Last night we slept in it and we had the best sleep ever , also we used the loo and loved that . We ate breakfast in the Cali with the roof up and loved that too . During the night it rained hard , we had both the Cali and the Eriba roofs down , it’s possible to walk around the Eriba ok with the roof down . We awoke there was not a hint of condensation anywhere.
It’s not the same experience of freedom with another 5m in tow but at about the same width as the Cali we didn’t have to worry much going down narrow lanes or past cars going in the other direction . At 50mph on a straight ish road we did just about forget it was there .
Clearly for longer holidays or when one has a lot of stuff ( 350 kg payload in Eriba ))or a group of 4 people , it’s ideal ... we love it for little trips or in my own probably won’t bother .
The test will be the next few weeks , we are taking down to south of France , Italy and then Croatia. By the end of that we will really have a story to tell .
One thing we have found out is it’s easy to park in two small bays , something a 6 or 7 m motor home can’t do !
Here it is parked up at my daughters and we didn’t even use the motormover to get it in there .

She looks great Niborn . Thought that you might be preoccupied. What bed system does your Eriba have ? Certainly a good night’s sleep is what we all like and a little bit more space wouldn’t go amiss . A heads , shower and an extra fridge would be great as well .

Really interested in your opinion whilst on your travels . Have considered all the options . Big 7/8 metre Hymer is tempting but you can’t use it as an every day car /van . I’ve just carried a very big yacht mainsail and other gear in the Cali to our Yacht Club and just managed to park . There were about 20 T5 T6s inc Californias so the says something ! Hymer are pretty huge on the drive also . There’s also the euro diesel business . We already have Euro 4/5/6 cars and don’t really want the hassle of another one . Diesels also need to be used and we all know diesel cars /vans are the only ones that have enough torque to tow unless it’s a V8 petrol . It’s also a lot more hassle to park a motorhome . We've also noticed at least 2 motorhomes parked on the roads near where we live ( which is a very nice area ) permanently presumumably because they don’t have a big enough drive ) . Think this is out of order but not illegal ... yet . Is this a National trend ?

What we’re looking for is a more comfortable bed and storage whilst on a longer trip and if it fits in the garage even better . Nice and light to tow . I think this must be why the Eriba hold their price very well .

How many miles do you do every year Niborn ? You seem to be going on big trips a lot or do you fly some of your trips ? Anyway wishing you both a great summer trip and keep in touch . Looking forward to meeting up in September if not before . Trebor and Caligirl .

88936118-C7EF-497E-8FE9-E39707B6588C.jpeg 6D010166-2E86-4BF5-A994-75CC104B8D9F.jpeg 454BBD6D-9F84-44F2-88CA-52BD826FD7CD.jpeg View attachment 33102 View attachment 33103 View attachment 33101 View attachment 33102 View attachment 33103
Was having google for an enclosure trailer for my motorbike, which would also be handy for storage and push-bikes etc etc.....

Thought I'd share, as the overall height is nicely in tandem with the cali.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teale-Services-Aluminium-Box-Trailer-Ramp-Door-Karting-Motocross-Quad-Transport/141661976043?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Teale Services Aluminium Box Trailer Ramp Door Karting Motocross Quad Transport
This is our box trailer .

Last edited:
OK so I visited Automotive Leisure today to view their huge stock of (Hymer) Eriba Caravans....

I struggled to fall in love with any in any way other than exterior and concept :-(

Having owned several Top end Dethleffs, Frankia and Hymer Motorhomes I was very disappointed in the interior feel and design. Its VERY old fashioned and seemingly quite flimsy (I accept weight is an issue). Its not a place that looks or feels luxurious or even comfy so I was not impressed enough to buy or order.

I have a 2017 Hymer Motorhome in stock and interior is fabulous and makes you want to live in it so this was a major contrast with their Eriba brand. They still look/feel like the 1995 models.

The Rockabilly may be a different story as its leather seats and generally upgraded material throughout. They will have one in two weeks so I will wait until I have seen that one before making a decision...
She looks great Niborn . Thought that you might be preoccupied. What bed system does your Eriba have ? Certainly a good night’s sleep is what we all like and a little bit more space wouldn’t go amiss . A heads , shower and an extra fridge would be great as well .

Really interested in your opinion whilst on your travels . Have considered all the options . Big 7/8 metre Hymer is tempting but you can’t use it as an every day car /van . I’ve just carried a very big yacht mainsail and other gear in the Cali to our Yacht Club and just managed to park . There were about 20 T5 T6s inc Californias so the says something ! Hymer are pretty huge on the drive also . There’s also the euro diesel business . We already have Euro 4/5/6 cars and don’t really want the hassle of another one . Diesels also need to be used and we all know diesel cars /vans are the only ones that have enough torque to tow unless it’s a V8 petrol . It’s also a lot more hassle to park a motorhome . We've also noticed at least 2 motorhomes parked on the roads near where we live ( which is a very nice area ) permanently presumumably because they don’t have a big enough drive ) . Think this is out of order but not illegal ... yet . Is this a National trend ?

What we’re looking for is a more comfortable bed and storage whilst on a longer trip and if it fits in the garage even better . Nice and light to tow . I think this must be why the Eriba hold their price very well .

How many miles do you do every year Niborn ? You seem to be going on big trips a lot or do you fly some of your trips ? Anyway wishing you both a great summer trip and keep in touch . Looking forward to meeting up in September if not before . Trebor and Caligirl .

We would of loved a larger motor home , but as an example a friend of mine just bought a very nice Knaus 6m box life , it’s a great van , lovely quality finish , however even with a ‘small ‘ 6 m van he has some parking and issues and so has decided also to keep his car .

That is why we are trying this combination to see if we can have the best of both worlds , driving agility when we need it most or comfort and space / storage / option . The picture just shows how easy they can be side by side in two normal spaces . I’m wondering if to take it to the Lapland trip..

We’ve only had the Cali a year and didn’t use it the whole of last summer , still we’ve done 12000 miles and by next month end 15000. We only use it for longer trips ...daydream two or more normally , we don’t use it at all for little trips , we’ve got smaller car options for shopping etc both in uk and France . I don’t often fly these days unless it’s long haul as I normally am with my dog.

I think for the longer holiday trips when we want to relax and when we have a base for a few days ,is where the Eriba will be parked up , reckon it’s igoing to work out , although if it didn’t we can easily sell it . The rare fixed bed option is really very comfortable, thicker and higher than the convertible option ; it’s nice thing to have a normal sit down toilet too plenty of hot water . The storage is such a dream to have , it has a huge storage under the bed too . we haven’t use the fridge yet but will definitely will on the camping trip stays.

I can’t imagine that towing the Eriba is much different from your large box trailer but I’ve so little experience.

We would of loved a larger motor home , but as an example a friend of mine just bought a very nice Knaus 6m box life , it’s a great van , lovely quality finish , however even with a ‘small ‘ 6 m van he has some parking and issues and so has decided also to keep his car .

That is why we are trying this combination to see if we can have the best of both worlds , driving agility when we need it most or comfort and space / storage / option . The picture just shows how easy they can be side by side in two normal spaces . I’m wondering if to take it to the Lapland trip..

We’ve only had the Cali a year and didn’t use it the whole of last summer , still we’ve done 12000 miles and by next month end 15000. We only use it for longer trips ...daydream two or more normally , we don’t use it at all for little trips , we’ve got smaller car options for shopping etc both in uk and France . I don’t often fly these days unless it’s long haul as I normally am with my dog.

I think for the longer holiday trips when we want to relax and when we have a base for a few days ,is where the Eriba will be parked up , reckon it’s igoing to work out , although if it didn’t we can easily sell it . The rare fixed bed option is really very comfortable, thicker and higher than the convertible option ; it’s nice thing to have a normal sit down toilet too plenty of hot water . The storage is such a dream to have , it has a huge storage under the bed too . we haven’t use the fridge yet but will definitely will on the camping trip stays.

I can’t imagine that towing the Eriba is much different from your large box trailer but I’ve so little experience.
It´s a left hand drive, di
Do you mean my Cali looks like a left hand drive ?

Worth considering fitting T 32 3 grey stripes rear springs Niborn . I think that it has transformed my 4 motion . Handles much better with and without trailer . My dealer had loads he had taken off when lowering new vans . They fitted them for £99 . Bargain . Keep in touch .

No. I meant your eriba.
I´ve since looked and they are all based on left hand drive, meaning the entrance
doors are on the right.

From the the parked together picture Niborns Eriba door is on the right as are all those I have looked at in the UK?

510AE69A-2B4E-4A12-A838-922AB40EBD7C.jpeg

Love the way your trailer lid lifts..... Who makes these trailers? I'd like to enquire about pricing etc.

Hi Jonathan . It’s a Anssems Vt2 .They are Dutch but widely available in Uk . Lots of sizes / load capacity / braked / unbraked . We use this mainly for moving boat sails and gear . It’s 1200 kg braked and will take 100 kg on the roof I think . We also use it as a mobile platform when polishing the hull in the boatyard . I’ve got a smaller camping version which I mainly use for visits to the tip . It’s a GT 750-201 Ht . Really good size for camping gear with Cali . This is a good British ( Pub Landlord ) website with all the models and current prices . They have gone up quite a bite with the Euro exchange rate but can really recommend them . Well made and tow very well and quiet and waterproof . I had just moved my son’s Triumph from Cornwall to Woolwich in the photo just after the snow . The van was filthy but bike spotless ! .http://www.bdstrailers.uk/anssems_trailers.html . I quite fancy an Eriba as well . Too many toys !

Last edited:
Yes Thanks Granny-Jen :)

Sorry, I've been a bit distracted for a few days and as your reply wasn't tagged to me I overlooked it.

Jo, my Sister, and I, initially saw the Cali as our lounge area but the Eriba captured our hearts. Just a lovely living area, so much so, we nearly always ate out when on holidays together but our last 14 day trip we ate out only once.

We have removed the end two-seater dinette table, our dogs live there.

Little update on the status of our trip and experience of towing the Eriba .

We drove down to Fayence two days ago to collect another Cali , a T 5 called Louie from 69 campers .
69 campers is a small but highly professional operation, the T5 was in great shape , very clean and altogether nicely presented . Matt the owner was super helpful and obviously very knowledgeable, full of top tips for IVOR my friend and his wife Pauline who hired it .

I drove there with them in my Cali now named “ Big Noah “ with the little Noah on tow ( the Eriba triton 430) .
This note is after two days after driving down / towing to near Uzes from Worksop ... so I’ve a pretty good idea about it all now . It was a long tow I think by anyone’s standards .

Motorway towing with Noah is a doddle ... don’t notice it’s there. County roads need to concentrate a bit . Windy narrow mountain roads with steep hills up and down , need to concentrate a lot , that said it easier then I thought to go round sharpish turns and reverse into spaces to park up little Noah .

Little Noah is lovely to sleep in , far more comfy then the Cali . However the Cali is the only option for every situation of touring .

Cali Noah pulls little Noah with great ease , even recorded 36m to gallon with careful motorway driving around 50 to 60 mph . It’s 30 odd mpg on country roads .

Even having massses of extra space ( gigantic storage under fixed bed ) we are still not organised as I want it and will have to work on it . I’ve got a plan though so I’m sure it’s going to be great , it wonderful being able to find things .

My conclusion so far is that Cali is doing fabulously well and will be our all round option still , little Eriba Noah is going to be a base camp with all supplies and stuff which we won’t have to cram into the Cali .the fixed bed is a dream as is the use of a real 19ltr toilet ....it’s also with around 300 kilo payload a great trailer .

If one is going away on longer trips and can get to the destination on ok roads and then park up the Eriba there, the Cali makes an ideal partner to go off to do the exploring , having lunch possibily staying over one night or so away from base.

We are all off to Venice tomorrow and I’ll keep this thread updated

Last edited:
Cali Noah pulls little Noah with great ease , even recorded 36m to gallon with careful motorway driving around 50 to 60 mph .

Thats the only thing that puts me off, french speed limit of 90kmh towing anything at all with the cali.

I think the perfect set up for 4 is an se/ocean + an eriba joined by an awning - space for 4 to spread out in the evenings + all the advantages of a cali for days out.

8C5264F7-C7A6-465C-BBE3-9B1013AD6FFB.jpeg B1F016F4-8662-4A90-91B0-8212044CBFD0.jpeg 8C5264F7-C7A6-465C-BBE3-9B1013AD6FFB.jpeg Now parked up in a camping in Lake Garda ...organised two Cali’s and the Eriba to make our own inner square in this busy camping ....

Back