Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Technical problems and/or solutions concerning the Grand California.

GrandCali600

GrandCali600

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Please use this thread to ask for help concerning technical problems that you encounter with the Grand California.
Please list vehicle details and question somehow in order, then it’s easier for all to ‘get the grnad picture’!
Example: A 600 - First reg. 2020 January - Step at sliding door - Step mechanism moves a little bit sometimes.

I have an CG600 and have encountered several technical issues big & small. Unfortunately the Portugees importing company SIVA in Lisboa is not taking no or little interest in the issues. I am preparing a letter to VW Headquaters in order to get answers. Please post your TECHNICAL issues below.
Please start with the next number in the row........ I started with No. 01 / 02 / .......

Last edited:
No. 01
GC600 - Thule step at sidedoor - a small movement of the mechanism which last less than a second.
At interval from hours to +-3<>4 minutes a small movement takes place and the step moves back and forward‘s a few millimeters. A relay ‘clicks’ under the right side of the dashboard.
It happens with the step in either position - in/out - with camping mode activated or not.
With time - 8 month now - the sound is louder.
I’m bought the GC600 in Portugal but got no help from SIVA the importer!! Next I will contact VW in Wolfsburg.
I emailed with Thule in Belgium and they stated that it long term will cause a problem with the mechanism / the teeth. They could not help me with a solution because they don’t know how the GC600 is wired.
There is several ways to send controlling power to the step.
1. Control panel.
2. Door switch.
3. Dashboard - select step stays in with door open.

Once I get answers from VW I will post them here.
Please let me know if your CG600 / ^*) has this problem.
Take a chair, sit next to the step with dfoor open, drink ‘something’, be quiet & wait.........

No. 02.
Control Panel software version.
How to se which version is installed.

There is a way - something like this - wipe from left to right at the top of the panel & then from the middle and down!!!
Different screen appears with various information!! One is the software version.
Apparently in order to update the software an USB stick is created at VW in Germany and send to the garage. Meaning the software is tailored to the options in “your” camper.

Please post if you know how to reach this hidden screen!!

No. 03.
Instruction books for the CG600 / 680.
The Portugees version has ‘4’ pages with no information of value.
The Danish version is ‘40’ pages with lots of information but not enough.

I am missing:
1. Electrical system information.
* Wiring diagram.
* Battery charging information 80% <> 100%. Charging of car battery. Which battery is charged first.
* Charging on 230VAC <> Solar panel charging.
* In short........ the in’s and out’s.
* Example: because the ’radio’ is wired to the car battery.
- Switches off every ‘15’ minutes / will I drain the battery?
- 12VDC plugs between the seats and in the dashboard comes of the Crafter battery.

No. 04.
Refrigiator corrosion.

The compressor behind the panel below ‘fridge’ was corroded after 3 month!! (Open the sliding door)
No answer ‘6’ month + from SIVA Lisboa.

No. 05.
Excessive vibration noise on “bumpy” roads from sidedoor / sidedoor area.
Well it might be normal for all I know = please feedback below.

VW has tried twice to fix it but still too much.
Fix 01: Apply new double tape! “Helped 30 km’s”
Fix 02: Add insulation behind panels.

Apprently as of week 3 in October 2019 more panel screws is being installed in the factory.
Please state ‘date of birth’ when replying.

No. 06.
Water system. Pump stops intermittenly after 10 <> 30 seconds of use.
Shower or kitchen, never had the problem with the outside shower. (or toilet - short useage.....)

1. Handle down and straight up and pump starts again......... sometimes.......
2. Open the other and sometimes pump starts.
=
there is no system - clear faults.

I talked to a GC600 owner & VW had replaced both watertaps.

Again wiring diagram would be handy! Especially when the warranty is gone!!

No. 06.
Warranty.
It is possible to buy extended warranty which covers the whole GC.

I Portugal I bought extended warranty. The earlier you buy the cheaper.
Within a week of delivery +-2300€ for 3 xtra years on the whole CG600 up to 200.000 km’s.

No. 07.
Straps holding the AFT bed upright.
The ‘locking loop’ is not tight enough.

The straps will slide to maximum length during driving.

Solution:
Straps which can’t be adjusted in the length.
Straps with a prober locking mechanism........

No. 08.
Cabinets over the bed.
Opens at ‘own will’ during driving.

Solutions concerning the hinges:
1. Adjustment. No information in instruction book!
2. Attach hinges proberly to cabinet...... yes!!
- I found that the hinges wasn’t installed proberly because the screws was only a few millimeters into the cabinet. Due to the hinge construction you feel resistance and ‘assumes’ that it’s tight but this is just resistance from the plastic and once pushed/turned more the screw goes in A LOT FURTHER....... During trouble shooting suddenly the door came completely off......

No. 09.
Cabinets in general.

The plastic ‘and/or rubber dots’ and spacers falls off.
Noticed first time before delivery when visiting the GC at SIVA the importing company’s holding area.

1. The double adhesive tape is no good.
2. The rubber pins is not clued in place = falls out!!

So more vibration noise during driving.

No. 10.
Switch in dashboard - Engine / battery.
What is the exact functionality??
No information in Crafter or California instruction book.......

Qualified quess is:
With engine running the camper battery is being charged.
1. With swicth on - Crafter start/stop system is not working.

Questions:
1. Will fuction stop when battry is charged? Charged to 80% or a 100%??
I write 80% because there is something about the battery life cycle is ‘one’ shorter every time battery is charged above 80%

No. 11.
Electrical problems.
Some fuctionality is not working from the control panel.

Turn the camper power off and on again at the main switch in the AFT left cabinet under the bed.

1. Camper mode is not working.
2. Panel doesn’t react to finger input.
3. Control of heating and/or water tremperature.
4. Control of step not possible.
5. Battery % status is erratic.

Last edited:
Worrying
Some of these I recognise. Control panel no longer controls step or internal lighting. The only way of getting step to retract at the moment is to switch the ignition on. I have a failed catch on the gas cupboard door and one of the overhead locker door falls open every time I drive the van. The bed strap isnt positioned to hols the bed in the up position without winding it around one of the bed struts (a simple design fault).. I posted a thread some weeks ago about the sat tv system. I discovered that the cabling had been very inexpertly connected and was able to sort myself but it leaves me wondering about overall Quality Control in the manufacture of these premium vans. As for the manuals.. they are a complete joke. As you point out nothing remotely technical...just page after page of precautionary principle warnings of the "if you hold the mains cable you might die" type, presumably mandated by the vw legal division. All a bit disappointing!

Hola,
tengo una 680 desde hace 2 meses, de acuerdo en muchos puntos, manuales totalmente inadecuados, basta pensar a como configurar la primera vez el router, seguia sin conectarse a internet y he tenido que sacar el panel inferior del asiento del acompañante para desenchufarlo, como se hace un casa, ahora aparentemente va bien, impreparados en Vw para resolver varias pequeñas problematicas que surgen ( por el momento )

Wow this is worrying, my GC 600 is on order from factory (5 months still to wait). I just hope the delays in factory build are related to these issues being resolved!

As disappointing as it seems, are you guys happy overall or do you regret buying? In the UK when you buy a new house, you find lots of problems (snags) that need fixing, I guess it’s similar when you buy a mobile home too!

No.10
My understanding is this button is used to increase the engine revolutions to charge the battery faster when you turn the ignition on and you are stationary. I think the battery charger is the same as you would find in a standard T6 or Crafter with the additional auxiliary battery. So my guess is it won’t be “smart” and monitor voltage etc.

If you guys think the manuals are poor, try buying a motorhome from elsewhere. You normally get a manual for the base vehicle from the manufacturer & then if you are lucky a booklet from the relevant manufacturer for each of the fridge, hob and if you are lucky the control panel.

@Mike5265..happy?...think so, it should work well when we can actually get out and and about. I am slightly concerned about QC and what this means for maintenance and reliability over the duration of the warranty. I attach a photo of the sat tv connector to the sat dish controller. As you can see it was jammed in incorrectly, would never have worked and a simple test before delivery (presumably not carried out or result ignored) would have detected problem. I fear something similar with control panel failures which my VW dealer has seen on another van...and @Lucas_ Golen refers to above. @andyinluton..yup thats about it for the GC!

68879-3dc55efb1682d8f21c0fc5a8febf97fe.jpg

I have had mine since mid July and covered 3500 miles and really only had 3 issues.
1 warped loo door
2 incorrectly wired antenna to the WiFi router
3 sliding door would not latch back to stay open.

These were all put right in between my travels around the country in between lockdown.

Before purchasing i looked at other equivalent brands and models and came to the conclusion, that there is no better base unit ie the Crafter. The internal finishes surpass others I looked at as they looked light weight caravan finishes, sure you know what I mean.

The only brand that came close was Westfalia which was a real consideration, however the wait for one was to long. Burstner have just updated there’s and looks great based on the updated Ducato

Am I happy yes just wished VW made a GC in a 630/40.

With that I have a 680 on order due in late March

Re instructions as I have said before they are crap. Would like more information upon the control panel. All other is easy to work out after a time or ask friendly people on here.

I love it.

Hi there a bit late to this thread, but we have had the following issues. We have 3x GC 600.
#1.
Fridge fault light flashes 6 times and fridge doesn't function, took it to VW dealers in Lisbon. They pulled the fuse out put it back in and told us it was ok. Back out with client and same problem arises. Our technician pinpoints the problem to the fridge thermostat faulty. Not sure we can do without the vehicle for so long as nobody at the see vW centres know anything about Californias.
Gas hot water system goes into fault mode when you turn the gas taps off under the sink. VW had this for 2 months and couldn't resolve the problem. We worked out that the system doesn't like being turned off from the taps it creates an airlock in the system. You have to get to the actual hot water cylinder under the seats to reset there. There is also a reset on the. truma control panel that can sometimes give good results.
The control panel freaks out occasionally and hangs. we have to kill the main power with the big red 12v kill switch under the rear bed. the panel also freezes if the battery is left low. When not using the van you have to turn the main power switch off as there are a lot of components that pull power on these vans.
glass lids on the cooker. We have had 2 of these shatter on their own, they don't like the cold air hitting one side of the glass lid when it's up and the door open. This is a problem with this particular Dometic cooker as we have the same problem with other conversions we have made with that series Dometic cooker. All other dometic cookers seem fine. We now stock a box of spare lids. VW Portugal changed a whole cooker as they couldn't find the lid, they said this was a goodwill gesture and they will not change any further broken lids. Thanks, VW.
van was delivered to us with the cupboard door hanging down. The locks are such flimsy plastic. VW couldn't sell us a lock or catch only the whole door. Thanks, VW so generous.
Broken corner section of the rear cupboard, this was changed by VW.
The dealer network here is not equipped to deal with these motorhomes and 9 times out of 10 we end up fixing these issues ourselves in our own workshop as we cannot wait for VW to try and resolve them. We have to get them out for rent to pay for them rather than have them sit at the dealers. If you need any help while in Portugal with your Calis. I can assure you we know more than VW.

Guess these are issues that will be sorted with new editions...frustrating that VW are not being helpful with early adopters...customers who after all are getting the model on the streets.
Ps I'm having same problem with overhead locker doors dropping open. I plan to install magnet catches to supplement the rather flimsey factory installed catches

Guess these are issues that will be sorted with new editions...frustrating that VW are not being helpful with early adopters...customers who after all are getting the model on the streets.
Ps I'm having same problem with overhead locker doors dropping open. I plan to install magnet catches to supplement the rather flimsey factory installed catches
I’ve recently changed from July 2020 GC 600 to March 2021 680 they have made changes for the better
Better ride, much much less crashing must be down to suspension or the change in tyres. I replaced the continentals with the Michelin all season tyres.
The side panel carcasing in the cabin area is thicker and better fitting
The sliding door does not vibrate and cause noise
The sliding door much easier to close, not slam
Heating in the fresh water tank cupboard

Haven’t been anywhere yet as only collected Friday night. The ride was very noticeable. Supple but firm.

So far so good.

#7 sliding door wouldn't hold back on 2 vans, We managed to adjust the catch ourselves on this.

Drove down to Cornwall today but stopped off overnight outside Bridgwater as a half way house.

Minus 1 last night and you’ll guess, the water dump got me again, so no shower, washing up etc. Other half doesn’t like a warm van to sleep in but with the forecast for tonight being plus 3, the van is set to 18C.

2 other things, the first obvious with hindsight:

1. After the water dump and refilling the fresh water tank, run the hot top until it gets rid of all the air before setting the hot water temp, otherwise there’s no water for the boiler to heat. Fix is reset everything via the electrical isolator and then initialise the Truma control in the boiler cupboard.

2. We arrived last night at 19.15, 100% leisure battery, completely drained by 4am, when nature called. Fridge on, lights used, diesel heating NOT used, and we watched a DVD on a 12v tv. Not impressive. It was minus 1 and the battery is under the bonnet but still.

Off for a paddle in the Atlantic on 3 mile beach.

Hi Ian, re water dumping if you set the water to stay on all night without the heating or on low, that should be enough to stop the boiler dumping, also if your not aware you can select night mode on the fridge thus not coming on as much.

Last edited:
If the dump valve is the usual trauma one just put a clothes peg on it to stop it poping, just make sure that you are happy that its not going to get cold enough to freeze the water system.
Don't forget to take the peg off again when you've finished your trip.

1-year-old battery not holding charge. Van was left a couple of times in the depot without the main 12v kill switch off. The AGM battery doesn't like being completely discharged. I find it strange how a van of this size running so many auxiliaries doesn't have another leisure battery.

Worked out the problem with the 5 blinking lights on the fridge. The error code pointed to a dodgy thermostat. We traced this to the actual thermostat probe in the back of the freezer compartment. If it touches the metal of the freezer it sends it into fault mode. We managed to remove it and insulate it better, This resolved the situation for now. We also had the fridge draw runners break and can you believe VW changed the whole fridge for the sake of a broken drawer runner.

Yesterday we filled our water tank for the very first time on our January 2021 delivered GC680 only to realize it the evening that its leaking water in the toilet.

The shower head or the sink drain must no be installed correctly, so the water is leaking inside the cabinet in the toilet. And from inside the cabinet the water has leaked between the floor and car body.

Today morning we took the car back to the dealership and its now in their garage "drying" and they'll start to figure out on monday what to do with it. We got a loan caddy to drive with.

We have no idea how long or how much water has leaked so there is no telling how much water there. So there seems to be absolute zero quality control at the factory when thay are building these.

Gotta see what the outcome with this will be. Not wanting a moldy camper.

I'd like to see VW ( self assessment) end of term report on the GC!
Should it be finnished off in Germany?
What mark should VW give itself?
How long before they iron everything out,18 months?
Will they scrap the GC concept?

Here is a list for VW to work on.
On board Lithium Ion batteries/Smaller fold away table/3 bed using passenger rear seats and front passenger./Ditch the MDF aircraft lockers,dumping weight and making shure they shut properly/Insulated water tanks that don't dump the contents at the sign of a chill.
A plusher more refined cabin befitting 90k not a Mk 1 Golf

Yesterday we filled our water tank for the very first time on our January 2021 delivered GC680 only to realize it the evening that its leaking water in the toilet.

The shower head or the sink drain must no be installed correctly, so the water is leaking inside the cabinet in the toilet. And from inside the cabinet the water has leaked between the floor and car body.

Today morning we took the car back to the dealership and its now in their garage "drying" and they'll start to figure out on monday what to do with it. We got a loan caddy to drive with.

We have no idea how long or how much water has leaked so there is no telling how much water there. So there seems to be absolute zero quality control at the factory when thay are building these.

Gotta see what the outcome with this will be. Not wanting a moldy camper.

Replying to myself.

Reason for the leaking taps has been solved. Factory has left water in the system and as the van was delivered to Finland at winter with -20 celsius outside atleast the toilet tap and outdoor shower "tap" have frozen and are now broken. Service will check if the kitchen tap is garbage also. Spareparts are taking weeks to arrive.

Problems so far:

* Automatic toilet light living its own life -> Service fixed this by removing the movement detector and replaced by normal switch.

* Two leaking taps -> Not fixed yet, several weeks for spares to arrive

* Diesel heating shuts off on its own and complains that battery is empty even though there is 80% of juice left -> Not fixed

* Electric step lives its own life, doesn't always work when side door is opened or closed. -> Not fixed, service has no idea when spareparts are available

* Parts of the Control panel stops working and only some of the features work thought the touch screen. -> Not fixed, "rebooting" the camper section from the mains switch fixes this for a while.

Not pleased at all for this purchase.

Replying to myself.

Reason for the leaking taps has been solved. Factory has left water in the system and as the van was delivered to Finland at winter with -20 celsius outside atleast the toilet tap and outdoor shower "tap" have frozen and are now broken. Service will check if the kitchen tap is garbage also. Spareparts are taking weeks to arrive.

Problems so far:

* Automatic toilet light living its own life -> Service fixed this by removing the movement detector and replaced by normal switch.

* Two leaking taps -> Not fixed yet, several weeks for spares to arrive

* Diesel heating shuts off on its own and complains that battery is empty even though there is 80% of juice left -> Not fixed

* Electric step lives its own life, doesn't always work when side door is opened or closed. -> Not fixed, service has no idea when spareparts are available

* Parts of the Control panel stops working and only some of the features work thought the touch screen. -> Not fixed, "rebooting" the camper section from the mains switch fixes this for a while.

Not pleased at all for this purchase.
Satuja sorry to hear about your issues. I might be thinking about rejecting it if you are within the time frame. The lead time for a GC is not as long as a Cali.

I also have an issue with the step, apparently on back order, it has a mind of its own opens and closes at will, will not close unless you give it a nudge.

Stick with a 680 its a great van.

Will

My van is apparently now built and goes in to QC today. Sounds like it won’t be in there long if the stories above are anything to go by so it might arrive sooner than I expected

Seriously, would be good to get updates on how folks get on with the various fixes. I had quite a few quality issues with my Cali SE and VW van centres were not always that clued up on how to fix.

My van is apparently now built and goes in to QC today. Sounds like it won’t be in there long if the stories above are anything to go by so it might arrive sooner than I expected

Seriously, would be good to get updates on how folks get on with the various fixes. I had quite a few quality issues with my Cali SE and VW van centres were not always that clued up on how to fix.
The only fix I need is the step. Has a mind of its own.
I believe Vw have made some behind the scenes improvements, fridge for one more sturdy and closing easier. Sliding door no more slamming, thicker side panelling.
Will

Back