Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Telescopic ladder

Ordered and being delivered Wednesday. California off for first MOT on Thursday.

Thats not long enough to use on the outside, you need the 2 metre ones for that :thumb Will be perfect for the inside.

IE if loading something onto the roof rack the 2m one sits perfectly on the awning rail

It is really only for us to use in our old age, to go to bed upstairs. I can manage to put on the Vanorak without the need to climb, and we don't carry things on the roof, having the VW bike rack, but a good point for others who do!

We have just bought a 2.3m telescopic ladder from B & Q - £50, but we feel it is a bit cumbersome and wondered if there was a smaller alternative. Anyone got any experience with this ladder?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telescopi...G_Ladders_RL&hash=item3371fc17ed#ht_698wt_922

This is the cheapest I've seen these ladders for sale. We use them in our rental California's for accessing the roof bed and also the roof rack. They are perfect for the job, lightweight and small. :thumb
I have also been looking for a more elegant method to access the upstairs in our Cali and have found this ladder. It appears to be purpose built for the Cali and is available from Maxxcamp. It is expensive but is the best thing I have seen so far.image.jpgimage.jpg

I have also been looking for a more elegant method to access the upstairs in our Cali and have found this ladder. It appears to be purpose built for the Cali and is available from Maxxcamp. It is expensive but is the best thing I have seen so far.View attachment 9859View attachment 9860
Nice bit of kit but at that price think I'll continue with my drunken acrobatics for a bit longer o_O

They have reduced the price of the maxxcamp ladder to a very "reasonable" £158 delivered. I have just swallowed my pride, raided the kids piggy bank and bought one!

Thanks for the info.
Do you know if the rear headrests can be locked down with this in place?

Would be interested to hear how it is when you get it @Cwoods1405 Also, if you don't mind me asking, what was the delivery cost? I assume you ordered direct from Germany.

It was €203 which was £158 when converted. That included delivery. Not sure about the head rest issue as I plan to find somewhere to keep it instead of putting it in a clamp on the back of the seats as per their website. I have seen one and it looked excellent quality and of course purpose built! I will let you know how it get on with it. I am strangely excited about it! Must be my age!!! Oh and they are reduced from €220 to€180 which is why I went ahead and bought it

I have just had my folding ladder delivered and I am very pleased! My vertically challenged spouse even more so! The ladder will fit with the seats facing forward or back. If facing forward you need to have the seats in the fully forward position. It seems quite well made and is very light! I have attached some photos to try and give you an idea what it looks like. The delivery was very quick and it was well packed.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi cwoods

Thanks for the pics.

Have you managed to attach to the back of the rear seat yet?

I imagine you could have the headrests down with the ladder in place. I have decided not to mount it on the back of the seat because the seat covers fit over the void the ladder sits in and you also need to drill holes in the plastic trim to fit the strap. To be honest it's not that big so easy to find somewhere to put it.

Does it fit between the seats when they are rear facing? I have to have the seats quite far back to get the kids seats in the footwells. The Maxxcamp photo is a bit deceiving as the seat base is wider than the seat shoulder.

Struggling to find a good solution to getting into the roof with the safety net in place. I sleep up top with my 3 year old whilst my wife has our 1 year old downstairs.

I am not entirely sure I know what you mean Quinnster77. Do you mean that the front seats are turned rearward and also as far away from the steering wheel as possible? If so I will give it a go on the weekend and let you know. The ladder does fit with the seats forward or back but if they are forward then they need to be as far forward as they can go if that makes sense

I am not entirely sure I know what you mean Quinnster77. Do you mean that the front seats are turned rearward and also as far away from the steering wheel as possible? If so I will give it a go on the weekend and let you know. The ladder does fit with the seats forward or back but if they are forward then they need to be as far forward as they can go if that makes sense

Sorry. Yes that's what I meant. They're turned and further away from the steering wheel.

A picture with the ladder between the seats in this position would be awesome.

With the seats rear facing I think the best I could do was with them about half way to accommodate the ladder. Took some photos but internet not great here to upload. Whilst trying things out I wondered if when you turn in for the night you could put the child seats on the front seats. As you are using the ladder you don't need to stand on the seats to get into the top bed? Other than that if you are passing through the Somerset (Bath) area you are welcome to try before you buy. It's a lot of money to spend and not be happy with!!

Reactions: wyn
With the seats rear facing I think the best I could do was with them about half way to accommodate the ladder. Took some photos but internet not great here to upload. Whilst trying things out I wondered if when you turn in for the night you could put the child seats on the front seats. As you are using the ladder you don't need to stand on the seats to get into the top bed? Other than that if you are passing through the Somerset (Bath) area you are welcome to try before you buy. It's a lot of money to spend and not be happy with!!

Thanks for trying. I think it'll be quite a lot of hassle to wrestle the seats back out from the footwells. I might try to figure out something to put on the seat to give me a bit of a leg up over the safety net. It's only for another year maybe, then both kids will be up top & no more problem. Thanks for the offer.

I have a telescopic ladder that works perfectly with the seats forward or swivelled. It's not light weight but if you extend the first two rungs it fits perfectly in the gap between the passenger seat (RH drive) and sink in an Ocean. I usually use a foot on the seat and one rung of the ladder and that's it. It doesn't extend over the top of the bed so is not awkward.
If you're interested I can check out the supplier (I paid around £50 on amazon) and post some pics.

Back