Temp guage calibration

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
T4isti,

Temp guage positions. Normally in the UK mine rarely leaves the 7oclock pisition. Occasionally it will stray up to 9 o'clock.

In Europe mid summer it will sit st 9 o'clock all day long at V max on the motorway.

I've never really been confident on pushing it.
Yesterday climbing out of Grenoble up an Alp it climbed to the 10 o'clock position! Load was high, fwd velocity low so worst case scenario really.

I tried to keep the rpm up to max water pump speed.
We held our nerve, it stabilised and
Sat just below 10 o'clock.

The engine is high mileage but mint so it's entitled to warm up a tad under load.

Any comparisons?

Pod. Currently sipping Martini on La Cote D'azur.

Mine has always sat at 70c on normal running. Which is round about the 7 o'clock mark. I don't believe the coolant is at 70c because my infra-red thermometer shows everything around 90c, which is what I would expect. The fans are kicking in (I forget the temps, 87c for high power maybe?) and the thermostat is open (high 70s?). being really early, mine has a smaller rad, so I get the fans more.

This is with Gen-you-wine VW sender just fitted. Next stop is to take the dash out and resolder the voltage regulators behind there.

Mine warms up under load, but like yours stabilises, so I don't worry about it. Just check the vanes on the rad open like they should - the wax switch seizes sometimes.

Last edited:
Dan,

Any idea at what temp the vanes should switch?

The temp light on the dash, is that a high "she's gonna blow" level?

P.

Dan,

Any idea at what temp the vanes should switch?

The temp light on the dash, is that a high "she's gonna blow" level?

P.

No idea. think they will open on a warm day, so not that high.

Thought the dash light was a coolant level indicator rather than temperature? At least, that's how I set mine off :)

Back