Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Temporary Redundant California

altvic

altvic

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Perhaps a timely reminder for many of us making our campervans temporarily redundant on roadside, driveway or garage. Don't forget to hook up to an electric point every month for 24 hours to prevent deterioration of the batteries (I have read that some folk do this every two weeks).
Also run the accommodation diesel blow heater for 30 ish minutes every month.
Tyre deterioration can also occur if the heavy California is left static for long periods; I move mine several meters regularly for the tyres to rest on different spots. @WelshGas suggested overinflation (10psi?) can help and easy to reduce pressure when Campervan is used - but don't forget to deflate before use (attached note to steering wheel reminds me)

All excellent advice, I'm sure others can add other things. Eg, leave the handbrake off if you can to prevent the brakes binding on. In any case the discs will get some surface rust and will graunch a bit when you first move the vehicle, but despite the horrible noise it's not a big deal provided the rusting is superficial. Obviously it's good to be able to run the vehicle and move it occasionally if you can.

But while it's good to do all these things, don't stress about it too much. I've often had to store up various vehicles for months at a time and they don't come to too much harm even if you can't do any preventative maintenance.

good advice, thanks! (i'm fitting solar panels because i can't get my van very near my house to charge it....)

Can anyone tell me what you are supposed to do with the water system? Should i have some in the system, and if so, with something in with it??

Can anyone tell me what you are supposed to do with the water system? Should i have some in the system, and if so, with something in with it??

I'm sure if you just drain the water tank down it will be fine. Open the drain valve and then run the tap until it's dry to get the water out of the pipes. That's all I do with mine over winter.

(I assume you didn't mean the vehicle radiator, but in case you did... that should be kept full with antifreeze as normal, which acts as a rust inhibitor).

Don't forget to hook up to an electric point every month for 24 hours to prevent deterioration of the batteries (I have read that some folk do this every two weeks).

Any thoughts on leaving it permanently plugged in? I’m ‘lucky’ enough to to be able to do that easily, and reduces the likelihood of me forgetting to do it (or to unplug it after 24 hrs).

I’ve only just had two brand new leisure batteries installed under warranty, so don’t want to damage them through discharge or ‘overcharging’ before they’ve had any use.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please could someone direct me to an idiots guide of how to connect a trickle charger. I am also in a position of having new leisure batteries which I want to protect.

Thanks in advance, M

Any thoughts on leaving it permanently plugged in? I’m ‘lucky’ enough to to be able to do that easily, and reduces the likelihood of me forgetting to do it (or to unplug it after 24 hrs).

I’ve only just had two brand new leisure batteries installed under warranty, so don’t want to damage them through discharge or ‘overcharging’ before they’ve had any use.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mines on hookup all the time while It’s on the drive. So far no problems

Please could someone direct me to an idiots guide of how to connect a trickle charger. I am also in a position of having new leisure batteries which I want to protect.

Thanks in advance, M
Just connect the mains hookup and you will be trickle charging the leisure batteries.

So I need a new cable? The only cable i have is the one you use at a campsite...

It should do no harm because everything should be working out well if you stay on hookup on holidays for 14 days or more.
If the charger is manufactured well, they keep the batteries in mint condition, otherwise your batteries would run flat or be overcharged.
Mine's on hookup now for 1 week, and so far so good.

I've wired up the lead and connected it, but the control panel is flashing an alternate G or plug symbol whether the lead is connected or not. I think it may well have been doing this before I connected the lead. I think this is an error message.

Also when the lead is connected its showing negative amps which surely can't be right?20200328_100400.jpg20200328_095825.jpg

I did some research on this site and reset the control panel which seems to have fixed the error message. The display is still showing negative amps though. I'm confused....15853917010427930441420089911875.jpg

Back