Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tensioning Wind Out Awning

willwander

willwander

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Anyone have any tips on how to tension the canvas of the awning when it’s not fully extended?

If I put it out full length, I can tension using the normal method, but I rarely put it out the full length, often just a meter of so, it’s more difficult to get the canvas taut and it flaps about a bit in the wind.

Tie it down and pull it back in a bit .
Thats the only way to get it tight , need to fixed on two sides or no tention , no rocket science imo.

Yeah, been try to avoid tie downs, just another thing for the dog leads to get tangled around.

Place a wooden 1m rod between the front and back of the awning and tension against the resistance of the rod.

Place a wooden 1m rod between the front and back of the awning and tension against the resistance of the rod.
Could bend the Awning Case.

Just approved this advert

I might try making some foam spacers that would sit on the extending arms, (using this kitchen roll as a temp measure), it’s just to give it a bit of tension and stop the ‘flap’ noise Of the canvas hitting the arms when you get a gust of wind.
A8F63F86-A71B-46DE-B185-25D4C33ECB40.jpeg

I use 2 tent poles, extractable, to put between the case on the van, and the front of the case.

Open the awning, place the tent poles on the desired length, rewind the awning so it blocks on the tent poles, but tightens the awning.

I might try making some foam spacers that would sit on the extending arms, (using this kitchen roll as a temp measure), it’s just to give it a bit of tension and stop the ‘flap’ noise Of the canvas hitting the arms when you get a gust of wind.
View attachment 65228
So when you say making foam spacers, you mean 2 short lengths of foam pipe insulation - no weight and handy to stop rattles in cupboards anyway.

So when you say making foam spacers, you mean 2 short lengths of foam pipe insulation - no weight and handy to stop rattles in cupboards anyway.
Yes, I think foam pipe insulation would be good :thumb

Would an adjustable shower curtain tension rod do the job?

Wouldn't it be easier/quicker just to bang in 2 pegs and guy ropes. I presume you peg the bottom of the poles?

Wouldn't it be easier/quicker just to bang in 2 pegs and guy ropes. I presume you peg the bottom of the poles?
yes I always peg bottom of poles, I was hoping to avoid using guy ropes (i.e. tie down kit), as we often have two dogs tied to a stake in the ground outside, the dogs wander around and their leads get tangled around everything. Plus it's less of a trip hazard. Bit of foam looks like it will work.

Does this really bother you? Why don’t you wind it out further if you say that sorts the tension? Seems easier than all the other fixes.
I don’t even hammer in pegs. Never have in 11yrs. Awning seems fine.
We once had a tent pitched on the cliff edge at 3 Cliffs Bay blow away. Someone explained to me later that if something is pitched really taut it’s more likely to suddenly take off or tear. They said it was best to leave a bit of give for the wind rather than try and beat the wind.
I just know someone, possibly ex Scouts or SAS, is now going to tell me that’s tripe!?

yes I always peg bottom of poles, I was hoping to avoid using guy ropes (i.e. tie down kit), as we often have two dogs tied to a stake in the ground outside, the dogs wander around and their leads get tangled around everything. Plus it's less of a trip hazard. Bit of foam looks like it will work.
We only have one dog and when he gets tangled it looks like a trip wire obstacle in an Indiano Jones or Bond movie. It's akin to the wool in a witches knitting bag (from an old Romney Marsh saying about the roads there).

Does this really bother you? Why don’t you wind it out further if you say that sorts the tension? Seems easier than all the other fixes.
I don’t even hammer in pegs. Never have in 11yrs. Awning seems fine.
We once had a tent pitched on the cliff edge at 3 Cliffs Bay blow away. Someone explained to me later that if something is pitched really taut it’s more likely to suddenly take off or tear. They said it was best to leave a bit of give for the wind rather than try and beat the wind.
I just know someone, possibly ex Scouts or SAS, is now going to tell me that’s tripe!?
That’s a new one.

That’s a new one.
I shouldn’t invalidate someone else’s pain. Unforgivable I know. Those solutions seemed incredibly complex. I’ve never pegged ours down. I do put it away at nighttime but everyone does that, right??

I shouldn’t invalidate someone else’s pain. Unforgivable I know. Those solutions seemed incredibly complex. I’ve never pegged ours down. I do put it away at nighttime but everyone does that, right??
No. Rarely put it in at night unless serious weather expected.

I don’t put it in either, but I do check the weather forecast. It is usually pegged down with the Thule strap kit , which includes a spring each strap to allow the awning to give in a bit to the wind, preventing the peg to become slowly loose