Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Test Drive Later Today

N

Nick Swan

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi all,

The missus and myself are going for a test drive in a couple of new California's this afternoon.
We hired a T2 last year so have tried the whole campervan experience before.
We are happy to buy a T5 rather than wait for the T6 as we want to make use of it this summer.

I went in earlier in the week and took one out and very much liked it. Just the missus to show now, although she seems convinced just from the brochure.

The salesperson has given me the whole talk about lack of T5 vans, huge demand, people buying over phone unseen etc etc.
These are the 2 vans he has sent over for us to checkout today:

California SE 180 sand beige DSG
Price £55989
Black awning
17" Timaru alloys
Travel pack
Towbar
Comfort mattress
One single folding rear seat
Mud flaps
Reversing camera front and rear sensors

California SE 180 4motion
Natural grey
Price £61125
Black awning
Sliding door electric
17" Cascavel alloys
Travel pack
Comfort mattress
One single rear seat
Mud flaps
Towbar
Diff lock
Reverse camera
Muti function display premium

I guess my main question is - has anyone who has recently bought a new T5 managed to wangle much of a discount? I'm drawn to the 4motion, although £60k plus is a big sum of money! A bit of a discount would at least make me feel like I am getting a deal hahahahaha

Thanks
Nick

ps really love the forums. Spent all night reading through historical posts.

Hi Nick and welcome.

I would haggle quite a bit! What he says was true a few months ago but things have calmed down now due to the T6 dates being released and also we are over half way through the summer.

Both the examples look like they are list price or maybe over, so I would be pushing for at least 10%

Have you not considered a used Cali? Get something with some warranty foe piece of mind and you will save thousands

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Martin,

Certainly have considered used, although I haven't seen many available through dealers with a warranty.

I am hoping to go see a used one on Saturday:

2010, 140 manual, 32k miles. £34k

I've very mechanically challenged, so the thinking behind getting a new one is it will all work great or at least have a nice warranty with it.

I'm certainly going to mention to the dealer the used option to try and haggle. My head says get used, my heart says get new! :)

Thanks
Nick

Welcome, beware that once you did the test drive chances are 99,99...% you end up buying!

Try to go for the 4 motion at the price of the non 4 motion... give it a go!

Hello Welcome.
If you are planning on a longer term relationship with a camper van I would go for as new as possible.

so the thinking behind getting a new one is it will all work great or at least have a nice warranty with it.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the warranty for a recent used... the remainder of the 3 year warranty comes with it... but things can get expensive once you're out of warranty if things start to go wrong.

That being said, we're well into 6 years of ownership and more than happy.

Enjoy and have fun... great times ahead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side point, I'm astounded at the new prices of things... Over £60k is incredible (Literally!!!) That's 50% more than a fully loaded one from just a few years ago. I know they have a few more options but none that really affect the usability... just nice to haves.

Stunned every time I see these prices quoted... Is it just me...?

But then again... that doesn't hurt the residuals of older vehicles ;)

Anyway... welcome on board.

Rgds
Mark

I concur with Mark, re new prices from what I paid in 2012.

Hi
Agree with Martin. Definite deals to be had.
We got 10% off the list on new 180 DSG with extras.
Decided to wait for personal reasons.
Happy hunting.
So excited about joining the VW Cali family in the future.

Agree on the deals... There should be something to be had. If not, then wait as you should quickly be able to get a 8 to 9% discount which gives you over £5k on a £60k vehicle... which is a lot of weekend rentals in the waiting period :)

And on the price thing... when I also factor in an exchange rate of 1.06 in 2009 against an exchange rate now of 1.42... Which is another 30%+ improvement!!!

Just done the maths... so like for like-ish (Save a few goodies) is more than 100% more expensive taking into account exchange rate variation if buying in the UK!!!! eeek!!!!

Almost wish I hadn't done that... ;(

- But of course I know price is market driven not exchange rate driven... to our eternal frustration ;)

I share your astonishment at the prices being asked. But then £60k gets you 2 bed house not too far from me.

The growth in list prices must be a massive factor in the unbelievable residuals currently enjoyed by Calis. I suppose we should hope it continues......but can it?

Well the good news is the missus loves California's. The bad news is the dealer all but said no to 10% off the list price. The 180 4Motion has a few optional extras we wouldn't choose (like electric side door), and I don't want to pay £60k for a Van that isn't the spec I want. Plus I was 50/50 about the colour.

So it seems we are going with a used van.

Just called up about a van that went on Autotrader a couple of days ago and it is sold. The seller said he could have sold it 20 times over! So it seems you have to move quick - time of year etc

I have just called about another used van and we are going to see it tomorrow. Is posting a link to Autotrader allowed on the forums?

Thanks
Nick

Go for it Nick, let's see what you are going to look at?

Nice looking van Nick, when was it registered ? is there any manufacturer warranty remaining ?

It was first registered in Jan 2012. VW warranty expired in January, had an end of warranty inspection and MOT with VW in Jan. 500 miles apparently since then.

Thanks
Nick

Nice van... Not too bad a price for the mileage and 4 motion.

Always liked the white with black graphics.

Just need to check for the usual problems and make sure they are registered etc and also see what other warranty the dealer will offer.

Prices are trully amazing, that is the same price that would of been brand new back in 2012 (based on 10% discount)

Someone has has free motoring virtually for three years

Just need to check for the usual problems and make sure they are registered etc and also see what other warranty the dealer will offer.

Is there a list somewhere of the usual problems? I've just become VIP and downloaded the used checklist - anything else to refer to?

Thanks
Nick

You need to check to see if its been registered for the roof corrosion repair. Check the control panel works the fridge,roof& heater also check the canvas for damage.

anything you are not sure about, post on this thread and I am sure someone will reply within half an hour.. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Registering for the roof corrosion repair - can that be done by me if I buy the vehicle and it hasn't been done already?

Thanks
Nick

Yes it can you will need to get it inspected by VW once approved you will be put on a very very long list for the repair. Plenty of info on roof corrosion on here. Dont be put off it will get done. Good luck.

Hi everyone,

We bought the White 180 4Motion in the Autotrader link I shared. Paid the asking price (after trying for a discount! :)). It is in really good condition and from experience of ringing up other used cali's that had already sold it would have gone for the full price quickly if we hadn't snapped it up.

Now to start buying all the camping accessories like plates, cutlery, etc - is there a suggested list of things to buy once you have your van? :)

Thanks everyone for your help - it has been reassuring to have people to ask questions knowing you will get a quick answer.

Nick

Hi and welcome from Switzerland! Great you found a Cali you both like!
I'm also new to California and so on however my personal fav accessories is my calitop/cover. there are of course more things and my better half just shouted: all the foldeble plates&bowls

Best stick a picture back up. I saw it but the dealer has taken it off autotrader so the link is broken.

Back