Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tether points for child seat in T5

B

Becky Smith

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
hi, would any one know if there are any tether points for a child’s seat in the t5? I’ve found that there are in the t6 but cant see any in my t5. My daughter is too heavy for the isofix base now but as she’s two she’s too young for a seat with a seatbelt and still needs a harness, but can only use a harness the seat if it’s tethered (I’ve done a lot of research on this!). So we’re scuppered if we can’t tether!

Hi Becky. I have a T5.1 and I regularly use an Isofix base for carrying one of my grandchildren in his kiddies seat. It is awkward to fit but if you put your fingers into the gap between the vehicle seat back and seat squab you will feel the small horizontal fixings which the arms of the seat base lock onto. Having found where they are you next need to align the arms of the seat base with the fixing points and push the seat base back to engage. At the same time you must tip the seat up at the front so that the jaws of the arms go in at an angle and can locate the fixing points. I also recline the vehicle seat back by one notch otherwise our kiddie seat doesn’t lock into place. Who knew something so simple could be so complicated!! Good luck. Hope that helps.

Thank you for reply unfortunately my daughter is too heavy now for the isofix fitting (max 18kg) so for the seat I need (to be able to keep her in a 5 point harness for another year as she’s only 2), I need to tether the seat onto the anchors which someone has told me are right at the bottom of the seat at the back near the floor, so I’ll be looking for those tomorrow and fingers crossed I’ll find them! Car seat fitting is complicated!

Sorry. I’ve misunderstood. I thought you meant tethering using the Isofix points (if that’s possible). We moved our older grandchildren from the Isofix system as they got bigger and heavier, to a bolster cushion which is secured by the three point normal seatbelt. Good luck getting it sorted.

I think you may need a new seat. My kids where in a rear facing until about 4years old which has iso fix. It also rotated and tilted, think it's a britax. Not sure but I think the law is that they rear face until 4 now, then height before out of a child car seat.

I think you may need a new seat. My kids where in a rear facing until about 4years old which has iso fix. It also rotated and tilted, think it's a britax. Not sure but I think the law is that they rear face until 4 now, then height before out of a child car seat.
Incorrect I’m afraid. Upto 15 months rear facing seat only.
https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules

Agree, then you have the option of switching to front facing after 15 months although on balance I think rear facing is a safer option especially in the event of a frontal collision, heaven forbid. Child seats can be chosen on the basis of height or weight I believe. Gov.uk has the various categories. https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules

Sorry thought it had changed here about the age. I'm sure in some Scandinavian countries it's compulsory until 4, which I think is good for safety.
The problem with these seats is the size. If you are tall you end up being squashed in the front to make room for it. I know it not going to be a problem in the cali.
I know on our 13 plate beach there's no tethering points and certainly not on our previous 60 plate Se.

Sorry thought it had changed here about the age. I'm sure in some Scandinavian countries it's compulsory until 4, which I think is good for safety.
The problem with these seats is the size. If you are tall you end up being squashed in the front to make room for it. I know it not going to be a problem in the cali.
I know on our 13 plate beach there's no tethering points and certainly not on our previous 60 plate Se.
The Isofix was present on the California from at least 2008 as this thread explains.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/isofix-and-car-seats.5107/

As far as I am aware there are no alternate approved tethering points on the floor in a T5 Cali SE.

It theory you could add some tie down loops to the floor rails but I doubt these will meet the current safety regulations.

The only provision is to either use the Isofix system or the existing lap and diagonal seat belts.

We have a rear facing Britax seat for the 6 month old granddaughter and a forward facing Britax Roma Evolva seat for the 3 1/2 year old granddaughter/4 1/2 year old grandson. The older ones are now well over 15Kg which is the lower weight limit. This seat uses the lap and diagonal as the seat restraint, has its own 5 point harness and is Group 2-3.

Although ideal now, come the time, we can tuck the harness away, or remove it completely from the seat, and just use the van lap and diagonal with this seat. The down side of this is the lap and diagonal will have to be in use all the time when the seat is in the van as it becomes loose when the kids are not in it.

We looked into Isofix, but decided it was way too difficult to find in the Cali to use daily, and, as occasional kiddie transporters, cost was also an issue for us.

Alan

hi, would any one know if there are any tether points for a child’s seat in the t5? I’ve found that there are in the t6 but cant see any in my t5. My daughter is too heavy for the isofix base now but as she’s two she’s too young for a seat with a seatbelt and still needs a harness, but can only use a harness the seat if it’s tethered (I’ve done a lot of research on this!). So we’re scuppered if we can’t tether!
I know what you mean i cant find the top tether points either, i have seen retrofit isofix parts on ebay wit a built-in top tether point but i dont think it will fit on a seat with existing isofix points, i am determined to find a solution as i dont want the other option of a seat with a foot prop that does the same thing, they are either or. Please post if you find them
Nicki