Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thank you and goodbye

leightonjthomas

leightonjthomas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Our six years of Cali ownership and membership of this forum have come to an end. We sold our (second) Cali yesterday to a lovely couple from Lincolnshire and we hope that they enjoy their travels in her as much as we have.
My wife has broken both her wrists over the last year whilst playing with the grandchildren(!) and this has made accessing the upstairs bed in the Cali very difficult. Sleeping downstairs wasn’t an option with a large black lab on board. I’m also due a second knee replacement so it was a question of either giving up the camping lifestyle completely or get something a bit bigger to make life easier inside.
We haven’t tried to undertake an Amarillo type trek, or the type of wild camping enjoyed by Skewif, as illustrated by his wonderful pictures. We have usually opted for the peace, security and creature comforts offered by CMC and ACSI sites but have managed, nevertheless, to enjoy many adventures to Wales, England, Scotland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Italy, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Spain and Portugal. Despite its little quirks it is a fabulous vehicle and our Calis have performed faultlessly on our travels.
I’m not a member of any other social media but I’m an avid reader of, and occasional contributor to, this brilliant forum so I think I’ll wean myself off gently. I would like to offer sincere thanks to Kev and Martin for the quiet, efficient way in which they run this forum and meetings; to Welshgas (despite our political differences) for being so patiently helpful and informative to me and countless others; to hotelcalifornia for his insightful posts, but mainly for introducing us to Nowack Champagne(!); to Granny Jen for sharing her unique combination of experience, common sense, positivity and humour; to Loz and his knowledge of technology in making my van and many others perform even better; and to all of you regular posters who make this forum so special.
We’ve put down a deposit on an Adria Twin Supreme 640 SLB which we should be picking up in April so the adventure continues. I’m not brave enough, however, to take a Fiat to a California Meeting so, unless our paths cross accidentally, it’s thank you and goodbye from us. Leighton and Mad

Best wishes for many more happy miles and stays. I'd say Onwards and Upwards even though you'll be sleeping downstairs now.
:D

Best wishes and you do know that you will always be welcome o this forum, even if you do drive a Fiat :D

Hey Leighton , exiting times changing campervans ...i'm sure you will enjoy it like you always have .
Pop in on the forum and let us know how it goes , i'm not on other social media eighter and this forum is my getaway from daily life ....
Do vistit Champagne Nowack when you pass there , who knows we will meet :thumb
Cheers and stay safe , the three of you ;)

Ps , can't see why you should not be at a meet ...like the Slimbridge meet , plenty other campers there also . Sure you are welcome !

Our six years of Cali ownership and membership of this forum have come to an end. We sold our (second) Cali yesterday to a lovely couple from Lincolnshire and we hope that they enjoy their travels in her as much as we have.
My wife has broken both her wrists over the last year whilst playing with the grandchildren(!) and this has made accessing the upstairs bed in the Cali very difficult. Sleeping downstairs wasn’t an option with a large black lab on board. I’m also due a second knee replacement so it was a question of either giving up the camping lifestyle completely or get something a bit bigger to make life easier inside.
We haven’t tried to undertake an Amarillo type trek, or the type of wild camping enjoyed by Skewif, as illustrated by his wonderful pictures. We have usually opted for the peace, security and creature comforts offered by CMC and ACSI sites but have managed, nevertheless, to enjoy many adventures to Wales, England, Scotland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Italy, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Spain and Portugal. Despite its little quirks it is a fabulous vehicle and our Calis have performed faultlessly on our travels.
I’m not a member of any other social media but I’m an avid reader of, and occasional contributor to, this brilliant forum so I think I’ll wean myself off gently. I would like to offer sincere thanks to Kev and Martin for the quiet, efficient way in which they run this forum and meetings; to Welshgas (despite our political differences) for being so patiently helpful and informative to me and countless others; to hotelcalifornia for his insightful posts, but mainly for introducing us to Nowack Champagne(!); to Granny Jen for sharing her unique combination of experience, common sense, positivity and humour; to Loz and his knowledge of technology in making my van and many others perform even better; and to all of you regular posters who make this forum so special.
We’ve put down a deposit on an Adria Twin Supreme 640 SLB which we should be picking up in April so the adventure continues. I’m not brave enough, however, to take a Fiat to a California Meeting so, unless our paths cross accidentally, it’s thank you and goodbye from us. Leighton and Mad
Best of luck on your new adventures, we are still enjoying the lovely leather 5th seat you sold us, pride of place in our conservatory and occasionally in the van.

I’m liking your new camper, that bed looks huge! Wishing you all the best and many happy travels. Steve.

All the best to you !!

Enjoy your new van,
at the end of the day as long as you can still get away at the weekend and get some fresh air, that’s all that matters.
we just sold our Cali too but can’t help but look on the forum .
ENJOY. :)

Sad to lose a Cali owner from the community, great to see positive affirmation of your Cali years. Travel on. Enjoy the next chapter :)

Surely its a way of life not just ehat 4 wheels we drive? Maybe there should be a forum section for previous dedicated cali users who for various reasons have needed a change of vehicle? Good luck with the knee etc I am facing a partial knee replacement and a thumb joint op too but trying to fit operations around work and wanting a long Cali trip thus Summer is proving tricky! Good luck and please din’t leave uf you don’t want to!

Adria seem to be doing quite well these days.
Good luck

It was a pleasure to meet you both at our first Cali Meet at Nowack, and thank you for the awning panels, they have now moved on to their third owner, but we had much use out of them. We shall miss your insightful posts.

Tom, Clare, Ben and Jack.

Good luck and glad to hear you are not hanging up your Ridge Monkey.
My view is all campervan people are part of a brotherhood - like motorcyclists, be they Californias, Adrias, Hymers. But not Motorhomes.

Back