Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thanks & Arrivederci

Karlos

Karlos

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Well I've not really been on here for sometime since selling my beautiful Cali and now I've done something that would have been inconceivable 2 years ago. I have gone to the dark side and ordered a Fiat van conversion :Iamsorry

This will give us a fixed full size double bed, shower room and dinette for four which will convert into another bed all in a van just under 6 metres. It will also come with the new series 8 cab which to be fair looks much better than the old one internally (more car like and less commercial vehicle)

We are hoping to take either early or semi retirement next year and this vehicle will allow us to travel off grid with it's uprated solar charging for 2 x 110amp Lithium batteries which hopefully will allow us to be as self contained as we want to be wherever we want to be. I hope we won't be the only Fiat at Camper Jam (that would be embarrassing) I still pine for a Cali but it just isn't right for us anymore and the grand are just too expensive. So if you see a madman waving at you from a Fiat, it'll probably be me just forgetting I'm not in a Cali anymore :talktothehand :(

Cheers
K

Well I've not really been on here for sometime since selling my beautiful Cali and now I've done something that would have been inconceivable 2 years ago. I have gone to the dark side and ordered a Fiat van conversion :Iamsorry

This will give us a fixed full size double bed, shower room and dinette for four which will convert into another bed all in a van just under 6 metres. It will also come with the new series 8 cab which to be fair looks much better than the old one internally (more car like and less commercial vehicle)

We are hoping to take either early or semi retirement next year and this vehicle will allow us to travel off grid with it's uprated solar charging for 2 x 110amp Lithium batteries which hopefully will allow us to be as self contained as we want to be wherever we want to be. I hope we won't be the only Fiat at Camper Jam (that would be embarrassing) I still pine for a Cali but it just isn't right for us anymore and the grand are just too expensive. So if you see a madman waving at you from a Fiat, it'll probably be me just forgetting I'm not in a Cali anymore :talktothehand :(

Cheers
K
Congrats, you have to do what’s right for you. The series 8 has much improvements so sure it will be great, did you go for the digital dash? Alpine and pioneer do some great head units that integrate well.
colour/brand. Photos.

Will

Cheers
K
What model did you order? We’re tempted to go ‘bigger’.

What model did you order? We’re tempted to go ‘bigger’.
Dipping our toe in at the cheaper end to see how we get on with one. Eiddis CV 40 with all the options ticked but still less than I sold my Cali for i July 2020.

Congrats, you have to do what’s right for you. The series 8 has much improvements so sure it will be great, did you go for the digital dash? Alpine and pioneer do some great head units that integrate well.
colour/brand. Photos.

Will
Elddis CV40 with all the options except colour, kept with white as we go to the med a lot.

Certainly some here will no longer be your friends.
Personally happy to hear your opinions and reasons.
:cheers

Sounds great Karlos and best of luck. A very good move in these times IMHO.

Congratulations @Karlos ! This thread is useless without pictures. Can we see a pic please? ;) :thumb
Couple of library pics, I intend to upgrade the seats at the rear to make a permanent double bed with full size pocket sprung mattress and lots of storage underneath. Water, grey water, gas tanks and boiler are all underslung giving lots of extra storage.

Delivery is expected for the end of May but I won't be surprised if that stretches to September.

motorhome_1_sd.jpg
new van.jpg
New Van 2.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds great Karlos and best of luck. A very good move in these times IMHO.
Cheers @Elmo3 Really wanted to go down the Hymer route but they never returned emails except for a generic thanks for your email we'll be in touch so after weeks of research the Elddis looks to fit our needs with some adaptions..

It was nice to interact with you on a couple of occasions here on the forum. Your posts were sensible, polite, useful. I wish you all the best in your new journey.

Couple of library pics, I intend to upgrade the seats at the rear to make a permanent double bed with full size pocket sprung mattress and lots of storage underneath. Water, grey water, gas tanks and boiler are all underslung giving lots of extra storage.

Delivery is expected for the end of May but I won't be surprised if that stretches to September.

View attachment 87767
View attachment 87764
View attachment 87765
Looks a cracking van. A friend of ours ordered a similar model from Auto Trail but have been informed of a delay due to base vehicle difficulties. Hope you get it as promised - please let us know your thoughts. Good luck and enjoy.

Have great fun with it Karlos.

It will seem like a big lump to drive around in at the beginning but you will get used to that, you will miss the smooth sophistication of the Cali as a driving machine but it will still get you there with ease, you will definitely miss the Cali's ability to limbo under height obstructions, as two creases at the top of my Ayers Rock shows ......

You will not get over the feeling of space though. The feeling of being able to do simple things without having to rearrange everything,

Horses for courses but it's a great horse to have.

Best wishes with all of it.

Have great fun with it Karlos.

It will seem like a big lump to drive around in at the beginning but you will get used to that, you will miss the smooth sophistication of the Cali as a driving machine but it will still get you there with ease, you will definitely miss the Cali's ability to limbo under height obstructions, as two creases at the top of my Ayers Rock shows ......

You will not get over the feeling of space though. The feeling of being able to do simple things without having to rearrange everything,

Horses for courses but it's a great horse to have.

Best wishes with all of it.
Cheers Jen.

Happy trails @Karlos - good chance I’ll go to the same layout myself sooner or later, eminently sensible & a shame we all have to compromise one way or the other.

Have fun!

We’ve also sold our Cali and gone for a Westfalia 540 on a Ducato. Hopefully get it in July. Congratulations @Karlos

View attachment 87767
View attachment 87764
View attachment 87765

Awesome. Love these vans. Maybe one day…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the best [mention]Karlos [/mention]and see you in the road! As some pointed out: It is/was never about the car more about the idea&love of camping and travelling! Stay safe and sound!

Hi @Karlos, we‘ve just been told that Fiat are behind with their Ducato orders and it looks like we’ll have a 6 month delay before we get our Westfali. Have Hymer given you a similar update?
From all accounts the Ducato factory won’t start production until late February. It’s the familiar story regarding lack of chips.

Congratulations on your purchase a great choice.

I hope it does not take too long to be delivered unlike ours.....

We have placed a deposit on a factory build slot for a Westfaila Columbus (Ducato) last July. Latest information we have received this week is that the Fiat Ducato factory has been closed and will be partly opening in Feb with full production returning from April. The 160bhp Engine will no longer be offered and of course there is now a significant backlog on all orders. I won't have any information on a delivery date until the end of April so I am estimating late 2022 (best) or 2023 (realistic) for delivery.

Congratulations on your purchase a great choice.

I hope it does not take too long to be delivered unlike ours.....

We have placed a deposit on a factory build slot for a Westfaila Columbus (Ducato) last July. Latest information we have received this week is that the Fiat Ducato factory has been closed and will be partly opening in Feb with full production returning from April. The 160bhp Engine will no longer be offered and of course there is now a significant backlog on all orders. I won't have any information on a delivery date until the end of April so I am estimating late 2022 (best) or 2023 (realistic) for delivery.
I’m 19mths in on my westy club joker order (delivery is supposed to be Jan/feb but no news yet), hope your wait won’t be as long!

I’m 19mths in on my westy club joker order (delivery is supposed to be Jan/feb but no news yet), hope your wait won’t be as long!
Admirable patience @4x4 joker - I'm looking forward to some pics and your first thoughts when it arrives.

Back