Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

That Quecha Tarp tip...

Max-Felix

Max-Felix

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Have to say I read about this somewhere on here a while ago and it works brilliantly. We bought three of the Tarps from Decathlon - £20 each including loads of guy ropes, pegs and two five section poles. They are a great size, good lightweight but strong material and can be used in so many ways.

When thinking of using something flexible but strong for the insert suddenly came up with 3 core round electrical cable of the right diameter - works great! My wife hemmed the tarp over a couple of inches first then we hemmed in the cable length really tight by first using a smaller diameter wooden dowl rod as a guide and then slowly fitting in the cable - feeds in the Cali awning easily.

You can then rig it up as an extension to the ground or flat instead tieing off to trees. A second can be secured with eyelets and elastics to the awning support arms to enclose the space.

IMG_3596.JPG

IMG_3597.JPG

IMG_3603.JPG

We used Kador strip on one we bought, they are brilliant aren't they. :) We have since given it away but intend to get another soon and may try the cable suggestion.

To be clear on the actual sewing in cable bit - if you try and sew with it in place you cannot get close/tight enough so leave it aside and use a slightly thinner wooden dowel or similar in it's place while you sew, moving this along as you go as a guide. Then the 'tube' created should be a nice tight fit for the cable which can be fed in. We practised on the material instruction/safety leaflet first.

Last edited:
Great idea. Do u know what diameter the cable is by any chance?

If you used the correct piping foot attachment on your sewing machine you can sew with the piping (in this case) electric cable, in place as you sew. Just as they do on furniture upholstery or on an awning strip.
If you don't have one then your dowel seems to work fine and well done to your ingenuity.

I'm currently experimenting with elastic shockcord. Comes in 4mm and 6mm and cheap enough.

Let us know how it works out - the cable worked quite well I found as it has just the right mix of stiffness and flexibility - if that makes sense! :)

The cable makes a 'P' shape in the material (like a Kador strip) and this slots into the rail on the outside of the awning.

I would not say the material is see through. It is a very flowing sort of material and does not rustle. :)

Another topic I had saved in my bookmarks is below here which gives another idea.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/awning-diy-sides.14355/

Reactions: Dec
The cable makes a 'P' shape in the material (like a Kador strip) and this slots into the rail on the outside of the awning.

I would not say the material is see through. It is a very flowing sort of material and does not rustle. :)

Another topic I had saved in my bookmarks is below here which gives another idea.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/awning-diy-sides.14355/
Many thanks, I've seen that other thread, and while it looks very good, the material wouldn't be right for us. We want a total block. I'm going to have to open up my awning cassette to look for where this 'kador' or 'P' slots in. I can't immediately see how it could attach to the outside?

1083.jpg

Not an issue in practise. See first pics of this topic.

Decathlon market two Tarps. The green one (£20) has a UPF of 30 while the Tarp Fresh (£25) has a higher UPF of 50. Both available online.

Nice work, love all this DIY stuff. :) Can you post some close-ups of the Kador attachment etc.

Nice work, love all this DIY stuff. :) Can you post some close-ups of the Kador attachment etc.

I found the Kador strip quite a tight fit the first time I pushed it in, so lightly rubbed a bit of candle wax on it which seemed to help a lot. My awning is a Fiamma from Nick at Everything California so will be a different Kador attachment to the factory awnings. Thanks for the idea in the first place :thumb

IMG_2215.JPG IMG_2216.JPG IMG_2219.JPG IMG_2222.JPG IMG_2223.JPG IMG_2226.JPG

Back