Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

That's not an awning!

Calimagg

Calimagg

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
IMG_0317.JPG Black Knowl CMC site in New Forest.
Warden has just told us the Quecha XL pop up is not allowed, even though it is attached by some velcro to the pull out and hence the van.
First time this has ever happened with CMC. He has graciously decided that we may leave it in situ for this stay, as it's hammering with rain.

I don't think you are the first person to have been challenged on those tents but I can't remember who it was.

I thought their rule was it had to be attached, so surely if its attached its an awning?

View attachment 24203 Black Knowl CMC site in New Forest.
Warden has just told us the Quecha XL pop up is not allowed, even though it is attached by some velcro to the pull out and hence the van.
First time this has ever happened with CMC. He has graciously decided that we may leave it in situ for this stay, as it's hammering with rain.

This seems contradictory to this email response I received from CMC yesterday. I've saved I'd it in case I come across similar reactions to yours:
(I've deleted my email address and CMC membership number for security.)

Hi Leighton,

Thank you for your enquiry, we have no problem with driveway awnings. Many of our members use them it does help with storage and saving you pitch while out for the day. Make sure you do book a pitch with awning space, you may also erect a tent for extra accommodation provided your main outfit is occupied and you are within you allocated pitch area.

We look forward to seeing you soon,

Kathy

Email Support Team
Caravan and Motorhome Club

East Grinstead House, East Grinstead, RH19 1UA
+44 (0)1342 318813
www.camc.com

Original Message:
Sent: 30 July 2017 14:20:48
To: "enquiries@camc.com"
Subject: Awnings

Dear Sir/Madam
I have a VW California Campervan with a built--in side awning on the driver's side. I am considering purchasing an additional drive away awning/shelter in order to store some equipment when my wife and I, plus dog, go off for the day. Could you please let me know the rules about awnings/drive-away awnings?
Many thanks.
Leighton Thomas

Sent from my iPad

This email has been scanned by the Symantec Email Security.cloud service.
For more information please visit http://www.symanteccloud.com

This email is sent from the offices of the Caravan and Motorhome Club. Caravan and Motorhome Club is a trading name of The Caravan Club Ltd, a company limited by guarantee, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance and credit activities. Registered office: East Grinstead House, East Grinstead, RH19 1UA. Registered in England No. 646027

WARNING – This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy, forward or use any part of it or disclose its contents to any person. If you have received it in error please notify the sender immediately. This email and any automatic copies should be deleted after you have contacted the sender.

I would contact the club get it in writing it is OK keep the letter with your membership card. Memories for some a couple of years ago When the Beach was not a camper van in some club warden's view even though HQ were happy.

This site has only just reopened slit might be that warden is new and not familiar with the rules. It might be worth asking him on what grounds your tent/awning is not allowed.
The current CMC directory clearly states an additional tent is allowed. Page 673 para 5!!
A possible issue might be that being in the New Forest there are some local regulations imposed on CMC.

Some "wardens" have a gift of making you feel very welcome. Is that the Base Seconds with a bedroom on the back?

If so I wonder do they think you are sleeping in it.

So if he is letting you leave it in place why mention it in the first place. Is it a power thing, did he have a fluorescent vest on by any chance?

..message ends..

As we're booked into a CMC site on Sat for a few nights up at North Berwick and we're taking our driveaway, I just phoned and had a chat to the warden up there to make sure they were ok with it. The lady said there was no problem with driveaway awnings currently, but there is a consultation going on within the Club management about sewn-in groundsheets. Ours does have this, so we'll have to be careful of that in the future. We plan to use it very little as the whole point of the van is minimal faff factor, but my son is coming with us this time, and refuses to sleep in the van. It takes all sorts!!!

As we're booked into a CMC site on Sat for a few nights up at North Berwick and we're taking our driveaway, I just phoned and had a chat to the warden up there to make sure they were ok with it. The lady said there was no problem with driveaway awnings currently, but there is a consultation going on within the Club management about sewn-in groundsheets. Ours does have this, so we'll have to be careful of that in the future. We plan to use it very little as the whole point of the van is minimal faff factor, but my son is coming with us this time, and refuses to sleep in the van. It takes all sorts!!!

Removed it was not North Berwick just plain Berwick

I've heard that mentioned before about sewn in sheets, not sure if the excuse is the grass being damaged or that someone could potentially sleep in it.

I've heard that mentioned before about sewn in sheets, not sure if the excuse is the grass being damaged or that someone could potentially sleep in it.
Well my son will be sleeping in it! If that's a problem, he'll just have to rough it inside the beautiful, wonderful, comfortable, warm Cali instead of in the cold on a grotty old inflatable bed. My heart bleeds for him. Not.

I was informed it was damage to grass as the reason. Some private sites already restrict groundsheet's to a maximum number of days.

I was informed it was damage to grass as the reason. Some private sites already restrict groundsheet's to a maximum number of days.

Interesting, we saw a awning/caravan move away one evening recently. It had been there for a more than a week, grass was 4 inches around the pitch. When they left there was no grass only soil. I'd guess that pitch would be out of use for a few weeks.

The CMC rules allow a tent or awning for extra sleeping accommodation providing the main outfit is occupied and it's within the pitch area. We've often seen notices asking for groundsheets and side flaps of awnings/tents to be raised to protect the grass. It saves the next person pitching on a patch of soil if the grass has died.

Some "wardens" have a gift of making you feel very welcome. Is that the Base Seconds with a bedroom on the back?

If so I wonder do they think you are sleeping in it.

So if he is letting you leave it in place why mention it in the first place. Is it a power thing, did he have a fluorescent vest on by any chance?

..message ends..

I don't think you are the first person to have been challenged on those tents but I can't remember who it was.

I thought their rule was it had to be attached, so surely if its attached its an awning?
That was exactly the point I made, but he was adamant it was a tent attached or not.
Only the head honcho doing a site inspection seemed bothered, but we may have to reconsider our set up.
It's just the main Base Seconds xl

Interesting replies, thank you.

On further enquiry, we are told that this particular site is 'No Tents' except for a small 2 man size tent. There is actually a No Tent sign at the entrance. Our Base seconds is too big it seems???????

Don't want to aggravate him further, as he initially wanted it taken down, but will take this up with Head Office including pics, once we are home.

As I said in my earlier post I wouldn't mind betting that it's got something to do with the Forest regulations. The New Forest Authorities impose pretty tight controls over camping within the forest.
I think the "No Tents" sign is to warn off tent campers rather than those of us with tents as annexes.
I'd be interested to know what you think of the site, apart from the tent issue!

As I said in my earlier post I wouldn't mind betting that it's got something to do with the Forest regulations. The New Forest Authorities impose pretty tight controls over camping within the forest.
I think the "No Tents" sign is to warn off tent campers rather than those of us with tents as annexes.
I'd be interested to know what you think of the site, apart from the tent issue!
We stayed at another CMC Forest Site a few weeks ago and no problem.

As to the site, the new facilities block is excellent and access to Brockenhurst is a 20 min walk, or less by bike.
Would recommend the pitches around the outside, as otherwise you are overlooked front and rear, no trees or hedges in the centre.
If you go for hard standing, you will need super tough pegs, as they have all been relayed.

my son is coming with us this time, and refuses to sleep in the van
I'd call that a win. My student kids refuse to sleep anywhere but the van - making it somewhat crowded when they come along.

We stayed at another CMC Forest Site a few weeks ago and no problem.
I've not stayed at a CMC forest site but have camped at Forestry Commission sites on many pre-Cali occasions. We found the most zealous wardens I have ever come across at the Forest of Dean. We called them the Gazebo police as they seemed to have nothing better to do than go round checking who had paid for gazebos, what size they were and how close to the tent they were pitched.

This thread does two things for me - makes me sad remembering happy days camping in an old tent with my children on Forest sites before they were taken over by CCC (or whatever ) and also confirms my prejudice against using those club sites!

Never have had any problems in France,they just let you get on with it not like ours that are 'like out of Dad's army'!
Our BIG Sept venture to France starts next month for 23 day's,sadly the exchange rate is poor as I type!

Great. A camper, probably smaller even than some tow cars, plus a drive-away is not welcome.

On the other hand I could turn up with gigantic twin-axle caravan pulled by a transporter and plonk a full-size awning along the side and that's ok.

Sometimes it seems that the only thing on holiday on club sites is common sense.

I find it's always best to call rather than book online with C&MC sites if using any kind of awning/tent. So many don't mind at all and will go out of their way to accommodate you but there'll always be exceptions. At least you know to give it a miss if they are funny about it on the phone.

We've got a booking at a site in Northumberland for later in the month and the chap said he's more than happy to be flexible with the peg because of our awning and made a note on our reservation. Similarly, just got back from a couple of nights at Abbey Wood CMC site and i think there were more caravans/motorhomes parked 'incorrectly' than correctly with no fuss at all. Nothing much that a pre-emptive conversation can't resolve.

Having failed to get the warden to agree that Rule 5a means I can have my tent, especially as it's also attached to the van, I have written to the CMC and asked for further clarification, together with a picture of my set up.

Seems it has been forwarded to the Regional Officer for a response within 20 days.

Having failed to get the warden to agree that Rule 5a means I can have my tent, especially as it's also attached to the van, I have written to the CMC and asked for further clarification, together with a picture of my set up.

Seems it has been forwarded to the Regional Officer for a response within 20 days.
Ludicrous! As GJ says, most of our set-ups are dwarfed by some of the huge outfits on CMC sites.

Back