Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The 199 (204) order club

PhilR

PhilR

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
As there are so many of us who’ve ordered 199’s and are now having to wait due to the engine changing to a 204, on the advice of another forum member I’ve started this so we can keep each other updated on the progress of (or lack of) our orders.
Mine was ordered on 11/9 and factory accepted on 17/9. After regular VW Chat “calls” I’m still being told “no build date allocated”.
There’s a little confusion over the No-Deal Tariff guarantee that VW have recently advised. My dealer has said it’s for vehicles ordered by 2 December but delivered by end of March or 28 days after arrival in the UK - whichever comes first. To me that means if mine isn’t built at week 6 (as has been widely reported) it is unlikely to arrive before the end of March. The statement now up on the VWCV website doesn’t say about the 28 days, so I’m going to seek some clarification from my dealer.
Anyone who gets any updates please keep us posted.......

Good luck all, I am sure VW wouldn't of made the offer without some assurances that production in Hannover can fulfil the orders.

Anybody who has worked in the big corporate will know it is all about the numbers. Hannover will need to hit it's targets and order deadlines, VWUK needs to hit its numbers as does the dealer. Its alright dealers saying they can absorb cancelled orders..... not if targets are missed. They will still order vans for stock because they have to, they could do without the nausea of surplus stock.

It looks like they have 8 weeks from week 6/21 to get your vans out of the door which is as we know well within current production timescales.

199 (204) Ocean in Starlight blue. Given up chasing chat as the kept saying “as we told you last week”. Well if they were pro-active I wouldn’t have to ask!

Good luck all, I am sure VW wouldn't of made the offer without some assurances that production in Hannover can fulfil the orders.

Anybody who has worked in the big corporate will know it is all about the numbers. Hannover will need to hit it's targets and order deadlines, VWUK needs to hit its numbers as does the dealer. Its alright dealers saying they can absorb cancelled orders..... not if targets are missed. They will still order vans for stock because they have to, they could do without the nausea of surplus stock.

It looks like they have 8 weeks from week 6/21 to get your vans out of the door which is as we know well within current production timescales.
Yep. They’ll arrive as and when. I’m not fussed when i take delivery. I’ve actually just bought a ’21’ plate so don't really want until after March now anyway. Given the week 6 start of 204’s it wont be anyway. I’ve only checked with VW chat once as to ensure they had my correct updated order - which they had the wrong colour From the order form! Imagine going to collect and getting grey instead of blue - that’s worth geiing stressed about Not what week it’s being built.

I’d just recommend stop chasing VW chat on a weekly basis. Remember that these are built to order and not for stock.

Same boat, ordered 25/09 and factory accepted 05/10. 199/204 4Mo, Ascot Grey, Sport Pack. “No confirmed build week, try again next week”. Repeat.

I see the Brexit risk as pretty much zero £ now. Especially as VW have the confidence to underwrite it.

I tend to set my expectations very low - VW are bang on trend so far!

Just a case of waiting impatiently - I anticipate my own interest waining over Winter, but hopefully I won’t move on to the next mad idea and stick with this one - and VW land the vehicle in time for Spring/Easter!

Haven’t heard from my dealer since I parted with a grand - don’t expect to either - they know most buyers can access the VW chat.

The worlds in a funny place right now - might be best VW holding the risk and our vans arrive when we are ready and able to use them properly.

Feel your pain tho.

...I see the Brexit risk as pretty much zero £ now. Especially as VW have the confidence to underwrite it.
Surely you’re not indicating VW may be trying to drum up some extra sales by offering something that will probably cost them nothing/not materialise? ;) :D

Also in the 199/204 club. Ordered 24/09 and factory accepted on the 20/10 (which seems a long time compared to some). I have today tweaked my order removing unnecessary extras and Guy from VW Lancs. indicated that VW's statement wasnt clear. Guy actually advised that vehicles could arrive anytime next year as long as they are collected within 14days of the dealer recieving it, or 28 days from UK arrival. I imagine they have removed some wording to allow for any slips in production due to the pandemic.

I also took out an extended service pack over 4 years instead of 2 for £425+vat, was told this would need adding to secure this price.
Added extra warranty as well for 5 years, this will hopefully be a keeper, if and when it finally arrives!

Also in the 199/204 club. Ordered 24/09 and factory accepted on the 20/10 (which seems a long time compared to some). I have today tweaked my order removing unnecessary extras and Guy from VW Lancs. indicated that VW's statement wasnt clear. Guy actually advised that vehicles could arrive anytime next year as long as they are collected within 14days of the dealer recieving it, or 28 days from UK arrival. I imagine they have removed some wording to allow for any slips in production due to the pandemic.

I also took out an extended service pack over 4 years instead of 2 for £425+vat, was told this would need adding to secure this price.
Added extra warranty as well for 5 years, this will hopefully be a keeper, if and when it finally arrives!
Good stuff. Thanks for that. I was going to seek some clarity from Guy but you’ve saved me a job!

We went for the extra services and warranty too. Like you, hopefully we’ll keep it at least 5 years.

Have you added any dealer fit options? We’ve gone for lowering springs, front spoiler and angled side bars. We are probably going to add the rear spoiler (I’m not sure but wife likes it) and also leather seats. I’m going to get a “VW21 ***” plate for £399, *** being my initials. Also planning on adding some Beatnik graphics, so after all that personalising we really need to keep it for a while!!

I’m going to get a “VW21 ***” plate for £399, *** being my initials.

Feels a bit like " don't tell them your name Pike"
PhilR doesn't want us to know what his initials are..........anyone want to guess?

Good stuff. Thanks for that. I was going to seek some clarity from Guy but you’ve saved me a job!

We went for the extra services and warranty too. Like you, hopefully we’ll keep it at least 5 years.

Have you added any dealer fit options? We’ve gone for lowering springs, front spoiler and angled side bars. We are probably going to add the rear spoiler (I’m not sure but wife likes it) and also leather seats. I’m going to get a “VW21 ***” plate for £399, *** being my initials. Also planning on adding some Beatnik graphics, so after all that personalising we really need to keep it for a while!!

Not really thought about dealer fit options but i do fancy the idea of removing some of the arch gap.
I have just had a look at their options and I think 30mm may leave me wanting more but they do offer a coilover set which would allow for me to fine tune the look i would like, and i presume would be covered by VW warranty should i have issues if they fit before delivery? May investigate further. Just thought, would factory fitted suspension require me to inform the insurance and pay extra for performance enhancing modifications?
Sorry to the purists, but i do want to add some 20" wheels, lower it and add side bars. Most of this would be better value from countless aftermarket suppliers to an equal standard so may end up spreading the wealth a little one it arrives. But these are such a personal vehicle anyway so why shouldn't we make them our own, as long as we can return it to standard should we need to sell.
It is exciting though, first new vehicle i have ever purchased and now there is clarity over import duties i feel i can starting purchasing some goodies for fitting on arrival.

I ordered a 199/204 4Motion Ocean earlier this week. Told the dealer I thought it unlikely mine would be built in time to meet the March 31st deadline for no Brexit penalties. Got this response - "We are seeing vehicles getting built much sooner than the 6 month lead time, however there has not been clarification on the Brexit charges after the dates they have advised."

@PhilR Thanks for pulling together the thread.

Also in the 199 (204) club.

Ordered 19th September, accepted by the factory 24th September.

Not much feedback from my dealer unless pressed for an update, however latest from them (as of 2 weeks ago) was that my Cali has a scheduled (provisional) build date of week 50. This is subject to the arrival of the new 204 power trains which VW say are expected to start arriving mid / end December. A firm build date should be forthcoming nearer the end of this month (if not earlier).

Not much feedback from my dealer unless pressed for an update, however latest from them (as of 2 weeks ago) was that my Cali has a scheduled (provisional) build date of week 50. This is subject to the arrival of the new 204 power trains which VW say are expected to start arriving mid / end December. A firm build date should be forthcoming nearer the end of this month (if not earlier).
If you ordered locally in Aberdeen then they you have to push for dates. I couldn’t get them to agree there is a difference between provisional and confirmed build dates.

Thats interesting. i've been told not before Wk6 21. i ordered in early September 20. (see, you have to mention years in these posts)

I ordered a 199/204 4Motion Ocean earlier this week. Told the dealer I thought it unlikely mine would be built in time to meet the March 31st deadline for no Brexit penalties. Got this response - "We are seeing vehicles getting built much sooner than the 6 month lead time, however there has not been clarification on the Brexit charges after the dates they have advised."
Sorry, can anyone explain where this supposed end March deadline has come from? VWCV website makes no mention of end March and previous comms said delivery must be taken by end March or within 28 days of arrival in the UK if arrives in UK after the 3 March. So no end March deadline????

Sorry, can anyone explain where this supposed end March deadline has come from? VWCV website makes no mention of end March and previous comms said delivery must be taken by end March or within 28 days of arrival in the UK if arrives in UK after the 3 March. So no end March deadline????
My dealer read it out to me from info they had been sent. Any order before Dec 2nd, if it arrives before end March will be the same price as on order (i.e. no import tax if no deal B)

Anyone go that in writing? It’s not what has been articulated elsewhere. If end Mar is actually the cutoff then the VW advertising material is misleading at best, and could easily be seen as false advertising. And the ‘guarantee’ is effectively worthless for anyone on this thread given that 204 RDE2 isn’t going in to production until week 6 - so not many if any vans are going to make it to the dealer by end March.

Anyone go that in writing? It’s not what has been articulated elsewhere. If end Mar is actually the cutoff then the VW advertising material is misleading at best, and could easily be seen as false advertising. And the ‘guarantee’ is effectively worthless for anyone on this thread given that 204 RDE2 isn’t going in to production until week 6 - so not many if any vans are going to make it to the dealer by end March.
Which is why I wanted to mention it. With Covid restrictions it was read out to me.
However, I could have got it wrong. I can ask for confirmation?

Thats interesting. i've been told not before Wk6 21. i ordered in early September 20. (see, you have to mention years in these posts)
I am not expecting it to be available before March 21, but I remain hopeful. Wk6 2021 has been mentioned on a number of threads in relation to the availability of the new 204 power trains, so thought it odd that my dealer has stated a different timeframe, but this has come directly to them from "VW Dealer Support" apparently.

I am not expecting it to be available before March 21, but I remain hopeful. Wk6 2021 has been mentioned on a number of threads in relation to the availability of the new 204 power trains, so thought it odd that my dealer has stated a different timeframe, but this has come directly to them from "VW Dealer Support" apparently.

I received this from my dealer “Engine changes to comply with the latest emission standard (Euro 6d-ISC-FCM, more commonly known as RDE 2) begin in week 46 2020. “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is why I wanted to mention it. With Covid restrictions it was read out to me.
However, I could have got it wrong. I can ask for confirmation?
I don’t think it would have any value to anyone using another dealer @AlisonF . It seems to be VW offering the guarantee, and then down to individual dealers interpretation. So it’s the actual VW offer that needs to be better articulated IF it’s different to what they have stated on their website.

I don’t think it would have any value to anyone using another dealer @AlisonF . It seems to be VW offering the guarantee, and then down to individual dealers interpretation. So it’s the actual VW offer that needs to be better articulated IF it’s different to what they have stated on their website.
I’m not sure I agree. I had a couple of things back ordering my Ocean 5 years ago and again now ordering a Kombi and then switching to a Beach, where the dealer was denying any knowledge (around extended warranty). I think poor communication within VW and alongside dealers denying all knowledge hoping you’ll accept what they say. Not honest behaviour somewhere along the line. I find it disheartening that they just ‘no’. No matter how many times I say I know of other customers having been offered it. The whole thing could be resolved by (a) your dealer trusting you are not lying to them and (b) the dealers following the forum so they are also up to date on the deals being offered.
Now, as a customer with cash wanting to buy something expensive... I always go with the person who is honest with me. This means I’ve overpaid now and again for good service. But, I refuse to pay over the odds for poor service...