Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

THE alternative Beach:

I can see that table being used in monopoly rage !

Two sliding doors = useless imo.
For the time beeing nothing can beat a real Cali when talking -2m heigh and -5m lenght segment

Becose i can do without the second sliding door and rather have a kitchenunit and storage facilyties on the opposite side .
In a people carrier two sliding door are ok , in a campervan not ...my opinion.
Let's just say that a Cali (in my case a SE ) does the job for me and so far i've not seen any other campervan 2m h. 5m long that i'm wiching i had...

Last edited:
That's why I started the thread with "if I would look for a more multi-functional van". Meaning besides having a camper, also looking for e.g. a goods Transporter, a people carrier, ... But I don't. My Ocean is really perfectly fitting for my needs. But I can enjoy other clever ideas for other users as well. How easily this bench is manipulated/removed, no? And the little handy in- and outdoors cooker-pod/footstool/desk-,... the hot water supply, ... Again, personally I would need a bigger kitchen and fridge and storage cabinets, but still all very smart.
And I could imagine that, even when not essential in the whole concept of that 'Spacecamper' and besides the extra cost, that extra sliding door could well please our UK friends traveling in and out of the mainland. Or simply adding to the multi- aspect of it.
I always loved the extra sliding door behind the kitchen like you sometimes see them in conversions. So handy to reach the kitchen without having to enter the car.

Last edited:
Surely the exposed edge of the table around the gas hob will burn...just like an ocean washing up bowl. Fire extinguisher essential imo. Looks like something you’d find in a hot pot or teppanyaki restaurant.

Two sliding doors = useless imo.
For the time beeing nothing can beat a real Cali when talking -2m heigh and -5m lenght segment
For the time beeing nothing can beat a real Cali when talking -2m heigh and -5m lenght segment[/QUOTE]

Actually Wim, speaking hypothetically, I think that two sliding doors could have some quite interesting positive benefits on a Beach and could make it even more versatile than it already is. My original search before buying a Cali was for a Caravelle so I've looked into this issue in quite some depth.

Firstly the existing Beach storage panel on the nearside (UK) is useful but IMO not that well designed, e.g there are six cup holder positions in that panel! They cannot be reached by all the rear occupants and four of them don't allow most thermo insulated non spill mugs that are the safest option in a moving vehicle, because the cup holder apertures just aren't tall enough. So I doubt if most Beach owners use them that much, if at all. Sorry about the bad photo.
IMG_3559.JPG
There is also storage for the odd magazine and two larger apertures for bulkier items including the two other cup holders. Whilst useful, alternative storage of the same capacity could easily be provided elsewhere with very little effort. One of those Brandrup seat back storage accessories would be just as useful IMO. So yes it's useful but I for one wouldn't miss this storage panel as I'd make alternative arrangements.

However if VW were ever to replace this panel with a second sliding door it could provide the following possible benefits:
1. Rear passengers in the UK could alight on the pavement and not in the middle of the road.
2. You could have an awning rail fitted on the near/side (UK). No more arguments about parking at Camping and Motor Home Club sites and elsewhere!
3. You could even have an awning on each side. Very useful for larger families.
4. Two awnings means you could possibly have two easy to erect space saving Comfortz awning rooms. Some may prefer this to a separate bulky awning. Perhaps a bathroom on one side and a kitchen on t'other or perhaps morning room on one side and orangery on the other.
5. Two sliding doors means VW could potentially offer two VW picnic tables. Minimal R and D work for VW. Quite useful on a seven seat vehicle.
6. VW could encorporate the existing aluminium picnic table attachment rail into both sliding door panels thus enabling owners to chose which side to have their table and which side to get in and out. If they did then the existing black plastic cup holders supplied in both models could be used in these rails. I currently employ two of these and they work very well indeed with insulated mugs.
7. In bad weather conditions you could always get out on the sheltered side.
8. It would open up a lot of potential posibilities for Beach owners wishing to fit various pods. They could be fitted on either side without inpeeding access.
9. Removal of the seventh seat would be much easier as it would be right next to the new sliding door and not on the other side of the vehicle. If you ever removed one of these swivel seats you'll know what I'm getting at.
10. When the sun goes round just move to the other side and hey presto.
Here's a slightly better photo.
IMG_6487.jpg

"For the time beeing nothing can beat a real Cali when talking -2m heigh and -5m lenght segment"[/QUOTE]
Unless it's a Beach ! :cheers

Last edited:
Surely the exposed edge of the table around the gas hob will burn...just like an ocean washing up bowl. Fire extinguisher essential imo. Looks like something you’d find in a hot pot or teppanyaki restaurant.
Never had that problem in 4 yrs of cooking in the SE. Never move the bowel and tend to use the R hand ring first.
If you use pots with too large a diameter I could see it being a problem.

I'd definitely spec twin sliding doors on a Beach if it was available in the UK. Would be extremely handy getting the kids out on the passenger side.

I've often wondered what was behind the fixed side panel, wouldn't surprise me if there was a fair bit of wasted space, I don't find the existing storage that useful.

The title of this thread says it all - an Alternative to the California Beach.

I don't know why the SE/Ocean is even being mentioned.

I'd definitely spec twin sliding doors on a Beach if it was available in the UK. Would be extremely handy getting the kids out on the passenger side.

I've often wondered what was behind the fixed side panel, wouldn't surprise me if there was a fair bit of wasted space, I don't find the existing storage that useful.
We too would love two sliding doors, but we do use the fixed panel storage and would miss it if it went.

Ok i have to agree that on a Beach it could have some benefits , but i personal find it no issue having just one .

Just get them to walk between the front passenger seats and get out of the passenger door.
That’s what I do when parked on a busy street:thumb

Just get them to walk between the front passenger seats and get out of the passenger door.
That’s what I do when parked on a busy street:thumb
That's exactly what we do, just would have a 2nd slider if it was available!

That's exactly what we do, just would have a 2nd slider if it was available!

Yeah, I probably would to.
Purely because the Beach side unit is almost pointless.
Imagine if VW could design a flip out stove in that second door. Far more useful.
Infact, the video highlights how much more could be done with the Beach if Volkswagen put their minds to it.

Last edited:
They have some nice things going on.
I like the removable draws and the way the pod swings outside.

Still beats me, why would anybody want kinda kitchen even in a beach. Burners are pretty ineffective space and safety wise. We went all electric with x2 coockin pots 100w each and a electric tea pot 150w.
Turned out insanely effective cooking 3 times a day in our last 100 days trip.
Takes so little space. Your food is cooking or water boiling when driving pretty safely. So all the time spent cooking is throwing some stuff from the fridge to pots. Even no dish washing.

Still beats me, why would anybody want kinda kitchen even in a beach. Burners are pretty ineffective space and safety wise. We went all electric with x2 coockin pots 100w each and a electric tea pot 150w.
Turned out insanely effective cooking 3 times a day in our last 100 days trip.
Takes so little space. Your food is cooking or water boiling when driving pretty safely. So all the time spent cooking is throwing some stuff from the fridge to pots. Even no dish washing.

Hi Sp0_uk

How do you cook or boil water when driving ?
Can you post some details of the electric cooking pots and tea pot ?
Thanks

Hi Sp0_uk

Thanks

I’m intrigued too. My 750ml 12 volt kettle takes ~50 minutes to boil and three uses has probably caused permanent damage to my leisure battery. I would never use it when driving.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I’m intrigued too. My 750ml 12 volt kettle takes ~50 minutes to boil and three uses has probably caused permanent damage to my leisure battery. I would never use it when driving. Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
First of all
1)don't want to steal the thread with offtopic
2)this was already discussed here once and ended ugly
There is a lot wrong with your post Amarillo.
Yes, our pot is also ~750ml 12v and draws 5-5.5 amps. and takes 35-40mins to boil.
You don't have to be very good with math or physics to realize that 5 amps load can damage neither leisure battery nor alternator which is under load when driving. Your climate control easily draws over 40-50 amps.

However, I really had to modify/change the cig lighter plug for the pot that handles loads and temperatures better.
750ml isn't much but we just time the boiling while driving and fill the thermos, reusing the water later on if needed. It is better used while driving, because you don't load the battery but alternator. Less amps/load at higher voltage. 14,5v driving vs 12,5v battery load.

Hi Sp0_uk
Thanks
Got this one but it was cheaper. Cig lighter Plug should be replaced to heavy duty for normal use.

Back