Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The bits you can't resist ....

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
So, like all careful,organised cali campers I am frugal with space and what I put in it.....

in fact I have space-saving down to a fine art now, only just enough clothes, all of dual use, carefully selected to be able to wash and dry overnight, quite happy to look like a geriatric bag lady for a couple of weeks in order to save space .....

Except for shoes :sad

My last minute checks before departing tomorrow morning for 13 days:

Hiking and trail shoes --- well of course it's going to be wet, loafers for in the van, gym shoes for day wear, two pairs of courts should I go out in the evening, a pair of running shoes - even though I'm not allowed to run at present and just in case another pair, should I run and need a stability shoe ..... oh and not forgetting the crocs for beach or shower.

8 pairs of shoes and each of them a necessity :shocked

Oh shoes... I feel you @GrannyJen! We try to reduce to max (2 pair of flipflops, 4 pair of sneakers). Okay, we are not going out to places where we wouldn't be allowed to wear sneakers. However wish you a great trip and look forward to see some pictures of Alfie and friend (Eriba)!

I take about 3 pairs and slippers.
Hiking boots , walking shoes (high model) and waliking shoes (low model)
And slippers to wear barefoot .
Oh , and plastic slippers for in the showers at campsites
That makes 4 .

Unfortunate my other half does not stick to this limit and we always take a few pairs that never leave the storage box in the rear :D

Gradually down to four pairs (as a man!) now after last couple of summer trips:

Keen sandals.
Flip Flops.
Hiking/Approach/Climbing shoes (Scarpa Mojitos - awesome versatile things).
Germans.

Last edited:
So, like all careful,organised cali campers I am frugal with space and what I put in it.....

in fact I have space-saving down to a fine art now, only just enough clothes, all of dual use, carefully selected to be able to wash and dry overnight, quite happy to look like a geriatric bag lady for a couple of weeks in order to save space .....

Except for shoes :sad

My last minute checks before departing tomorrow morning for 13 days:

Hiking and trail shoes --- well of course it's going to be wet, loafers for in the van, gym shoes for day wear, two pairs of courts should I go out in the evening, a pair of running shoes - even though I'm not allowed to run at present and just in case another pair, should I run and need a stability shoe ..... oh and not forgetting the crocs for beach or shower.

8 pairs of shoes and each of them a necessity :shocked
Good job you don’t have Mrs M with you, you would need something a lot bigger than the Cali for her footwear as well! ;)

Oh shoes... I feel you @GrannyJen! We try to reduce to max (2 pair of flipflops, 4 pair of sneakers). Okay, we are not going out to places where we wouldn't be allowed to wear sneakers. However wish you a great trip and look forward to see some pictures of Alfie and friend (Eriba)!

You will certainly see some pictures :)

We have another Eriba now, Frieda has been traded in for Angela. It has a much lighter interior.

Gradually down to four pairs (as a man!) now after last couple of summer trips:

Keen sandals.
Flip Flops.
Hiking/approach shoes.
Germans.

3 pairs for a full year:
Approach (need to be chucked)
Crocs
Wellies (hardly used)

The boys are similarly frugal:
Crocs
Sandals
Walking boots

I'm not allowed to count Clare's shoes.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

No wellies? :shocked

No wellies - my golden rules as always:

1. Only ever go camping south of the Loire.
  2. Only ever in August.
No guarantee that there won't be puddles, swamps and rivers of mud outside the showers but a damn sight less chance than Bognor in April.

Last edited: