The California Workhorse!!!

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Dear All,

Does anyone use there California as a works vehicle?. Im not talking about some emails on a laptop or driving to meetings, im talking about filling it with tools, equipment or even bricks and making it into a proper workhorse and maximising its Transporter van DNA?

Be great to hear some examples, and even better some photos!

Dear All,

Does anyone use there California as a works vehicle?. Im not talking about some emails on a laptop or driving to meetings, im talking about filling it with tools, equipment or even bricks and making it into a proper workhorse and maximising its Transporter van DNA?

Be great to hear some examples, and even better some photos!
It seems that Beach owners do it all the time.:eek:

Damn my phone that was from not friday

Would not have bought a Cali if I wanted a works van.

Would not have bought a Cali if I wanted a works van.
Why not, its based on a works van so why not use it as one as well (all be a posh works van)

Why not, its based on a works van so why not use it as one as well (all be a posh works van)

Because I paid £55k for a campervan and I do not need to fill it with bricks work tools and paint pots. My dealer had a builders highlight top of the range Kombi with leather seats in for a service last time I was there. Painted leather seats and floor, damaged trim etc etc. Unless you have more money than sense why would you treat a top of the range van like that. If I needed a works van I would buy a basic transporter use it as a builders van and sale it to a conversion company after 24 months.

Because I paid £55k for a campervan and I do not need to fill it with bricks work tools and paint pots. My dealer had a builders highlight top of the range Kombi with leather seats in for a service last time I was there. Painted leather seats and floor, damaged trim etc etc. Unless you have more money than sense why would you treat a top of the range van like that. If I needed a works van I would buy a basic transporter use it as a builders van and sale it to a conversion company after 24 months.
I know the Cali is a beauty, but still is more than capable to be a proper workhorse as well due to its van DNA, just seeing if anyone does?

I have a Ford Ranger for work it is has loads of dents and scratches something I have no intention of ever happen to my Cali. Have you seen tradesmans work vehicles?
Yes, i am a tradsman and know how bashed up vans can get (if not looked after), but bet your ranger most prob cost you the best part of £20k + so just wondering if anyone has a cali and uses it for work instrad of having 2 vehicles which means 2 lots of insurances, tax, repairs, servicing costs for just one, and then it could easily make viable sense for work, for daily driver, for holidays?. The cali is based on a very highly regarded works van which is a very proven workhourse :thumb

Humvee's DNA is military I would not expect you would drive a private one over an IED. When your Cali arrives let us know if you feel it is something you would consider trying with your van.
One of the biggest recurring issues with dealers that owners bring up is those dealers that treat their Cali like a builders van. When someone opens's their door on your Cali in a car park and you object and they say "It is only a van"you will understand it is more than a van to many owners. I use ours for many things as it is our daily drive but I have the luxury of being retired.

Humvee's DNA is military I would not expect you would drive a private one over an IED. When your Cali arrives let us know if you feel it is something you would consider trying with your van.
One of the biggest recurring issues with dealers that owners bring up is those dealers that treat their Cali like a builders van. When someone opens's their door on your Cali in a car park and you object and they say "It is only a van"you will understand it is more than a van to many owners. I use ours for many things as it is our daily drive but I have the luxury of being retired.
I don't want to offend you or any cali owners, im not saying "its just a van" im saying its dna is based on a van, which is is! I appreciate a california is a amazing machine, hence i have ordered one and also not sayong you have to use it as a van, im asking does anyone use it as a workhorse as well as a holiday machine! I have to work to pay for the cali, im not retired, so wondering if it makes sense to get rid of my current van so dont need two vehicles, which means more money saved, which means means more adventures :thumb

Wow there are some snooty Cali owners on here it makes me laugh! Get over yourselves
I'm a tradesman and look after my work van it's my pride and joy just like the Cali.
And yes I've used it for work on occasion when my work van has been in the garage, I've even been down the dump in it a few times to get rid of stuff I wouldn't be allowed to in my Crafter.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Do not think you will offend anyone. Only you will know what state your Cali could get in over the next 2- 3- 4 -5 years of daily work use -would you eat sleep in the work van you already own, Personally, I would keep the old working van.

Wow there are some snooty Cali owners on here it makes me laugh! Get over yourselves
I'm a tradesman and look after my work van it's my pride and joy just like the Cali.
And yes I've used it for work on occasion when my work van has been in the garage, I've even been down the dump in it a few times to get rid of stuff I wouldn't be allowed to in my Crafter.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Thays a answer that is good to hear. And yes, would very mich like to eat out my works van, if i could of course. imagine on a winter days and cooking something lovley and having a cuppa at dinner time! Maybe even a sneaky snooze! :thumb

I am asking does anyone use it as a workhorse :thumb

Um, no.
I have carried sand, cement and paving slabs. It knows Ikea Reading and the way there and back. I can go to the charity shoppes to take or bring home all sorts of tat and I am a regular at our local amenity tip with garden waste.
It gets used as a daily drive and days out but, sadly, less actual camping as such.
To use it as a workhorse is what I am probably doing but for goodness sake, don’t tell anyone!
It is proving to be a great camper and all the other things but were I looking for a builders van then shirley I would buy a builders van ??

Um, no.
I have carried sand, cement and paving slabs. It knows Ikea Reading and the way there and back. I can go to the charity shoppes to take or bring home all sorts of tat and I am a regular at our local amenity tip with garden waste.
It gets used as a daily drive and days out but, sadly, less actual camping as such.
To use it as a workhorse is what I am probably doing but for goodness sake, don’t tell anyone!
It is proving to be a great camper and all the other things but were I looking for a builders van then shirley I would buy a builders van ??

True, my wife said if you put one tool in our new cali, i will chop your hands off, so thoight maybe i was going to get from this thread "look, everyone else does it" so lets sell the works van but feel there is far too mich love for these calis to see tools thrown in it on a daily basis (and of course would.most prob chage my mind when i have it on my drive). Thanks again, and from your genuine love for your calis, i have decided to keep my current works van as feel i would be beaten with a stick if any of you saw me put tools in my cali! I have learnt my lesson and i will never call a California a van again, i:Nailbiting:Nailbiting:oops::oops::sorry:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Our Cali is our only vehicle and I have used it to transport slabs, a garden seat and stuff to the the dump. But you have to be very careful, I went to the dump with our previous Cali and dented one of the kitchen doors by overloading. I now put a plastic sheet in if I'm carrying big or dirty stuff.
I wouldn't use it as a full time works van, they can get bashed about.

Our Cali is our only vehicle and I have used it to transport slabs, a garden seat and stuff to the the dump. But you have to be very careful, I went to the dump with our previous Cali and dented one of the kitchen doors by overloading. I now put a plastic sheet in if I'm carrying big or dirty stuff.
Thanks for that, yes decided to keep my current works van! Suppose it would break my heart seeing a massive scratch on it!

you can go to work in it. camp in it. go to the tip in it. transport paving slabs in it. and shag in it. up to now I've only done 2 of those. edit. 4 of those. ha

Agree, a lot of cardboard and blankets and only ‘domestic and pleasure’ trips with no ‘business ‘ use.......
:cheers

Shag? Far to much risk of damage, I mean,how do you jump off the wardrobe.?

:cheers
Assuming it isn’t a beach.......

Last edited:
how does Eddie eagle not know how to jump off a wardrobe?

Back