Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Club Clothes Line

DavidofHook

DavidofHook

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Morning Folks,
Been here in France for 2 weeks and we... er that is Mrs DoH uses the club line on the side of the van. She says it works well but she says that the clothes touch the side of the van which means that she had to clean i it every time she does the washing. I have suggested that she should extend her cleaning activities to the rest of the vehicle but it is perhaps better not to repeat her comment on that.
Any one else experienced this problem? (Ahem, not with the wife/partner, but with cleaningthe van each time?)

We purchased one after about 6 months of van ownership - agree with your comments on the clothes touching the side of the van. Used it once, we haven't used it since - unless there's a knack to it that someone else can advise.

I'll mention the cleaning the side of the van to the wife but think I already know the response that I'll get!.

C1A3FD18-6B32-4493-9575-658E5F8801BA.jpeg 100ft of fluo green paracord for £3 delivered from China does the trick for us on more than one night stays otherwise it’s more paracord looped around the VW bike rack to add to it’s built in washing line properties.

I bought it a few years ago.
Used it a couple of times and stopped for the same reason.

Nice idea, but not really practical.
I just tie straps from the awning to a tree or fence.

Got the Club line for sale, if anyone is interested :D

This DIY washing line extension could save some t-shirts and towels... The rail screw will have to be very tight to avoid rotation. A stick or ring slanting underneath the wing nut (or through both slats) will prevent the second slat from lowering down.
But I'm afraid for longer and heavier pieces you'll need to use the awning if you're not up to washing the van.
I do like the basic set up with a blanket as a simple sun protector at pitches where the sun is fighting the fridge.

Washing line extension.jpg

Last edited:
I bought one, thought it would be a good idea but used it once and not since for the reasons above, also I got the feeling if you were not carful sliding the brackets in, it could jam up and scratch the powder coating from the awning rail. also I unscrewed the nut too far to help with the clearance and it came apart dropping the bracket nearly hitting the van. I also think if you load the line up with a lot of wet washing there's going to be a lot of weight on the awning rail which I don't know if its designed to take, as awnings are only located into the slot not generally taking their weight.
We now use a washing line from the camping section of pound land I think, its yellow and comes with pegs we just tie to a couple of trees and yes you guessed it its £1.

So if anyone wants one, I have one you can have FOC. I took the standard lines off and fitted Para cord with sealed ends, just pay for postage and its yours.

That line has a lot to answer for. We have one of the early club logos, a narrow strip with vwclaiforniaclub.com on it in silver which I have placed very tastefully along the bottom of the back window n the non door side of the van. Looks very nice. Very cool. But I noticed today that Mrs DoH's energetic cleaning has started to strip the silver off the logo. Oh dear.
Looks as if I will be back to that bit of nylon rope I have been carrying around for yonks.

We have one of the early club logos, a narrow strip with vwclaiforniaclub.com on it in silver which I have placed very tastefully along the bottom of the back window n the non door side of the van. Looks very nice. Very cool. But I noticed today that Mrs DoH's energetic cleaning has started to strip the silver off the logo.
I have one of those, part of mine is fading. I am thinking of getting it replaced.

I have one of those, part of mine is fading. I am thinking of getting it replaced.
Shop no longer sell them . I've ordered some from eBay as mine are losing odd letters slowly.

I bought one, thought it would be a good idea but used it once and not since for the reasons above, also I got the feeling if you were not carful sliding the brackets in, it could jam up and scratch the powder coating from the awning rail. also I unscrewed the nut too far to help with the clearance and it came apart dropping the bracket nearly hitting the van. I also think if you load the line up with a lot of wet washing there's going to be a lot of weight on the awning rail which I don't know if its designed to take, as awnings are only located into the slot not generally taking their weight.
We now use a washing line from the camping section of pound land I think, its yellow and comes with pegs we just tie to a couple of trees and yes you guessed it its £1.

So if anyone wants one, I have one you can have FOC. I took the standard lines off and fitted Para cord with sealed ends, just pay for postage and its yours.
We also have a very cheap yellow plastic line that I attach to anything solid, even cc club charging plugins if necessary. It works really well then the boot is up tied to the rubber dibbets.

We have the awning rail clothes line ane seem to be the only ones who like it. Yes, clothes do touch the side of Cali but Mr B washes any muck off the side before I put any clothes out. We don't put any great weight on it - mainly towels after showers and walking tops/socks that I've washed out.

We use twisted elastic travel clothes lines across awning or across from mirror to close posts - easy to put up for a range of lengths and no pegs required.

Thank you so much
John
Now fitted to the van- Perfect replacement. The only slight difference is the letters are 15mm high and the old ones were 14mm according to my ruler.

Now fitted to the van- Perfect replacement. The only slight difference is the letters are 15mm high and the old ones were 14mm according to my ruler.

Would you mind posting a picture of it please? Would be interested to see what it looks like. Thanks.

Back