Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The countdown has commenced....

Jonathan Duke

Jonathan Duke

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello!

So..... We've just pulled the trigger, and ordered a T6 Cali Beach from our local dealership..... Now for the long Winter.......

As a couple, we enjoy touring about, and the great outdoors. Currently, mostly traveling by either bicycle, motorcycle or in our current Mini Paceman (with bicycles strapped on the back.) We have traveled through Europe and North America on motorcycle and throughout UK/Ireland on bicycle.

Having moved into the City Centre over a year ago we were able to reduce from two cars to one (however, I did retain my motorcycle also.) We only have a single underground parking space, so becoming more efficient was part of the overall plan.

Our Cali is intended for pretty much daily use, with expected annual mileage of between 20-25K. It will be our only vehicle, excluding my motorcycle (which I use to commute when possible.) My Wife, will split her commutes between the Cali and train.

Moving into the City, has also brought with it some un-expected opportunities. We have been successfully AirBNB'ing our apartment over the Summer, and this revenue will part fund our new Cali Adventure. Having the ability, to take off for a few nights at short notice, with our bicycles and Jack Russell on-board, brought us to the Cali. We have a height restriction in our parking space of 2.1m also, so the Cali was a good fit. I had initially been considering a Ford Wellhouse Custom however, changed to the VW because of reasons such as this Forum for one.

Here's a summary of our chosen spec.
  • T6 California Beach - 150 PS, 6-Speed
  • Pearlescent White
  • 17" Chassis w/ 17" wheels etc
  • 7 Seat Option (2x will probably be removed, and only used as-and-when)
  • Parking Heater
  • Double Glazing
  • Cruise Control
  • Parking Sensors
  • VW Tailgate Cycle Carrier
  • Exterior Pack
  • Comfort Bed Extension
I've found this forum very useful to-date in helping me make my decisions on above. Thanks to all of it's contributors!

Anyway.... That's enough from me for now! Hopefully see you on the road from Spring, 2017!

Jonathan

Good stuff , welcome!

Do rember that bikes fiitted on the tailgate bikerack ( or is yours gonna be on the towbar?)could well end up over 2m so try things out when it comes to it;) if the garage is only 2,1m

Also wonder if 17" rims make the verhicle higher.....others will jump in on this as i have steels.

Have you conciderd DSG , it drives very smooth.
There are discussions on the forum on pro's/ cons...

Thanks.

Good advice there!

Yes, the tailgate height was definitely worth considering. For day runs, we'll probably just throw the bicycles in the cabin. Plus, as our bicycle parking/racks are situated on the ground floor of the carpark, which doesn't have a height restriction, we'll load/un-load them there before going underground to our parking space etc. A bit of a nuisance, but the tow-bar, electrics plus rack costs more in-total and has its disadvantages also.

Think the 17" comes with a lower profile tyre? Hopefully there'll be enough forgiveness in the clearance anyway.

I briefly considered the DSG, but with the increased price tag, I voted for the "haven't had it before, won't miss it" theory.

My only lingering thought is around the "comfort" dashboard..... However, it's a fair few beer tokens, for a little it of plush... Plus, I like beer!

Thanks again!

Jonathan

Thanks.

Good advice there!

Yes, the tailgate height was definitely worth considering. For day runs, we'll probably just throw the bicycles in the cabin. Plus, as our bicycle parking/racks are situated on the ground floor of the carpark, which doesn't have a height restriction, we'll load/un-load them there before going underground to our parking space etc. A bit of a nuisance, but the tow-bar, electrics plus rack costs more in-total and has its disadvantages also.

Think the 17" comes with a lower profile tyre? Hopefully there'll be enough forgiveness in the clearance anyway.

I briefly considered the DSG, but with the increased price tag, I voted for the "haven't had it before, won't miss it" theory.

My only lingering thought is around the "comfort" dashboard..... However, it's a fair few beer tokens, for a little it of plush... Plus, I like beer!

Thanks again!

Jonathan
If you're not too worried about the 17" chassis then I'd take the 17" alloy upgrade off and then just buy a set on eBay. You can pick up some new devonports with new tyres on eBay for about £600. You can sell the wheels that come with it on eBay or forum for around £500.
That means you can get a £970 upgrade for £100. Every little helps.
I got my dealer to fit the wheels before I picked it up.

Re height and clearnance - you could get it lowered by your dealer -30mm. That could help.

T6 California Beach - 150 PS, 6-Speed
  • Pearlescent White
  • 17" Chassis w/ 17" wheels etc
  • 7 Seat Option (2x will probably be removed, and only used as-and-when)
  • Parking Heater
  • Double Glazing
  • Cruise Control
  • Parking Sensors
  • VW Tailgate Cycle Carrier
  • Exterior Pack
  • Comfort Bed Extension
Excellent - similar spec to the T6 Beach we have on order.

If you have children, I am appalled to have to warn you that the nine month wait for the delivery of a child is nothing compared with the nine month wait for the delivery of a T6 Beach.

If you don't have children, I am sorry to say that you will have no concept of the agonising wait you have in store.

Thanks.

Good advice there!

Thanks again!

Jonathan
The comfort dash does come with the 3-zone climate control as part of the package...